In the D'Emilio thread I started @Riz23 mentioned that among the current crop of OSU wrestlers, he had never seen D'Emilio or Sasso gas.

That got me thinking about who would be on your All-Time Gas Tank team. I am going to narrow the qualification down a bit though. It is not enough for the wrestler to not have gassed himself (or herself), but they also have to have broken the gas tank of one of their opponents, too.

I don't have someone for every weight, and I have only followed wrestling recently, so I do not have a good historical perspective, but I will start things off with a few suggestions:

• Yianni Diakomihalis - Never seen him gas, and watching him break Musukaev at the 2019 Yasar Dogu is the video I play whenever I am feeling down and need to be reminded that there is beauty in this world. (I get it, this is the college board and that is an international event, so sue me). That was the purest example of a wrestler wilting and quitting I have ever seen. It will be shown in university classrooms for generations to illustrate the concept.
  • Nick Lee - All forward pressure, all the time. Last year in the NCAA semis against Rivera and this year against Eierman are examples of very high level guys who gave in to the pace.
  • Austin DeSanto - Another all forward pressure, all the time guy. I don't have a specific example of him breaking someone, but I have to believe they exist. Help a brother out.
  • Gas Tank Gary - It's right there in the name. Now, I have no idea if that is just a great nickname, what with the alliteration and all, or if it is bona fide, but he makes my list because of the alliteration thing.

Who else does the collection wisdom of the board have for the list?

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In the D'Emilio thread I started @Riz23 mentioned that among the current crop of OSU wrestlers, he had never seen D'Emilio or Sasso gas.

That got me thinking about who would be on your All-Time Gas Tank team. I am going to narrow the qualification down a bit though. It is not enough for the wrestler to not have gassed himself (or herself), but they also have to have broken the gas tank of one of their opponents, too.

I don't have someone for every weight, and I have only followed wrestling recently, so I do not have a good historical perspective, but I will start things off with a few suggestions:

• Yianni Diakomihalis - Never seen him gas, and watching him break Musukaev at the 2019 Yasar Dogu is the video I play whenever I am feeling down and need to be reminded that there is beauty in this world. (I get it, this is the college board and that is an international event, so sue me). That was the purest example of a wrestler wilting and quitting I have ever seen. It will be shown in university classrooms for generations to illustrate the concept.
  • Nick Lee - All forward pressure, all the time. Last year in the NCAA semis against Rivera and this year against Eierman are examples of very high level guys who gave in to the pace.
  • Austin DeSanto - Another all forward pressure, all the time guy. I don't have a specific example of him breaking someone, but I have to believe they exist. Help a brother out.
  • Gas Tank Gary - It's right there in the name. Now, I have no idea if that is just a great nickname, what with the alliteration and all, or if it is bona fide, but he makes my list because of the alliteration thing.

How is this an "All-Time" topic without Brands(plural),Metcalf or McIlravy being listed?  I would also say that Sanderson never seemed to tire whenever I watched him wrestle.  

Edited by MSU158

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I spend more time on the International forum and I really liked that match you posted.  Down by 9...his opponents had two extensive breaks with the challenges too.

10 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

How is this an "All-Time" topic without Brands(plural),Metcalf or McIlravy being listed?  I would also say that Sanderson never seemed to tire whenever I watched him wrestle.  

I answered that before you asked the question.

8 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

I have only followed wrestling recently, so I do not have a good historical perspective

Though, in fairness, I did just watch the BTN special on the Brands Brothers and I should have had them on the list. Mea Culpa.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

13 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

au contraire, who mentions a group of Iowa all-time gas tank wrestlers and leaves out Mark Ironside?! ;-)

Edited by gromit

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I believe Desanto won by stalling disqualification vs Dylan Duncan a couple years ago.

3 minutes ago, gromit said:

au contraire, who mentions a group of Iowa all-time gas tank wrestlers and leaves out Mark Ironside?! ;-)

He definitely deserves credit as well. I just didn’t want to look biased by just naming Hawkeyes!

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I answered that before you asked the question.

Though, in fairness, I did just watch the BTN special on the Brands Brothers and I should have had them on the list. Mea Culpa.

I am so confused.  It says I was quoted,  but I don't remember saying what I was quotes today in any threads.

1 minute ago, juniorvarsity said:

I cannot recall a time when a Penn State wrestler gassed. 

The Altons, in magnificent fashion. Kerk last year. Berge against Marinelli. Jimmy Gulibon had his moments. Quentin wright had a few rough matches his... Sophomore year I believe? (But he turned it on at NCAAs)

I have no idea what I'm farting about

Cael, David Taylor, Brent Metcalf, Lincoln McIlravy, and Jason Nolf come to mind for superior conditioning at the highest level. Metcalf had a reputation on the senior circuit reputation of gassing his opponents so bad even in a loss that his opponent would be so wiped out that they would lose the next match, thus costing him an opportunity at repechage. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

The Altons, in magnificent fashion. Kerk last year. Berge against Marinelli. Jimmy Gulibon had his moments. Quentin wright had a few rough matches his... Sophomore year I believe? (But he turned it on at NCAAs)

I have no idea what I'm farting about

if matches were all two-minutes max, Andrew Alton would've been a multiple time NCAA champ

Edited by gromit

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Ben Askren never gassed   I can' only recall a few multiple time champs gassing.  Snyder always looks out of breath but he never gasses.  Gabe Dean set a good pace.  

Where is the love for Andrew Alton?

Cary Kolat comes to mind

3 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Funny thing about this is you were the one that brought up Ironside...

that wasn't the example I was thinking of though...in '94 he absolutely owned TJ Jaworsky, beating him three times and entering NCAAs undefeated, only to gas badly in the semis vs Babak Mohammadi (Oregon St)...

Edited by gromit