1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In the D'Emilio thread I started @Riz23 mentioned that among the current crop of OSU wrestlers, he had never seen D'Emilio or Sasso gas.

That got me thinking about who would be on your All-Time Gas Tank team. I am going to narrow the qualification down a bit though. It is not enough for the wrestler to not have gassed himself (or herself), but they also have to have broken the gas tank of one of their opponents, too.

I don't have someone for every weight, and I have only followed wrestling recently, so I do not have a good historical perspective, but I will start things off with a few suggestions:

• Yianni Diakomihalis - Never seen him gas, and watching him break Musukaev at the 2019 Yasar Dogu is the video I play whenever I am feeling down and need to be reminded that there is beauty in this world. (I get it, this is the college board and that is an international event, so sue me). That was the purest example of a wrestler wilting and quitting I have ever seen. It will be shown in university classrooms for generations to illustrate the concept.
  • Nick Lee - All forward pressure, all the time. Last year in the NCAA semis against Rivera and this year against Eierman are examples of very high level guys who gave in to the pace.
  • Austin DeSanto - Another all forward pressure, all the time guy. I don't have a specific example of him breaking someone, but I have to believe they exist. Help a brother out.
  • Gas Tank Gary - It's right there in the name. Now, I have no idea if that is just a great nickname, what with the alliteration and all, or if it is bona fide, but he makes my list because of the alliteration thing.

Who else does the collection wisdom of the board have for the list?

Gary Traub absolutely earned his nickname.  He was viewed as a depth guy by many coming in but earned the starting spot and the adulation of the Covelli Center crowd every time he beat a more highly touted opponent.  He was a smaller heavyweight early on (he's a little bigger now) but wore bigger guys down with tough handfighting.  Gary often looked a little overmatched in the first period but by the third he was getting to his snatch single and scoring.  Traub looks like a 40 year old steel worker and loved to play to the crowd, which added to his appeal.

If or when Spencer Lee is pushed to the 3rd period, he often gases or, if you prefer, runs out of energy.

Top non-stoppers include Nico Megaludis,  Nolf, De Satan-o, Nick Lee, and Retherford.  Yes, a lot of PSU guys.  

The more muscle one possesses, the more likely one is to gas.  It's not inevitable, but it often poses a challenge. 

Same with dramatic weight cuts, of course.

2 hours ago, Riz23 said:

I would say from my memory Zain Rutherford. Don’t recall him ever gassing and he would absolutely break his opponents physically when he was on top 

His match with Sorensen at Carver his Sr year he appeared on the ropes a bit at the end/overtime.

(Although he may have been sick?) 

Edited by D3UC157

9 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

His match with Sorensen at Carver his Sr year he appeared on the ropes a bit at the end/overtime.

(Although he may have been sick?) 

That was his junior year and Cael said something about him having a 101 fever or something in the post match interview , idk if that’s true but Zain did absolutely crush him later that season at ncaas pinning him in the first period I believe 

24 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That was his junior year and Cael said something about him having a 101 fever or something in the post match interview , idk if that’s true but Zain did absolutely crush him later that season at ncaas pinning him in the first period I believe 

Yes, yes, thank you. How quickly the years do slip away.

Edited by D3UC157

Isn't it just that the guys who are winning all the time never look tired. Kyle Dake, I know, is a good counter-example. He could look gassed even while winning. But for the most part, the guys who look tired are the guys who are about to lose. 

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

What has changed your way of thinking?

Watching guys who constantly gas who come from elite programs. You know they're putting in the work and it just keeps happening. 

Also, when I was a kid I'd run 3 miles 6 days a week while still training and live wrestling and I'd ALWAYS run out of gas. I used to think it was just because of the weight cut but it never mattered, I never had anything left in the 3rd. In HS I'd stay on bottom as long as I could to rest then escape with around 30 seconds left.

39 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Didn't some folks sat that the way you beat S Lee was by keeping it close early and surge late bc gastank? Not true, but I remember the argument.

Probably based on the Picc matches..... where he seemed to fade in the 3rd round. 

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In the D'Emilio thread I started @Riz23 mentioned that among the current crop of OSU wrestlers, he had never seen D'Emilio or Sasso gas.

That got me thinking about who would be on your All-Time Gas Tank team. I am going to narrow the qualification down a bit though. It is not enough for the wrestler to not have gassed himself (or herself), but they also have to have broken the gas tank of one of their opponents, too.

I don't have someone for every weight, and I have only followed wrestling recently, so I do not have a good historical perspective, but I will start things off with a few suggestions:

• Yianni Diakomihalis - Never seen him gas, and watching him break Musukaev at the 2019 Yasar Dogu is the video I play whenever I am feeling down and need to be reminded that there is beauty in this world. (I get it, this is the college board and that is an international event, so sue me). That was the purest example of a wrestler wilting and quitting I have ever seen. It will be shown in university classrooms for generations to illustrate the concept.
  • Nick Lee - All forward pressure, all the time. Last year in the NCAA semis against Rivera and this year against Eierman are examples of very high level guys who gave in to the pace.
  • Austin DeSanto - Another all forward pressure, all the time guy. I don't have a specific example of him breaking someone, but I have to believe they exist. Help a brother out.
  • Gas Tank Gary - It's right there in the name. Now, I have no idea if that is just a great nickname, what with the alliteration and all, or if it is bona fide, but he makes my list because of the alliteration thing.

Who else does the collection wisdom of the board have for the list?

I thought Yianni was on the ropes against Lovett in Vegas. He won but appeared to be sucking wind in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, steen-hooph said:

I thought Yianni was on the ropes against Lovett in Vegas. He won but appeared to be sucking wind in the 3rd.

Oh yeah.  He threw a lung brick at the end of regulation and was awarded an insane amount of rest 

7 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

The Altons, in magnificent fashion. Kerk last year. Berge against Marinelli. Jimmy Gulibon had his moments. Quentin wright had a few rough matches his... Sophomore year I believe? (But he turned it on at NCAAs)

I have no idea what I'm farting about

One of my favorite matches ever wrestled.  The best thing about this is Grajales was notorious for having a terrible gas tank as well.