Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

themat.tv

I know this is the college board but we are our own worst enemy. School boy duals are going on and the feed from themat.tv is terrible. How can we grow the sport if you we continue to produce sub par coverage. some mats didn't show any action but trackwrestling showed matches were in progress.

But since you brought it up, I haven't seen any streams on track that weren't on themat.tv streams. Everything that had a mat number was streamed from what I saw. I've seen as many as nine mats running at one time.

What's terrible bout the feeds? I'm seeing them clean. I see the team score, match score, wrestlers' names. There's no sound on a few of the mats, but that's not a big deal considering we've got the time, score and wrestlers.

What's exactly terrible about it? I mean, you can't stream where there isn't information and your claim about mats showing on track that aren't streamed hasn't been duplicated. I've not seen it. I tried to investigate, but have not seen that claim validated.

See my other reply. I'm trying to figure out why you say it's terrible. The only thing you've pointed out is something that currently isn't validated. I built the site and helped break in the streaming software with WVS before it was Flo, so I have a vested interest in how the streaming goes. This event also wouldn't be streamed with the volume it is if it weren't for a guy named Mark Durham, who got this event up and running on the streaming side the last two years.

My question is simple: What's terrible? Your claim hasn't been validated in the last two hours that I've been checking streams. I might be missing it, but maybe explaining exactly what is wrong can help fix the solution. Saying "This is terrible" and then only glossing over the problem won't help rectify it.

I've seen all mats (9) showing live on the correct mats and have for the last few hours.

I spent at least 45 minutes looking for the stream of Oklahoma Red and track said mat 12, themat.tv has no feed. What are the chances of casual fans spending that amount of time looking for something that is not there or coming back later b/c they had a bad experience?

Only black screens I saw was before the events actually started. Could be attributed to time zones, too. I'm still looking for an explanation on what "terrible" is. I think having people like Mark do this and USAW streaming it is exactly the opposite of being our worst enemy. We've got people willing to step up and get things streaming.

How many other sports stream the amount of multiple-field/court/mat events than wrestling does? Two years ago, this event wasn't even streamed. Now it's got 12 streams available.

They pulled right up for me

Mat 12:

EDIT: Mat 8 looks like the recording got cut 30 minutes in ... so you had 11 mats streaming instead of 12.

So what exactly is "terrible" about it?

there are matches going on?? the feed is showing a empty mat

Warhawk,

That's a good point if it were only really relevant to the "casual fan."

What "casual fan" is going to watch 13 and 14-year-olds wrestle Greco-Roman on a Thursday morning? The only people watching are wrestling fans -- not casual fans.

Mat 12 had action at the time this thread was started, now the dual shown previously has ended. According to themat.com, the second session starts at 3 eastern.

Its frustrating because I believe that not only do we have to have themat.tv to be streaming but I think it also has to work right so people can trust that when they go to there it is just like turning on the tv.

So you're talking about one and a half streams out of 12 making it "terrible"

I've sent a text to the volunteer who decided to do this on their own for 12 mats to see if there's issues on his end. Without knowing what mats actually look like, it's hard to troubleshoot when you're sitting in Minnesota watching.

We're talking about Greco-Roman Schoolboy wrestling, the demand and draw is limited to parents and family and a handful of wrestling people watching from work.

Having had to troubleshoot this system for the past three years, I must insist specific issues must be posted for them to be addressed. If it's something exact, say what it is, don't just say "this is terrible" and pout about it. Specifics can get things addressed and done.

Not like the volunteer is reading this board, they're busy trying to manage 12 streams. This is not a task any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street can do with 10 minutes of training. There's a LOT of work that goes into this.

They can fix, but have to know what exactly the issues are. I trust they won't tweak anything until prior to the second session, which starts at 3 p.m. Eastern (according to themat.com).

I'd chalk it up as temporary rather than terrible.

So you're talking about one and a half streams out of 12 making it "terrible"

I've sent a text to the volunteer who decided to do this on their own for 12 mats to see if there's issues on his end. Without knowing what mats actually look like, it's hard to troubleshoot when you're sitting in Minnesota watching.

We're talking about Greco-Roman Schoolboy wrestling, the demand and draw is limited to parents and family and a handful of wrestling people watching from work.

Having had to troubleshoot this system for the past three years, I must insist specific issues must be posted for them to be addressed. If it's something exact, say what it is, don't just say "this is terrible" and pout about it. Specifics can get things addressed and done.

Not like the volunteer is reading this board, they're busy trying to manage 12 streams. This is not a task any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street can do with 10 minutes of training. There's a LOT of work that goes into this.

They can fix, but have to know what exactly the issues are. I trust they won't tweak anything until prior to the second session, which starts at 3 p.m. Eastern (according to themat.com).

I'd chalk it up as temporary rather than terrible.

We are in a fight to save wrestling at the Olympic level. Part of the problem is the lack of casual fans that watch the sport. The second part of the problem is that overall the sport gets little national medial coverage and lastly with no tv deal, our online presence is must deliver. One bad experience absolutely makes it terrible. Not to minimize the work of a volunteer because I have been there but to suggest anything but getting it right is acceptable is the type of arrogance that have us fighting for a sport in 2020.

Warhawk,

Are you trying to be confrontational just for the sake of being confrontational? USA Wrestling and the volunteer base does not have the financial resources (nor does Flo or anyone else in our sport) to fully be able to pull off an ESPN360 type of broadcast/webcast.

I have never been to an event in any sports where everything has gone exactly as planned. Wrestling is included. You're chalking up the entire four-day event as a failure when it appeared you had issues with two streams. Well, I talked to the guy running the event -- guess what -- it was a failure on YouTube's end thing. New session, new stream ID's ... problem resolve.

I just pulled up all 12 streams without an issue. There's wrestling on nearly every mat and those that haven't gone to wrestling are now live.

I think you're quick to fly off the handle in situations like this (I can completely understand and relate, because on the other side of it, when something isn't going the way it's supposed to be, I'm frantically trying to do things on the fly to fix it).

You can't blame the webcast on lack of casual fans or vice versa. I don't think anyone exists right now going, "Hrm, I need to go to a wrestling website. Hrm, I need to click on this video of middle school kids wrestling whatever Greco-Roman is."

Let's be honest, these streams for events like this aren't for the casual fan, they're for mom and dad, family, and fans from around the state -- a real grassroots type of fan vs. someone who knows nothing about wrestling.

I don't think I've been arrogant one bit in any of my replies here. I'm watching 12 mats of wrestling. Guess what, the problem got fixed. So you missed part of dual? It's a four-day event. Team will wrestle again. Archives will be posted on Themat.TV.

I think saying its "terrible" after one session where there were a few bugs is overstating it.

Will you start a new thread saying "themat.tv is great" if everything works?

Bugs happen and without an ESPN-type of production team, I challenge any person out there to try to run 12 mats on their own.

Wrestling doesn't have the manpower, financial resources and enough volunteers/paid staff who can dedicate the time needed it takes to only work on webcasting. We have to continue to improve on what we have.

Three years ago, we had nothing. Now we have 12 mats from an event that previously no one ever talked about. That's progress. It's not the end all, but it's moving in the right direction.

You're asking for professional quality when you have an amateur staff. That's not a knock on those busting their butts, but if one thing goes wrong, do you give up and quit? No. They got things fixed for future sessions and now you can sit and watch them all from the comfort of your home.

Casual fans do not watch schoolboy age group events on weekday mornings in any sport. Linking a minor failure of a free streaming service to wrestling getting dropped from the Olympics is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I certainly would have like to not comment anymore about this bout since I am being called a whiner and the fact that someone said casual fans are not watching school boys I guess I will. Personally, I know of a 20-25 people that would have watched the feed today because I was sending it to them and they don't care about wrestling but they care about the kid that was wrestling. Presenting the sport in a excellent way at grass roots level does matter at the Olympic level because it grows the sport and garners support. My school runs a big tournament every year with over a 1000 kids and guess what when there are open mats I am bitching about that too because the mothers and fathers that are there just because their kid is "trying wrestling" has to have a good experience for the kid to stay in wrestling. So if you can understand the metaphor: it's not good enough to have a team and not have anyone in the stands. Nor is it good enough to say we have video but not ensure that becomes a great fan experience even over the net.

They'd be more than willing to have you as a volunteer to help run a camera.

How would aiming a camera improve feed quality?

Maybe to free the computer genius up to troubleshoot YouTube streaming problems instead of working on the physical camera?

Wahawk - You can't plan for the thousand different problems that may arise doing something like this. Especially not when its being run by people who are largely contributing free time to help out. You can do your best to set it up right and get it going, then fix problems as they arise as quickly as you can.

I remember even big high school events not that long ago that weren't being streamed but recorded on cheap equipment then posted up hours later long after all the results were known.

I believe things are MUCH better now.

I used to drive my car all over Iowa gravel roads trying to hold on to the live kxic am radio feed of hawkeye wrestling

To complain about any inconvenience of live video feed is simply absurd

I am in Indianapolis as we speak attending the schoolboy event - each mat has volunteers running each camera - what a wonderful opportunity for friends and family to watch 12, 13, and 14 year olds compete in GR matches.

Everyone I spoke to back home had zero issues

And it was not free. States could opt in for video for a $800 fee. Only 9 states opted for this privilege. If you were/are a paying state, your dual was on a streamed mat. There are 16 mats running (17 if you include the exhibition area). Only 10 of the 17 mats are televised.

There are 35 teams competing - maybe more in free style this weekend

Calm down Francis