Fletcher

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

What previous NCAA upset would be comparable? Would it be bigger than Metcalf losing to Caldwell? Perry over Hendricks? McIlravy or Mocco going down in the finals?

IIRC, Caldwell already had a win over Metcalf, tho that fact was ignored at the time.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

What previous NCAA upset would be comparable? Would it be bigger than Metcalf losing to Caldwell? Perry over Hendricks? McIlravy or Mocco going down in the finals?

The world would implode.  It is not happening unless he gets injured.

5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

IIRC, Caldwell already had a win over Metcalf, tho that fact was ignored at the time.

I am racking my brain and I guess I can look it up, but I feel like Caldwell pinned him, but the next time they wrestled in the All Star match, Metcalf teched him, the same year that Caldwell would go on to beat him in the finals.

2 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I am racking my brain and I guess I can look it up, but I feel like Caldwell pinned him, but the next time they wrestled in the All Star match, Metcalf teched him, the same year that Caldwell would go on to beat him in the finals.

I think that's right.

6 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

but everyone knows it was a fluke pin  ;_;

I have no idea what I'm talking about

1 minute ago, ionel said:

but everyone knows it was a fluke pin  ;_;

ok?  I wasn't saying it was or wasn't, just trying to remember the order of how things happened.  That is exactly why it was an upset though.

1 hour ago, Schuteandscore said:

The other Gable

This.

Steveson is an Olympic champ and so far above his closest competition in D1.

There is always the possibility of a fluke pin, but if it happened it would be on the Dan Gable level.

The other examples here aren’t close.

11 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Spladle!

Folded him like a lawn chair....1:20 on...

6 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

ok?  I wasn't saying it was or wasn't, just trying to remember the order of how things happened.  That is exactly why it was an upset though.

Allstar spladle

Edited by ionel

Right, and was that the year before?  Then the next year Metcalf teched him in the All Star?  Then lost in the finals to Caldwell?  Or was that reversed?  One of the All Star matches he was spladled and the other Caldwell was teched and I just can't remember which year was which and can't seem to put my hands on the results.  

52 minutes ago, ionel said:

Allstar spladle

Ok, actually found it.  The previous year, Caldwell pinned Metcalf in the Cleveland Duals.  The following year in the All Star Metcalf beat Caldwell 19-3.  That same year is the year Caldwell beat him in the finals. 

https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/caldwell-shows-no-fear-in-upset-of-metcalf/861

Edited by Schuteandscore

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Cassar's NCAA upset of Gable is comparable since it was an upset over the same guy.  If Kerk is the upsetter, it is comparable because it is from an smaller PSU Hwt.  Comparing is fun!

17 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Cassar's NCAA upset of Gable is comparable since it was an upset over the same guy.  If Kerk is the upsetter, it is comparable because it is from an smaller PSU Hwt.  Comparing is fun!

Cassar was a little bit better than Kerk is now, and Gable is a lot better than the Gable of then, so I am not sure I see it as comparable.  Interesting selection though.

I feel like Gable could start on his back and he is just too damn strong to get pinned.  I just don't see him losing unless he lets someone keep it close enough to steal it.  You would expect they will game plan so that doesn't happen twice.  

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

I'd forgotten about how bad the ref did not want to call the fall.

Yeah, probably because he had to decide whether bottoms of the shoulder blades were inclusive or not.

I doubt very many people faulted him for that call.

1 minute ago, BadgerMon said:

Yeah, probably because he had to decide whether bottoms of the shoulder blades were inclusive or not.

I doubt very many people faulted him for that call.

ahh ... half the state of Iowa!

2 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

This.

Steveson is an Olympic champ and so far above his closest competition in D1.

There is always the possibility of a fluke pin, but if it happened it would be on the Dan Gable level.

The other examples here aren’t close.

This.

Not the same situation since Gable has 2 losses in his career and isn't wrapping up perfection but it definitely would feel like a Larry Owings over Dan Gable thing. 

Another comparable situation would be if Hidlay beat Nolf in the semis.