jackwebster

Carter Young WTT?

Anyone care to explain this? Was his WTT a total fluke? Or, could he have regressed in just 5 months?

Judging by his poor performance on his feet while wearing the Orange & Black, I'm not sure it's a folkstyle vs freestyle issue (granted, he has problems on bottom like the rest of the team.)

Edited by jackwebster

41 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Anyone care to explain this? Was his WTT a total fluke? Or, could he have regressed in just 5 months?

Judging by his poor performance on his feet while wearing the Orange & Black, I'm not sure it's a folkstyle vs freestyle issue (granted, he has problems on bottom like the rest of the team.)

probably a bit of an over performance. he did lose to other high schoolers that year too. also important to remember that he’s up a weight from where he’s probably best. he doesn’t look very strong at 141. 

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Freestyle and down at 134.5lbs.  Mat wrestling is a huge factor in folkstyle and so is size/strength.  Look at Micic, for example.  Weight classes exist for a reason.  Having the 2nd best at your weight when you aren't the best dictates you either move up or sit out.

45 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Freestyle and down at 134.5lbs.  Mat wrestling is a huge factor in folkstyle and so is size/strength.  Look at Micic, for example.  Weight classes exist for a reason.  Having the 2nd best at your weight when you aren't the best dictates you either move up or sit out.

Another example is Beau Bartlett

6 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Curious, have you seen him wrestle?  My recollection is he has been able to get in on shots on everybody he has wrestled.  His 3 losses were to 4 year to 6 years kids who've been around and know how to counter, in that regard folk is much different that free.  

10 hours ago, jackwebster said:

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Curious, have you seen him wrestle?  My recollection is he has been able to get in on shots on everybody he has wrestled.  His 3 losses were to 4 year to 6 years kids who've been around and know how to counter, in that regard folk is much different that free.  

What you just described is a poor performance on his feet. 

16 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Word. He's wild and can get to the legs; but, he gets stretched out. 

Ionel, 

Judging by what I said above, I have seen the exact young that you describe below:

11 hours ago, ionel said:

Edited by jackwebster

14 hours ago, ionel said:

He does get to his single, but he doesn't appear to have the sort of speed, and/or explosivity, that I'm used to seeing from elite lightweights (let alone national team level guys at 61-70 kg). 

Nor the relentlessness, and unflagging gas tank of someone like De Santo.

Perhaps he'll look different at 133, but he doesn't look at all undersized at 141 (as, e.g. Pletcher did his true freshman year).  In fact, wrestling for anyone other than John Smith, I'm not sure I'd expect him to go down to 33.

That said, he also beat some good guys to get to the Junior Trials finals, where he gave Mendez a good fight.  And Mendez has beaten a few AAs while in high school.

22 hours ago, jackwebster said:

To say I have been unimpressed/disappointed in Carter Young this year is an understatement.  I thought for sure he was going to contend to get on the podium this year, now I'm not sure if he will qualify for the tournament

Also, everyone talking about him going down to 133, when do you think that is going to happen?  Mastro and Fix are going to be at 125 and 133 for a while, he will probably never go 133 on this team he should be getting himself stronger for 141 going forward

I think in hindsight he is definitely a guy that could have used a redshirt. With Cannon at 133 and Tal-Shahar at 141 he almost certainly would have gotten one at Northwestern, so he was probably pretty locked in on training freestyle this fall rather than prepping for a college folkstyle season. Then all of the sudden he's on a brand new campus thrust into a starting spot for one of the country's premier programs. Considering those circumstances I'd say his 7-3 record with all losses to top-20 guys is pretty respectable. I think that right now he's still a year away, but as long as he doesn't get discouraged and continues his growth/development he can be a very productive guy starter for years.  

22 hours ago, Le duke said:

He would be a 133 on a lot of teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, too bad the defending national champions at 133 and 141 are on his team so he has to wrestle 2 weight classes up lol

20 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

What you just described is a poor performance on his feet. 

Maybe I should have been more clear.  Loss to these 3 because countered scrambling on the mat, this would not work in freestyle.  He has very good a varied technique on his feet but experience wrestlers have beat him on the mat scrambling for the takedown, he will figure it out, maybe not this year but it stuff a redshirt prob isn't going to help him with cause he wouldn't have faced those 3 in redshirt schedule.

I have no idea what I'm talking about

12 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

To say I have been unimpressed/disappointed in Carter Young this year is an understatement.  I thought for sure he was going to contend to get on the podium this year, now I'm not sure if he will qualify for the tournament

Also, everyone talking about him going down to 133, when do you think that is going to happen?  Mastro and Fix are going to be at 125 and 133 for a while, he will probably never go 133 on this team he should be getting himself stronger for 141 going forward

Him and FIx are close.  He knew that Fix has 3 years left to compete at Oklahoma St., so Carter knew what he was getting himself into when he transferred there.  With that being said, I agree with you 100% that he should get as strong as he can to compete at 141.