Casper

Lung timeouts? Not with Refs

Watched a match that took nearly 20 minutes to finish - a ton of Ref Timeouts to review the video. Two challenges in the match.

Am glad they are working to get things right but it sure interrupts the flow of the match. Seems to hid a wrestler who is working hard with the constant interruptions/rest periods.

Makes the 'untied shoelace" gimmick a thing of the past if this keeps up.

The coaches challenge can also serve as a lung timeout as well.  I don't blame them too much because it's in the sake of trying to make the right call.  But obviously changes the match dynamics when you have these breaks.  Provides benefits to certain more muscular but lower endurance types.  And a penalty for the high endurance guys

I am generally against replay reviews in all sports.  They don't do enough good to justify the stoppages in play.  I get that it's very difficult politically because the TV viewers are seeing the replays and sometimes people will think a bad call happened (though they're not always correct, and most of the time replay wouldn't be clear and convincing so would be irrelevant).

It's particularly bad in wrestling because the stoppages badly undermine two pillars of the sport, the importance of conditioning to the competition and the visual benefit of continuous action for the spectators.  

Replay ends up dependent on the same problem as the original call -- the fallibility and judgment of a human. 

And it's clearly misused in wrestling with obvious use for lung breaks.  

Not worth it.

(I'm not against electronic umpiring. It worked incredibly well in the tennis tournament last week. It's all computerized.  No challenges.  The electronics call the lines, the players 100% accept it, and they just play.  No human fallibilty, no mistrust, and zero delays in the action.  Terrific. But that can't translate to wrestling.)

12 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Starocci vs Kem had 3 stoppages totalling 7 minutes. We call that a re breather. Or CPR, if that is more to one's liking.

When Brands threw the Kem brick i instantly called it a lung brick.  But I think you are correct, it was more if a CPR brick.  Kem was stuck on bottom needed a fresh start and new air in the lungs, the CPR brick worked, just Brands fighting/cheating for his wrestler.  Its the thing that I've always found odd, wrestling is about 1 on 1 on the mat, the Brands competed at the highest level in the world and obtained that by being the best on the mat not from help from their coaches during the match but from training, coaching etc prior to match.  So why do they want to go over the line and cheat for their wrestler during the match?  :(

I have no idea what I'm talking about

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

When Brands threw the Kem brick i instantly called it a lung brick.  But I think you are correct, it was more if a CPR brick.  Kem was stuck on bottom needed a fresh start and new air in the lungs, the CPR brick worked, just Brands fighting/cheating for his wrestler.  Its the thing that I've always found odd, wrestling is about 1 on 1 on the mat, the Brands competed at the highest level in the world and obtained that by being the best on the mat not from help from their coaches during the match but from training, coaching etc prior to match.  So why do they want to go over the line and cheat for their wrestler during the match?  :(

Because cheating is not beneath them?

Didn't they even say something like win at all costs, cheat at all costs in the Big special? I recall hearing something along those lines. 

Doesn't matter. This is all in good fun.

Edited by TBar1977

Listen to their shrieking during the Brands/Brooks quarterfinal from B1Gs last year. They are not of sound mind.

Just before Nelson bit Brooks, but after he scratched Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Because cheating is not beneath them?

Didn't they even say something like win at all costs, cheat at all costs in the Big special? I recall hearing something along those lines. 

Doesn't matter. This is all in good fun.

Yes they did.  :(

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Listen to their shrieking during the Brands/Brooks quarterfinal from B1Gs last year. They are not of sound kind.

Just before Nelson bit Brooks, but after he scratched Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was NUTZ!

25 minutes ago, ionel said:

Throwing the brick is cheating now?  Gibbons even said that when Brands throws the brick, he is usually right about what he's challenging.

1 hour ago, Bozak2018 said:

Throwing the brick is cheating now?  Gibbons even said that when Brands throws the brick, he is usually right about what he's challenging.

But in this case he got 7 or 8 minutes worth of BTN Network Prime Time stoppages in this match and he wasn't right about anything. 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

cheating? isn't it within the rules to challenge a call?

I think there should be extremely few use cases of refs deciding to review their own calls. Maybe end of period situations to figure out if time was out or not but am struggling to think of another situation where it should be ok. Make your call and stand by it unless a coach challenges it. If no challenge, move on. It has become apparent refs are using the self review as a crutch. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

That was DeSanto, right? 

the situation im talking about

so you are saying, b/c desanto did that... rby and other pSU guys can pull the knee out? 

b/c no one can say anything b/c it was done to desanto a guy who had a questionable action or perhaps even a history.

thats a great defense

19 minutes ago, GockeS said:

the situation im talking about

so you are saying, b/c desanto did that... rby and other pSU guys can pull the knee out? 

b/c no one can say anything b/c it was done to desanto a guy who had a questionable action or perhaps even a history.

thats a great defense

Where did I say that? Can you please link that post?