Sign in to follow this  
Casper

Oklahoma State is not looking good

Watching a number of matches, the Cowboys appear to be struggling. Fix is looking tough but seems to be having trouble with guys he should be majoring. The Ferrari is in the shop for body work and unavailable. Too many of the guys look tentative and unable to nail takedowns. Coach Smith is looking more like a Grumpy Grandpa than a top tier coach.

What is going on with them?

2 minutes ago, Casper said:

Watching a number of matches, the Cowboys appear to be struggling. Fix is looking tough but seems to be having trouble with guys he should be majoring. The Ferrari is in the shop for body work and unavailable. Too many of the guys look tentative and unable to nail takedowns. Coach Smith is looking more like a Grumpy Grandpa than a top tier coach.

What is going on with them?

You are aware that they almost lost one of their teammates ~4 days before last weekend's duals?  Look at what happened to the football team couple days after the plane crash.  Not everyone can just brush this kind've stuff off and just go back to practice as normal.

I have no idea what I'm talking about

11 minutes ago, Casper said:

It is performance before the accident, not just after.

They don't appear to have the fire this year for some reason.

Any specific duals?

23 minutes ago, ionel said:

You are aware that they almost lost one of their teammates ~4 days before last weekend's duals?  Look at what happened to the football team couple days after the plane crash.  Not everyone can just brush this kind've stuff off and just go back to practice as normal.

Are you really comparing a non-fatal car accident to the plane crash?

8 minutes ago, Janderson133 said:

Are you really comparing a non-fatal car accident to the plane crash?

I'd guess in terms of impact on athletes similar.  Near fatal event for a close teammate & a leader on the team v fatal 2 coaches from another sport & 2 alum.  Yeah hard to tell which affects college kids more, everyone is different.

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I'm probably being oversensitive, but it feels a little sleazy to be relishing Oklahoma State's struggles in light of the near death incident that took place.  

i don't think its egregious. If Ferrari was hurt in some permanent sense it would be, but everyones big picture is still intact.

52 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

i don't think its egregious. If Ferrari was hurt in some permanent sense it would be, but everyones big picture is still intact.

yeah not too egregious.  a little sleazy is how it felt to me.  

I thought OKST was looking pretty dang salty up until this weekend. Given the circumstances, a drop in performance is understandable.

John Smith has been sporting a scowl on his face since I started following wrestling. Doesn't seem like he is becoming any more surly to me.

I have no idea what I'm farting about

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

One thing i would say is that these topics aren't popping up if OSU wins both those duals...but I think the backup won at least one of those right?

No I looked it up, unless Ferrari bonuses the ISU guy it didn't make a difference in either case...

7 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I'm probably being oversensitive, but it feels a little sleazy to be relishing Oklahoma State's struggles in light of the near death incident that took place.  

I'm with you, I'm saving the jocularity and mocking for when he makes his triumphant return.

2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

No I looked it up, unless Ferrari bonuses the ISU guy it didn't make a difference in either case...

I think Iowa State is very underrated as a dual team.  Not many weak spots through the entire lineup.  

Using Intermat, although they are only expected to have one AA (Carr winning at 157), they are expected to have NCAA qualifiers at every weight with an average rank across the team of 18.7.  

The Northern Iowa match felt a little bit like a lot of things went against them.  I'm not sure if that means something is wrong with the team or if there are a number if different minor stories that added up to something bigger (the upset).  Most notably, the pin by Runyon over Plott would seem unlikely to be repeated.  Couple guys coming back from injury, Fix not able to get a bonus over Biscoglia, etc.  

11 hours ago, flyingcement said:

yeah not too egregious.  a little sleazy is how it felt to me.  

As someone who works with Community Health Worker training and Trauma 101,  the thing is many people react differently to various situations.   I didn't feel it was sleazy.  I was a sophomore in college before I really had super close trauma in terms of friend, family memeber or teammates.   Being "away from home"  and trying to keep moving is not super easy.    Is it as tough as losing someone outright (not in most eyes), but I can't judge (or fault)  these young men that are struggling with such a vocal leader being sidelined.