fadzaev2

Spectator behavior at Carver Hawkeye Arena

Why hasn't there been any/much reporting of the incident concerning Austin Gomez and family on the main wrestling websites? This type of behavior needs to be addressed and we need to make it clear that the wrestling community will not tolerate or condone this type of behavior.

13 minutes ago, RandolphJones said:

Because it's all hear-say right now and Mineo keeps trying to make it worse. 

If it's all hearsay, then why has the University of Iowa made a public apology and Tom Brands addressed it in a press conference?

Edited by fadzaev2

It is nice to say something needs to be done, but how do propose they stop one or a group of fans from being terrible?

All you can really do as a program is to acknowledge the behavior is unacceptable and not at all in line with what the program represents. It doesn't mean that same group or individual won't do the same thing again.

4 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

If it's all hearsay, then why has the University of Iowa made a public apology and Tom Brands addressed it in a press conference?

Because that is how you get ahead of things and completely distance Iowa and the wrestling program from the situation. Essentially, it is smart politics and the right thing to do. 

Also HR has a very large thread discussing the situation in great detail…

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

It is nice to say something needs to be done, but how do propose they stop one or a group of fans from being terrible?

All you can really do as a program is to acknowledge the behavior is unacceptable and not at all in line with what the program represents. It doesn't mean that same group or individual won't do the same thing again.

Permanently ban someone from attending Iowa athletic events. Bet people would stop saying **** like this if that happened. 

Just now, CoachWrestling said:

Permanently ban someone from attending Iowa athletic events. Bet people would stop saying **** like this if that happened. 

That is good if you can identify a single offender.

36 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

You started the thread saying there's no reporting of the incident. Now you're mentioning Iowa's public apology and Tom Brands raising it during a press conference. Glad you were able to resolve this on your own.

There is no good excuse for the major websites not reporting these allegations! Every wrestling website should headline that these allegations have been made, and that this type of behavior is unacceptable! To ignore it is equivalent to condoning it!

21 minutes ago, Hart2pay said:

There is no good excuse for the major websites not reporting these allegations! Every wrestling website should headline that these allegations have been made, and that this type of behavior is unacceptable! To ignore it is equivalent to condoning it!

Calm down Mineo, there is plenty of discussion about it still happening. 

2 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

Wasn’t there a beer bottle thrown down from the stands at one of the other dual meets this year or was that just a rumor?

A bottle was thrown, but it could have been water bottle. That would still hurt if full.

To their credit, Iowa and Coach Brands seemed to jump on this problem in a direct way - including quickly apologizing to Austin Gomez and the Badgers and making very clear that the conduct has no place in our sport or their team or fan culture and will be fully investigated.   

It is not easy to change behavior and attitudes, but leadership matters and I applaud the leadership shown by Iowa on this issue.   

Edited by Elevator

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

A bottle was thrown, but it could have been water bottle. That would still hurt if full.

Thanks for the clarification, that’s twice this season something has happened there.

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am surprised you didn't see it. It is on page 1 of one of the HR threads.

I haven't been super on the forums recently.  I don't understand this guy's thing here:  if he has video, why is he hoping IOwa finds those responsible?  Doesn't he have the evidence?

Reporter seems to be getting some attention for this, that would be my guess as far as what he’s doing with the “evidence”.

but I highly doubt Gomez and his family made this whole thing up, pretty disgusting behavior in general. 

yelling anything towards his 16 year old sister is just compete trash. 

2 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

Reporter seems to be getting some attention for this, that would be my guess as far as what he’s doing with the “evidence”.

but I highly doubt Gomez and his family made this whole thing up, pretty disgusting behavior in general. 

yelling anything towards his 16 year old sister is just compete trash. 

Oh, I don't believe they made it up.  95% of the sporting events I've been to in my life have had some disgusting things said in the stands.  Whomever said that is a gross human.

Edited by VakAttack

1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'm talking about addressing it on wrestling sources such as Flo, Win, Track, Intermat.  Most of what I saw was on Facebook...that's not a wrestling site.

it's so easy to share content these days - why re-invent the wheel when Cody Goodwin at the Des Moines Register (and the Iowa papers who cover Iowa wrestling closest) are basically at the scene as media and is covering it in a manner that's better than anyone else could. What would any of these other outlets get out of Brands/Iowa that guys like Batterson, Pilcher, Goodwin, et. al couldn't get? You can only say the same thing so many times. "Reporting" is also relative. If we were doing this 20 years ago before social, you might expect to see everyone have a different byline, but the exact same quotes from Brands, because they'd all be coming from the same statement or press conference. 

Many wrestling sites (or social media accounts, newsletters, etc.) have shared the information, but just because they don't invest the time wasted to re-write what's already out there doesn't mean they're ignoring it, condoning it or protecting something. 

I haven't written anything because I provided links to the outlets that did via my social and newsletter mediums. The dissemination and display of news has evolved. Most people put their stuff on social platforms first - or quote tweet something with a brief opinion on the matter. 

What are you looking for? A column saying "that @$$hole should be banned from Carver" or some opinion piece that will likely be universally accepted by those who think it's wrong and panned by those who think this is overblown or those who even believe this didn't occur? The guys covering it are the guys covering it and are doing it better than I could sitting from my home office five hours north.