Sign in to follow this  
BerniePragle

Binghamton @ Cornell

I went to Binghamton at Cornell yesterday.  A few observations:
1)  It was Senior day.  Lots of love.
2)  Darmstadt was in street clothes.  They introduced him with mom and dad, and it sure seemed like his career is done.  Sad.  He got big, big love from the crowd.
3)  No Vito, no Yanni.  One time Mike Grey had Yanni go across the gym to talk to some rowdy backups.  They listened.  
4)  It was mostly Cornell 2nd and 3rd stringers vs Binghamton.  I think the Binghamton coach, Kyle Borshoff, does a lot with what he has.  His kids wrestled well and were in excellent condition.  Younger Deprez wrestled, older one didn't.
5)  You could ref the match from the top row in that crackerbox Freidman Center.  I don't mean spectator second-guess ref, I mean actual ref.  I think it's half the size it was when I was there a few years ago.  Maybe I've grown.  I think there's about 6" from the mat to the scorer's table.
6)  Mike Grey was inducted into Cornell HOF.  Lots of love.
7)  Greg D will never come close to AA.  He may never start.
8)  There was a crowd-chant "Stalling" at 184 (I think).  I thought that was only those wild Iowa fans that did that...

7 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

2)  Darmstadt was in street clothes.  They introduced him with mom and dad, and it sure seemed like his career is done.  Sad.  He got big, big love from the crowd.
3)  No Vito, no Yanni.  One time Mike Grey had Yanni go across the gym to talk to some rowdy backups.  They listened.  
4)  It was mostly Cornell 2nd and 3rd stringers vs Binghamton.  I think the Binghamton coach, Kyle Borshoff, does a lot with what he has.  His kids wrestled well and were in excellent condition.  Younger Deprez wrestled, older one didn't.
5)  You could ref the match from the top row in that crackerbox Freidman Center.  I don't mean spectator second-guess ref, I mean actual ref.  I think it's half the size it was when I was there a few years ago.  Maybe I've grown.  I think there's about 6" from the mat to the scorer's table.
8)  There was a crowd-chant "Stalling" at 184 (I think).  I thought that was only those wild Iowa fans that did that...

Interesting what you say about Greg D. Not arguing, but it is surprising. Wasn't he a top 10 recruit? 

9 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Did Ryan Anderson sit out for Binghamton too ?

9 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Hmm - guys get better and develop physically.  This seems a little harsh!

2 hours ago, Elevator said:

Hmm - guys get better and develop physically.  This seems a little harsh!

I think Bernie's statement about Greg is based on Vito having two years of eligibility left after this season.  He also must think that Ungar beats Greg for 125 when Vito moves up to 133 or graduates.  

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I think Bernie's statement about Greg is based on Vito having two years of eligibility left after this season.  He also must think that Ungar beats Greg for 125 when Vito moves up to 133 or graduates.  

Greg beat Ungar this year in their only match.

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Exactly.  And there may be someone else coming.  There always is.
I'm not sure how he develops any more physically.  His frame is where it's gonna get to.  He looks like he's 30 yrs old now.  And I'm not sure how he gets better.  Obviously, he's always had great coaching and competition.  I just don't see him as having much if any upside.  I hope I'm wrong.
He had all he could handle (13-8) with the Binghamton kid who is 3-18 on the year, including getting teched by Ungar 15-0, in 3:38 at MatTown.  Greg did nothing much on top except to counter-wrestle.  He did look pretty good on takedowns.  Maybe he wasn't feeling well, I don't know...

Edited by BerniePragle
Spelling

On 2/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Considering only his grappling career, I think Greg would be better off wrestling for a different school. I doubt he transfers, but if he values his wrestling career more than his academic career, I think he should.

1 hour ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Considering only his grappling career, I think Greg would be better off wrestling for a different school. I doubt he transfers, but if he values his wrestling career more than his academic career, I think he should.

Agree 100%.  But it's hard to beat one of those Cornell Ag & Life Sciences sheepskins when it's time to look for a job, lol.

2 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Maybe he just needs to get bigger. He wrestled 113 in high school. It's a big jump to 125.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, ShakaAloha said:

I’m pretty sure Vito will go 133 next year. 

I’ve seen Greg wrestle a few matches for Cornell and while he isn’t elite, he has shown some flashes of high level stuff. Assuming he has the work ethic of D1 guys, I imagine he will be a top 15ish type guy next year. 

Yianni noted the work ethic difference required for college and how it took some time for him to transition. Yianni is obviously way better but they had similar training in high school, so I think the point stands 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, BerniePragle said:

Exactly.  And there may be someone else coming.  There always is.
I'm not sure how he develops any more physically.  His frame is where it's gonna get to.  He looks like he's 30 yrs old now.  And I'm not sure how he gets better.  Obviously, he's always had great coaching and competition.  I just don't see him as having much if any upside.  I hope I'm wrong.
He had all he could handle (13-8) with the Binghamton kid who is 3-18 on the year, including getting teched by Ungar 15-0, in 3:38 at MatTown.  Greg did nothing much on top except to counter-wrestle.  He did look pretty good on takedowns.  Maybe he wasn't feeling well, I don't know...

I wouldn’t read too much into that match. Greg has shown he is better than that. He also doesn’t have much of a top game, so he isn’t going to run up the score like Ungar does, even though he beat him this year. 

17 hours ago, NJDan said:

Maybe he just needs to get bigger. He wrestled 113 in high school. It's a big jump to 125.

I think he definitely has a power issue. He gets in on shots, scrambles well, etc but the closes the position. To me it looks like a power (and maybe some fight? Hard to tell) issues. Those can be fixed