Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

Would Sanderson have gone undefeated freshman year at 197?

Maybe they were the lucky ones? He grew bigger as he matured but never lost the speed he has as a much lighter wrestler. He was fast - and this fooled many opponents as they were not used to such quickness coupled with his talent. He was excellent in High School and kept getting better in College.

After his first two years we were hearing 'he is afraid to move up in weight where he'll get his azz handed to him'. His final year he did move up and the result was the same. None of the bigger wresters could handle him.

He would have done well no matter the weight. Probably still would have gone undefeated.

Guys Koeding, Hartung and Fullhart would have been destroyed by Cael. Hartung was Cael's training partner in 03 and 04 and from what he has said he never beat him even in practice. We have one official match in folk with those top guys at 197:

Cael Sanderson dec Lee Fullhart 5-2 in the 2001 Midlands Finals.

Cormier was his toughest opponent his last two years or any year and that was at 184. Cormier destroyed Hartung many times in freestyle. So I really dont think the tougher guys were at 197. Vering was able to move up and win at 197 in 2003. Cael would have won at 197 his freshman year.

Fullhart I believe has more than one win against Sanderson in freestyle, but keep in mind that Sanderson has more wins in freestyle vs Fullhart than does Fullhart against him.

Also keep in mind that Sanderson was a better folkstyle wrestler than he is/was freestyle.

Last note, Jon Trenge owns a folkstyle win over Lee Fullhart.

Fullhart I believe has more than one win against Sanderson in freestyle, but keep in mind that Sanderson has more wins in freestyle vs Fullhart than does Fullhart against him.

Also keep in mind that Sanderson was a better folkstyle wrestler than he is/was freestyle.

Last note, Jon Trenge owns a folkstyle win over Lee Fullhart.

Jon Trenge and Lee Fullhart split at Mindlands. Fullhart beat him in 2001 2-1 and Trenge beat him 4-1 in 2002 at Midlands.

Guys your analogies are flawed. You are comparing a senior Sanderson in 2001 vs Fulhart 2 years removed from college competition and the score is still close at 5:2. I am talking about Sanderson freshman year vs Fulhart and Hartung their senior years.

Also, Cormier in freestyle was a different wrestler than Cormier in college. Cormier beat Mocco in freestyle but I doubt a college Cormier beats Mocco.

Guys your analogies are flawed. You are comparing a senior Sanderson in 2001 vs Fulhart 2 years removed from college competition and the score is still close at 5:2. I am talking about Sanderson freshman year vs Fulhart and Hartung their senior years.

Also, Cormier in freestyle was a different wrestler than Cormier in college. Cormier beat Mocco in freestyle but I doubt a college Cormier beats Mocco.

How did Brandon Eggum fare against Hartung in practice?

Anyone know?

Hard to know to be honest. Vertus Jones is the link here-dindt he wrestle Hartung that year? That was the only time Cael was in danger of losing all 4 years and that was his freshman year. Cael was small his freshman year and probale walked around at 190 without cutting that year. Sophmore year he kills everyone at 197. The freshman year I will have to admit HArtung or Fullhart would have been tough. Also someone must know how Eggum did against Tim-they wrstled live everyday.

yes, they have weight classes for a reason.

Good thing Stephen Abas wasn't at 133 because he would have lost to Guerero or whomever...maybe because he was smaller

who cares?

Unless you are positing a hypothetical world where Cael was proportionately bigger.

Good thing Cael wasn't at some other weight which he wasn't at because he wasn't that size because there was good wrestlers there.

This is honestly the stupidest troll attempt you've ever made

As late as 2001 Nationals Fulhart was whooping Eggum and Hartung was looking better than Cormier:

187.25 pounds

1st - Cael Sanderson, Ames, Iowa (Sunkist Kids) dec. Charles Burton, Bloomington, Ind. (New York AC), 4-1

3rd � Lee Fullhart, Iowa City, Iowa (Hawkeye WC) dec. Brandon Eggum, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm), 6-1

5th � Aaron Simpson, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids) dec. Markus Mollica, Watertown, Mass. (Dave Schultz WC), 7-2

7th � John Kading, Lincoln, Neb. (Dave Schultz WC) pin Mark Smith, Del City, Okla. (Sunkist Kids), 0:39

213.75 pounds

1st - Dominic Black, Ft. Carson, Colo. (Army) dec. Chad Lamer, Coralville, Iowa (Hawkeye), 4-0

3rd � Ryan Tobin, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids) dec. Tim Hartung, St. Paul, Minn. (Minnesota Storm), 4-2

5th � Zach Thompson, Ames, Iowa (Cyclone WC) won by inj. Dft. Over Rex Holman, Columbus, Ohio (Sunkist Kids)

7th � Daniel Cormier, Stillwater, Okla. (Cowboy WC) pin Scott Shipman, Columbus, Ohio (Ohio International), 1:42

Tripster makes a good point, it's a good thing that Cael didn't have to wrestle 165 either his first couple years. He would have had to cut off a limb and I don't think the ankle pick would be as effective with only one arm.

Guys God forbid I am saying Sanderson is not as good as everyone thinks.. I am just saying in 1999 it is reasonable Cael takes a loss once or twice at 197.

But that wasn't his weight class. You can say that about any wrestler and create thousands of threads about who would lose moving up a weight. I think all those grease trucks have sullied your brain.

This is no different than all the threads about whether Taylor moves up to challenge Howe or whatever or predictions whether Dake would move up and challenge Taylor this year. Relax, its off season. Our idol is safe.