Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Overlooked at the start of the 2013-2014 year

Randy Cruz sophomore Leigh 133 Lbs - While I don't think Cruz will be contending for a national title, I do think he'll prove himself to be worthy of a top 8 ranking as the year progresses. While his NCAA tournament was disappointing he did win the EIWA's and finish the year with a 32-13 record. He kept Graff to a 3 point decision, major decisioned Scotti Sentes and had a barnburner 1 point loss to AA Cody Brewer. I see him breaking through this year and getting his first of what will be three AA awards.

Josh Kreimier senior Air Force 157 lbs- I'm known for making outlandish predictions and going out on as far on the limb as a leaf, so I might as well live up to expectation. He does have some head scratching losses, but he also has some key note victories, one of which includes a royal thumping of 4th place David Bonin. I feel that Kreimier is good enough to be a surprise NCAA finalist this season. I predict a breakout season, and that he'll make noise immediately.

Lee Munster junior Northwestern 174 lbs - After a somewhat promising campaign as a freshman that included a Midlands title, Munster slipped off the radar into a sophomore slump last year. I'll think he'll rebound as a junior this year and be a force to be reckoned with.

Adam Chalfant senior Indiana HWT - I expected big things out of him last year, and they didn't happen. He seems like he can hang with about anyone, but yet can't quite get to the point of defeating them. I think he has the talent and ability to be not only an AA but on the higher end of the award stand.

I feel all four of these guys are overlooked at the present moment and not many expect much. Kreimier especially.

I'm assuming, but Beckman had one of the best redshirt seasons out of anyone last year. I fully intend Cruz to move up based on results, but that's one idiot's opinion.

I think the lineup would be stronger with both Beckman and Cruz in the line up. I'd rather see Beckman at 141 and Cruz at 133 though. Just another idiot's opinion. We'll see what happens.

Munster's gotta' get a whole lot more offense. Way too ineffective last year.

To my mind, he's kind of a 'tweener, what with the wrestling and judo. He doesn't have a great level change, that kids with strong wrestling backgrounds have, but also isn't real creative with the judo skills he must have as a top junior.

In the "who's the strongest thread" someone mentioned Penn's Yoshi Nakamura, who had a strong judo background, and was very dynamic and unorthodox from his feet. Like to see more of that from Munster.

Cruz is very tall for 133 and will be building himself into a 141 pounder for the 2014-15 season after a red shirt year.

I stand corrected. Thanks Jay. I didn't realize that Cruz was a true freshman last year. I thought he had already redshirted.

He originally was using last year as his redshirt year, but Santoro deferred the shirt after he thumped incumbent Laike Gardner 14-0 in the Midlands' blood-round match.

Nebraska has three guys for two spots unless one jumps up a weight class or two or cuts big-time. Sueflohn, James Green and Destin McCauley are all potential 149lbers. Green went 157lbs last year but went 145.5 at University Nationals and won it. Can either Sueflohn, who went 149lbs last year or McCauley cut to 141 or does one of these guys have to go 165lbs if nobody can cut to 141? RS is a possibility too.

Cruz is very tall for 133 and will be building himself into a 141 pounder for the 2014-15 season after a red shirt year.

I stand corrected. Thanks Jay. I didn't realize that Cruz was a true freshman last year. I thought he had already redshirted.

He originally was using last year as his redshirt year, but Santoro deferred the shirt after he thumped incumbent Laike Gardner 14-0 in the Midlands' blood-round match.

Pretty sure Gardner ended up having surgery, anyway. He was banged up by Midlands.

Danny Mitchell of AU at 197 is going to make a bunch of noise.

Not really overlooked..but perhaps off the current radar is Hwt. Nick Gwiazdowski of NC State.

not sure how Mitchell can be overlooked. he's underachieved each of his last two season.

The Cruz Bro's will both RS next yr {IMO} :)

Cruz Redshirted this year did he not? I think Beckman beats out cruz head to head I know Gulibon handled cruz a few times this season. I'm looking forward to Gulibon Beckman rivalry renewed. I think Gulibon gets they better of those exchanges before its all said and done.

Not really overlooked..but perhaps off the current radar is Hwt. Nick Gwiazdowski of NC State.

not sure how Mitchell can be overlooked. he's underachieved each of his last two season.

Danny Mitchell had a slew of phsyical problems the last two years he competed....although he didn't underachieve when he wrestled J. Kennedy.

^^^King of Bing, Yes, Danny Mitchell's successfully rehabbed from his Aug 2012 surgery. Won the 2013 Edinboro Open and National Collegiate Open titles, going 7-0 for RS 2013, after rehab. Yes, he competed 2012 physically off-song. I'm rooting for Mitchell to stay healthy and to AA this coming season.

Danny Mitchell had a slew of phsyical problems the last two years he competed....although he didn't underachieve when he wrestled J. Kennedy.

NCAA performance of J. Kennedy and D. Mitchell:

J. Kennedy (All American): INJ at EIWA; 1-2; 3-2 (R12); 4-3 (8th) - never redshirted

D. Mitchell (not): 1-2; 3-2 (R16); 1-2; RS; TBD