Lunaticfringe

Wrestlers who finished in a downward spiral

21 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

Not a downward spiral but Jason Tsirtsis was much better early in his career than when he graduated. He did come back senior year to AA, but he wasn’t the same guy as before.

I get his finish fits the title, but even so I don’t really like seeing Tsirtsis used as a prime example here.  Not a big fan of this type of topic to start with, but I think the spirit of it was more for wrestlers that stalled their on the mat progress rather than those whose wrestling experience was hampered by life issues they had no control over.   

Sure the rule changes around that time did have an effect on his wrestling performance and may even have prevented him from repeating even with optimal life conditions. But the myriad of personal tragedies within a few months really took a major toll on him that set back his wresting for a couple years. Having to climb back mentally just to return to the physical state necessary to contend for a medal could just as easily be called a triumph.  Then throw in a physical injury to deal around that same time too.  It’s not like this was just a mental block in terms of competing that a little sports psychology could help with or someone getting complacent or choosing to go out partying to much.  It was a  full on emotional life experiences that turned things upside down affected every aspect of his life.  

People are praised all the time for overcoming a big physical injury in order to then making it back for a end of career run.  It may not have been a major physical injury to start with for him (though he had a physical setback around there too), but there are experts who have said the recovery from a mental trauma to return to an elite athletic form can be similarly long, full of setbacks and taxing.  For that I give him a lot of credit for building himself back up so he could try to finish the college journey on his terms.  

It may not be the career some people feel he should have as a freshman champ, but I’m not putting it in the downhill spiral category when much of the factors here were off the mat circumstances that were out of his control.     

Edited by MadMardigain

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

I get it fits the title, but so don’t really like using Tsirtsis as a strong example here.  Not a big fan of this type of topic to start with, but I think the spirit of it was more for wrestlers that stalled their progress rather than those who where hampered by off the mat issues.   

Sure the rule changes around that time did have an effect on his wrestling performance.  But the myriad of personal tragedies really took a toll on him for a couple years. Having to climb back mentally to get into the physical state necessary to contend you could just as easily call a triumph.  It’s not like this was just a mental block in terms of competing that a little sports psychology could help with, it was an emotional life experience that turned things upside down and affected every aspect of his life   

People are praised all the time for overcoming a big physical injury in order to then making it back for a end of career run.  It may not have been a major physical injury for him, but there are experts who have said the recovery from a mental trauma to return to an elite athletic form similarly be long, full of setbacks and taxing.  For that I give him a lot of credit for building himself back up so he could try to finish the college journey on his terms.  

Out of likes, but this deserves one