Fletcher

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs

5 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Oh I guess I have some research to do here

I'd paste the link but for some reason last few days I'm not allowed/able to paste in links of photos.  :(

I have no idea what I'm talking about

16 minutes ago, ionel said:

did you succeed or break your hand trying?  ;)

Good story from Stan Abel (Google it) of Hodge arm wrestling the football player.  

After I took 13 bites I crushed that thing! 

Gable being upset this year at NCAAs would be a cataclysmic style shock to the world.  Period.  His ability and confidence, which are nearly equally important at this level, is astronomically higher than his competition.  The only match at this point that would not be wholly shocking would be a match against Zare.  Or a rematch against Petriashvili.  That's about it.  Everyone else is in the rear view mirror and would take a cataclysmic type event. 

Dan gable was on an incredible undefeated run all the way through high school and college. He seemed invincible, so his defeat was incredibly shocking. BUT… he had not yet reached the pinnacle of the sport and won an Olympic championship. I would argue that winning an Olympic championship at that age is even more impressive than the undefeated streak. I believe 100% of freestyle Olympic medalists have won NCAA championships. So for Steveson to lose as the Olympic champ, would be a historic upset only rivaled by Owings upset over Gable. 

21 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I believe 100% of freestyle Olympic medalists have won NCAA championships. 

Incorrect. 

Gilman, Cejudo, Jamill Kelly - to name a few non-ncaa champ Olympic medalists. 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

did you succeed or break your hand trying?  ;)

Good story from Stan Abel (Google it) of Hodge arm wrestling the football player.  

I'm thinking it's this one (ionel, please correct me if I'm wrong):

Former OU coach Stan Abel remembers Danny Hodge: Arm wrestling, crushing apples and a knife fight (oklahoman.com)

8 minutes ago, braatz said:

Incorrect. 

Thats only the recent ones, no where near 100%, well ok closer to 100% than say 60%.  

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Caldwell was better than Metcalf. Not only did he pin him, but he beat him in FS convincingly the summer after his NCAA win. Caldwell also pinned Lance Palmer that year too I think. Then he hurt is shoulder roller blading and was never the same wrestler. 

This is the only answer. 

Rollerblading defeating Caldwell is a bigger upset than anyone beating Gable Steveson.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:06 PM, braatz said:

Incorrect. 

Sorry that wasn’t clear the way I worded it. I meant 100% of guys who were already Olympics medalists and then wrestled in the NCAA championships, won the NCAA title. I could be wrong on that too but I don’t think so. That’s the position Steveson is in, so I was making the point of how shocking it would be for him not to win. 

On 2/11/2022 at 11:06 PM, braatz said:

Incorrect. 

Gilman won his medal after college. Cejudo never wrestled in college. Kelly - I don't know. I believe the prior post was about medalists who LATER wrestled in college.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Sorry that wasn’t clear the way I worded it. I meant 100% of guys who were already Olympics medalists and then wrestled in the NCAA championships, won the NCAA title. I could be wrong on that too but I don’t think so. That’s the position Steveson is in, so I was making the point of how shocking it would be for him not to win. 

Similar topic was brought up on FRL…I know it wasn’t NCAA’s but Snyder lost to Coon after winning gold.    But Snyder was not as dominant as Gable.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, Idaho said:

I met Hodge  and saw him crush the apple a few times.

Same here. Impressive. 

I also was able to see him with Curt Haywood Sr. who was a early seventies bodybuilder. Hodge crushed apples and Haywood ripped phone books in half. All before lunch...

1 minute ago, JerryCallo said:

As far as college wrestling Icons go,  when I was a high school kid wrestling in the late 60's Utaeke was the gold standard until Gable came along.  I think from there into the 1970's there was Lee Kemp, MAYBE Wade Schalles, then in the 1980's and 1990's you had the Smith & Brands brothers, until Cael Sanderson came along.

I do not think you can compare anyone to what Cael did in college - given he won 4 in a row in a heavier weight class and never lost in college.  I mean - other than a Covid-aided 5 in a row, which COULD happen, it is not even that close - record wise.

Edited by JerryCallo

On 2/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, Billyhoyle said:

Caldwell was better than Metcalf. Not only did he pin him, but he beat him in FS convincingly the summer after his NCAA win. Caldwell also pinned Lance Palmer that year too I think. Then he hurt is shoulder roller blading and was never the same wrestler. 

This is the only answer. 

Caldwell beat Metcalf in Freestyle? Would you please post a link to that result?  Because I am near positive they never wrestled in Freestyle. The part you may be misremembering is Caldwell did finish ahead of Metcalf at US World Team Trials, but they didn’t hit each other. Metcalf lost to Frayer winning one of the 3 periods(it was first to 2 periods back then) in the semis and the. Caldwell lost to Frayer in 2 periods in the challenge finals. 

I'd say there are three main type of wrestling winning streaks. 

In type one,  the wrestler is a tier above everyone else and the matches are not competitive. Injuries almost always end this type of streak and it is very rare at the highest level.

In type two, you have a wrestler who does have some competitive matches,  has even won some coin flip tight ones,  but is usually good enough to comfortably win. Sadulaev's current run would be in this category.  Often ends due do to a great rival getting a win.  

Type three is a wrestler who never gives up scores but has competitive matches . These like to end due to arcane rules and ref input. 

Gable is either type one or two. 

On 2/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, ionel said:

ahh ... thought this thread was about what would happen if The Gable got perturbed at an opponent at NCAA ... carry on 

That’s a good one. One too many people yelling Backflip. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Similar topic was brought up on FRL…I know it wasn’t NCAA’s but Snyder lost to Coon after winning gold.    But Snyder was not as dominant as Gable.

Yes, I think the size difference cannot be ignored though. Coon is probably all of 125kg , and Snyder was a 97 kg wrestling up. So it wasn’t really a monumental upset

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Yes, I think the size difference cannot be ignored though. Coon is probably all of 125kg , and Snyder was a 97 kg wrestling up. So it wasn’t really a monumental upset

Didn't Snyder get pinned in the NCAA finals? That might have been before he won gold, though.