Fletcher

If Gable were to get upset at NCAAs

56 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

How does this discussion change if GS doesn't get that restart at the Olympics and he is a silver medalist?

It does. But its not like Gable had a cakewalk draw to the finals. He had a tough draw.

How many college wrestlers could have beaten that version of Akgul.

And this wasn't just beating some name.  That same year Taha won euros, beating  Geno 6-1  (granted I think Geno has a bad match up issue with Taha) .  And at worlds a few months later Taha beat Russia's best at 125 and was comfortable better than an inform and motivated gwiz.  

1 hour ago, JeanGuy said:

How does this discussion change if GS doesn't get that restart at the Olympics and he is a silver medalist?

How does this discussion change if GS was awarded 4 for amplitude and the outcome was never in doubt, so Geno opened up out of desperation and GS gets the tech on quick go-behinds?

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

No, I don't think Steveson would have any issue. He would major Konrad and the only doubt I have is if he could also turn him.

Wow, let's not act like Steveson is easily turning top guys.  On top of that, you think Steveson essentially gets 6 takedowns or so to zero?  Because, that is about what it would take for a major decision unless he could ride him through the end of periods, which I don't see happening.  I mean, was Konrad even taken down once his senior year? What was the longest amount he was ridden?

I get saying an Olympic Champ would win.  But, I just don't get calling for that level of dominance over a guy that went undefeated his last 2 years and I don't think even gave up a takedown either year and one of those had Mocco at his weight...Remember, they would be wrestling folkstyle and not freestyle.

I was a very loud GS doubter. Leading up to the olympics I boldly proclaimed on this here message board that Snyder was probably regularly schooling him in practice. I am once again admitting that I was incorrect and Gable Steveson is a world-beater who makes even the best of competition look wildly inferior. As a point of reference, please rewatch the match with Akgul, 3x world champ and 5x consecutive world finalist, who literally ran away from getting teched. It's not saying Konrad was bad; it's saying Steveson is that great.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Wow, let's not act like Steveson is easily turning top guys.  On top of that, you think Steveson essentially gets 6 takedowns or so to zero?  Because, that is about what it would take for a major decision unless he could ride him through the end of periods, which I don't see happening.  I mean, was Konrad even taken down once his senior year? What was the longest amount he was ridden?

I get saying an Olympic Champ would win.  But, I just don't get calling for that level of dominance over a guy that went undefeated his last 2 years and I don't think even gave up a takedown either year and one of those had Mocco at his weight...Remember, they would be wrestling folkstyle and not freestyle.

Unless you think Akgul and Petrishvili are worse than the heavyweights from a decade ago-the field not just the roided up Russian (I think they’re better and more athletic), Steveson would definitely major Konrad. 

12 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Unless you think Akgul and Petrishvili are worse than the heavyweights from a decade ago-the field not just the roided up Russian (I think they’re better and more athletic), Steveson would definitely major Konrad. 

Again, I am talking folkstyle not freestyle.   A full sized 285 does NOT have to open up in neutral and can do a ton of stuff to not get taken down.  He could then use the mat game to win.  There is an undeniable, giant difference here that many people seem to miss.

To be clear, I wouldn't pick Konrad to win in free.  I just have a hard time seeing Steveson take him him down all Konrad has to focus on is not getting taken down.

With the above said, I expected these responses. With recency bias and the simple fact that he is an Olympic Champ, I fully expected most to easily pick Steveson.  I just remember watching Konrad in person and thinking there is no way another guy is taking him down in folkstyle.  I just don't see how you get to his leg and actually lift it up and get him off balance.  That doesn't even account for if you get stuck underneath...

Edited by MSU158

I think Gable would take him down relatively quickly and the match would get uglier and uglier as Konrad tired.

I don’t see any scenario where Konrad would prevent Gable from scoring other than straight up stalling.

I don’t understand your folk vs free fascination. The TD criteria (weight on hands vs a knee/elbow) are slightly different but that wouldn’t matter. Konrad would spend a good amount of the match in Tummy Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I think Gable would take him down relatively quickly and the match would get uglier and uglier as Konrad tired.

I don’t see any scenario where Konrad would prevent Gable from scoring other than straight up stalling.

I don’t understand your folk vs free fascination. The TD criteria (weight on hands vs a knee/elbow) are slightly different but that wouldn’t matter. Konrad would spend a good amount of the match in Tummy Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar take.  As big and strong as Konrad was in his prime, he couldn't handle Steveson's speed and superior technique.

Just think of Konrad trying to withstand Gable’s fake-snap-fake-snap-fake-snap (read in John Smiths voice). Not gonna happen. I don’t care how immovable you are, you have to react when he has that kind of speed. Freestyle/folkstyle doesn’t really matter because Gable wins on his feet with similar techniques. The fact that he took down Geno and Taha like 4 or 5 times each is proof enough that he can take down anyone. I don’t think it would be close

Guys, it matters because you have to open up in Free and can completely block off in folk. On top of that you have the ob line as your friend instead of your enemy. Momentum can easily take two big guys off the mat without it being clearly stalling. When you don’t have to circle back in to avoid giving up points it makes a giant difference. 

If you don’t see the differences between folk and free strategy, let alone fundamental neutral wrestling, there is no point in us debating further. 

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Again, I am talking folkstyle not freestyle.   A full sized 285 does NOT have to open up in neutral and can do a ton of stuff to not get taken down.  He could then use the mat game to win.  There is an undeniable, giant difference here that many people seem to miss.

To be clear, I wouldn't pick Konrad to win in free.  I just have a hard time seeing Steveson take him him down all Konrad has to focus on is not getting taken down.

With the above said, I expected these responses. With recency bias and the simple fact that he is an Olympic Champ, I fully expected most to easily pick Steveson.  I just remember watching Konrad in person and thinking there is no way another guy is taking him down in folkstyle.  I just don't see how you get to his leg and actually lift it up and get him off balance.  That doesn't even account for if you get stuck underneath...

I am talking folk as well.  It's not about recency bias.  It's about Gable being the best in the world and Konrad beating Mocco in OT. As good as Konrad was, he would get absolutely destroyed by Gable.  Gable is stronger, faster, more athletic, more explosive, keeps better positioning, has better conditioning, and is better at technique than Konrad.  It would not be close.  

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

Love Konrad. Didn’t he try freestyle and fall short? I think he did and also tried out for an NFL team? I know he had some success in MMA. Where is he now?

Sherdog states: "A married father of three, the 37-year-old Konrad now works as an agricultural commodities broker at Viking Dairy Company in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, just outside of Minneapolis."