Fletcher

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs

I suppose he could get called for a slam as he tosses everyone around so easily.

I could see him getting hit with a DQ in a semi-final against Parris. He might just try to put Parris through the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Didn't Snyder get pinned in the NCAA finals? That might have been before he won gold, though.

That was 2015, his Freshman year.  He won World Gold latter that year and followed up with 2016 NCAA and Olympic titles

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Yes, I think the size difference cannot be ignored though. Coon is probably all of 125kg , and Snyder was a 97 kg wrestling up. So it wasn’t really a monumental upset

This.  Coon was a full-sized heavyweight who took 2nd and 3rd at the two previous NCAA tournaments.  Snyder was undersized at heavyweight, and he won his Olympic gold at 97.  Coon's win was an upset, but the disparity in size prevents it from being on the same level as if Gable were to lose this year.

6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Caldwell beat Metcalf in Freestyle? Would you please post a link to that result?  Because I am near positive they never wrestled in Freestyle. The part you may be misremembering is Caldwell did finish ahead of Metcalf at US World Team Trials, but they didn’t hit each other. Metcalf lost to Frayer winning one of the 3 periods(it was first to 2 periods back then) in the semis and the. Caldwell lost to Frayer in 2 periods in the challenge finals. 

Thought it was 2009 WTT, but could be misremembering. Do you have a link to the bracket? 

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Is there a bracket?  That link says that Caldwell beat Churella for true 3rd- I guess Metcalf/Caldwell never met up-did Metcalf not wrestle back or lose to Churella?  I distinctly remember that tournament as validating Caldwell as better than Metcalf and the NCAA win not being a fluke. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is there a bracket?  That link says that Caldwell beat Churella for true 3rd- I guess Metcalf/Caldwell never met up-did Metcalf not wrestle back or lose to Churella?  I distinctly remember that tournament as validating Caldwell as better than Metcalf and the NCAA win not being a fluke. 

I can’t find the bracket, but I know Metcalf’s only other loss there was to Schwab…

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I can’t find the bracket, but I know Metcalf’s only other loss there was to Schwab…

So I guess that had to be in the consolation semifinals?  I guess Caldwell didn't face Metcalf because Metcalf lost well before he made it to him. I had thought they'd actually wrestled, but it turns out Metcalf finished significantly lower.  

My point was just that it was clear Caldwell was significantly better than Metcalf at that point, so it wasn't as big of an upset as it seemed at the time. We'd all (including me) built up Metcalf to be some incredible and unbeatable NCAA wrestler, so Caldwell's upset seemed unthinkable, but in reality Metcalf was never that.  He was a great wrestler and very good at wearing people down, but Gable S being upset can really only be matched by D Gable's loss. Metcalf even lost to Palmer the following year during the season.  

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs...

…you guys would still be talking about me over 50 years later!

Best Gable Owings GIFs | Gfycat

Click below for a video of Owings and Gable discussing their epic match at the 2018 NCAA Championships.  It was their first public appearance together.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1654323994621429

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

18 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

This.  Coon was a full-sized heavyweight who took 2nd and 3rd at the two previous NCAA tournaments.  Snyder was undersized at heavyweight, and he won his Olympic gold at 97.  Coon's win was an upset, but the disparity in size prevents it from being on the same level as if Gable were to lose this year.

I disagree with using the size difference to minimize the upset. They both wrestled in the same weight class. It didn't prevent Snyder from beating him other times. He beat Coon 3 times out of 4. It is hard to win every match which is why so few have done it. Snyder had 4 losses at 197 and only 1 at 285 so I don't think the 285 was an issue.

8 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I disagree with using the size difference to minimize the upset. They both wrestled in the same weight class. It didn't prevent Snyder from beating him other times. He beat Coon 3 times out of 4. It is hard to win every match which is why so few have done it. Snyder had 4 losses at 197 and only 1 at 285 so I don't think the 285 was an issue.

Don't believe in tweeners or all  weight classes? 

6 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Don't believe in tweeners or all  weight classes? 

There are always tweeners but they have to pick and you can't say that it isn't even/fair. Back when there was an unlimited class there were crazy weight differences. Banach beat Tab Thacker (350lber) in 1982 and Mitch Shelton (400lber) in 1983.

37 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

There are always tweeners but they have to pick and you can't say that it isn't even/fair. Back when there was an unlimited class there were crazy weight differences. Banach beat Tab Thacker (350lber) in 1982 and Mitch Shelton (400lber) in 1983.

Why not.  Its not fair for the 215ers compared to the middle and low weight classes who only deal with 10 lb ranges. 

The gap between 285 and 197 is gigantic. And a lot of people weigh in that range. 

Very few humans weigh more than 285 lbs without loads of excess body fat. 

2 hours ago, HawkY said:

Why not.  Its not fair for the 215ers compared to the middle and low weight classes who only deal with 10 lb ranges. 

The gap between 285 and 197 is gigantic. And a lot of people weigh in that range. 

Very few humans weigh more than 285 lbs without loads of excess body fat. 

People don't get this. I was a 215 back in the day and it was brutal. Trying to make 197 and too sucked out to be effective or gain lean mass was useless, trying to bulk up to take on real deal heavies was useless. Do you know what it's like to have 224 pounds of pure muscle with a six pack and get ragdolled by a fully grown animal like Mocco? It's not fun I'll tell you that!

6 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

Thacker won an NCAA title and I think was over 400lbs - but perhaps not quite yet in 1982.  Died in his 40's.  Sad.  Did Thacker ever wrestle Shelton?  Is Shelton still around? 

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

People don't get this. I was a 215 back in the day and it was brutal. Trying to make 197 and too sucked out to be effective or gain lean mass was useless, trying to bulk up to take on real deal heavies was useless. Do you know what it's like to have 224 pounds of pure muscle with a six pack and get ragdolled by a fully grown animal like Mocco? It's not fun I'll tell you that!

Mocco actually wasn’t that big. He had a really hard time with Konrad because HE was that big…

On the unlimiteds.

There are the really tall 6 ft 5 and up types that do weigh over 285 with reasonable amounts of body fat. Adam Sandurski as an extreme example. He was over  7 feet tall and weighed about 300 lbs.  Looked  lean. 

Then there were most other unlimiteds, who competed while being morbidly obese. And thats probably why they got rid of this class. You can ague its not about health and whatever wins wins. 

And just for comparison. In the grapple related sports with unlimited weights and where serious money is on the line. It looks like in sumo, the best yokozuna are about 350. And for the heaviest positions in the NFL, the best players max out at about 300. And in sumo's case the bouts are much shorter than wrestling. 

(Sandurski against the  6 ft 3 Balla)

image.png.4ee73c5fe1b4d64d2ac2683ff10d2911.png

16 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Mocco actually wasn’t that big. He had a really hard time with Konrad because HE was that big…

I personally thought Mocco was more powerful but both were ridiculously unfair. If I had to compare it to something, it was like an ant going against a kindergartner with a magnifying glass. Never stood a chance.

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I personally thought Mocco was more powerful but both were ridiculously unfair. If I had to compare it to something, it was like an ant going against a kindergartner with a magnifying glass. Never stood a chance.

Now, that makes sense.  It is definitely possible for the lighter guy to be stronger, but the bigger guy being considerably harder to move.  To me, Konrad, in his prime, is the best DI 285 I have seen, including Steveson.  I just don't see anyone being able to take Konrad down and no one was beating him in rideouts.

10 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Now, that makes sense.  It is definitely possible for the lighter guy to be stronger, but the bigger guy being considerably harder to move.  To me, Konrad, in his prime, is the best DI 285 I have seen, including Steveson.  I just don't see anyone being able to take Konrad down and no one was beating him in rideouts.

The old 120 kg was too low. There are people in optimal condition above 265 lbs. Why did they do that.

The rules were weird in the oughts as well.  The easter egg. What Taymazov's legacy meant in hindsight. Strange decade. 

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

To me, Konrad, in his prime, is the best DI 285 I have seen, including Steveson.  I just don't see anyone being able to take Konrad down and no one was beating him in rideouts.

Gable took down Geno & Taha 4-5 times respectively, but wouldn’t take down Cole? Even Cole doesn’t believe that.