Fletcher

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs

6 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

I am racking my brain and I guess I can look it up, but I feel like Caldwell pinned him, but the next time they wrestled in the All Star match, Metcalf teched him, the same year that Caldwell would go on to beat him in the finals.

Caldwell was better than Metcalf. Not only did he pin him, but he beat him in FS convincingly the summer after his NCAA win. Caldwell also pinned Lance Palmer that year too I think. Then he hurt is shoulder roller blading and was never the same wrestler. 

7 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

The other Gable

This is the only answer. 

2 hours ago, IGotAPlan said:

Not the same situation since Gable has 2 losses in his career and isn't wrapping up perfection but it definitely would feel like a Larry Owings over Dan Gable thing. 

Another comparable situation would be if Hidlay beat Nolf in the semis. 

The other Gable wasn’t an Olympic Champ at the time of his loss. Maybe it felt like a bigger deal because of all the attention he got, but I think this Gable losing would be an even bigger upset 

11 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The other Gable wasn’t an Olympic Champ at the time of his loss. Maybe it felt like a bigger deal because of all the attention he got, but I think this Gable losing would be an even bigger upset 

At the time the other Gable was transcendat.  There was no one like him is what I’m saying

26 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

At the time the other Gable was transcendat.  There was no one like him is what I’m saying

There had already been several D1 undefeated 3x NCs.  Gable was not.  Big difference ABC was covering it which had not been done for previous. 

BTW: Dan Hodge would like to meet you out back but he can't make it and asked Uetake to fill in.  

I have no idea what I'm talking about

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

There had already been several D1 undefeated 3x NCs.  Gable was not.  Big difference ABC was covering it which had not been done for previous. 

BTW: Dan Hodge would like to meet you out back but he can't make it and asked Uetake to fill in.  

McCready cries in corner...

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

So let me get this straight, you think Gable is recognized and was recognized because ABC was covering that?  I have to decide if I even want to respond to this

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

I do, however,  agree that there were great wrestlers not getting coverage which adds to it, but you can’t convince me Gable, the original Gable, wasn’t the pinnacle of wrestling. 

8 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I do, however,  agree that there were great wrestlers not getting coverage which adds to it, but you can’t convince me Gable, the original Gable, wasn’t the pinnacle of wrestling. 

I'd agree, best 2x D1 NC ever!

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

You don’t think that Steveson losing this year, would be as surprising as Gable losing that match?  Because that was the point of this post

Edited by Schuteandscore

I had Caldwell winning. Not close to a huge upset. Metcalf favored. But anyone could see Caldwell is freaky.

Been some d 2 and d3 champs winning D1 sure where not favored. ( Speculating they had huge upsets)

Edited by Frank C

39 minutes ago, ionel said:

And I’ll ask you an honest question that can maybe clear something up…did you know about Dan Hodge and Uetaki back in the time?  Or did you find out about them later researching after you were interested in the sport because of the attention someone like Gable brought?

47 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

And I’ll ask you an honest question that can maybe clear something up…did you know about Dan Hodge and Uetaki back in the time?  Or did you find out about them later researching after you were interested in the sport because of the attention someone like Gable brought?

Thought everyone in wrestling knew about Uetake and prob Hodge too, have seen both in person (not wrestling).  I prob knew about Uetake's coach before Gable.  Course there's guys like McCready & Hutton only knew of by record. Also met a couple of the Iowa studs, northern teachers college at OK NCAA, they were staying in our hotel, great guys, wished I spent more time talking with them.  Did you see the Owings match on TV live or just later researching after interested in the sport?  

Edited by ionel

26 minutes ago, ionel said:

Thought everyone in wrestling knew about Uetake and prob Hodge too, have seen both in person (not wrestling).  I prob knew about Uetake's coach before Gable.  Course there's guys like McCready & Hutton only knew of by record. Also met a couple of the Iowa studs, northern teachers college at OK NCAA, they were staying in our hotel, great guys, wished I spent more time talking with them.  Did you see the Owings match on TV live or just later researching after interested in the sport?  

That’s what I wanted to find out, thank you for answering.  If you have seen both in person, that’s impressive and can understand your argument, and appreciate your point.  You’re a true fan who has had more interaction than most and bow down to you.  You’re the person I would expect to know this.  So someone who hasn’t been as blessed to be so involved and follow as you have, do they know?  Or did Gable influence that?   Anyways, doesn’t matter to the point of the original post.  

Dan Gable losing would be comparable to Gable Steveson losing this year.

26 minutes ago, ionel said:

Thought everyone in wrestling knew about Uetake and prob Hodge too, have seen both in person.  I prob knew about Uetake's coach before Gable.  Course there's guys like McCready & Hutton only knew of by record. Also met a couple of the Iowa studs, northern teachers college at OK NCAA, they were staying in our hotel, great guys, wished I spent more time talking with them.  Did you see the Owings match on TV live or just later researching after interested in the sport?  

When I was coaching high school and making the rounds to regionals, nationals, etc.... I met Hodge  and saw him crush the apple a few times. It's impressive....especially after I tried to do it. 

50 minutes ago, ionel said:

Thought everyone in wrestling knew about Uetake and prob Hodge too, have seen both in person.  I prob knew about Uetake's coach before Gable.  Course there's guys like McCready & Hutton only knew of by record. Also met a couple of the Iowa studs, northern teachers college at OK NCAA, they were staying in our hotel, great guys, wished I spent more time talking with them.  Did you see the Owings match on TV live or just later researching after interested in the sport?  

I don't think any of us watched the Owings match on live TV.  I believe ABC sports showed it only on a tape-delayed basis.  I seem to recall watching on the following Saturday, which would have been April 4, 1970.  However, a Google search (see below) indicates it wasn't broadcast until May 2, over one month after the actual event.  It'd be interesting to see how others remember it.

https://www.espn.com/abcsports/wwos/milestones/1970s.html

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

5 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I don't think any of us watched the Owings match on live TV.  I believe ABC sports showed it only on a tape-delayed basis.  I seem to recall watching on the following Saturday, which would have been April 4, 1970.  However, a Google search (see below) indicates it wasn't broadcast until May 2, over one month after the actual event.  It'd be interesting to see how others remember it.

https://www.espn.com/abcsports/wwos/milestones/1970s.html

For a while they showed the NCAA finals on the Sunday after. Sometimes they picked a few matches to show in their entirety and then they would do highlights of other matches. 

46 minutes ago, Idaho said:

When I was coaching high school and making the rounds to regionals, nationals, etc.... I met Hodge  and saw him crush the apple a few times. It's impressive....especially after I tried to do it. 

did you succeed or break your hand trying?  ;)

Good story from Stan Abel (Google it) of Hodge arm wrestling the football player.