Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Tessari gone

Terrible to hear that about Tessari but after all the talk late this past season, that unfortunately isn't a surprise that he is gone. Also nice breakdown of the Bucks for this coming season though and what their plans are.

is this another Jeff Eckloff case? A kid that does phenomenally well as a freshman and then his career is done and over with so much potential it isn't even funny?

All of the videos of tOSU practices I have seen, it looks like Tessari was a pretty hard worker. Meaning, I think he is pretty dedicated as a wrestler. I would doubt that he is done and hope to see him again. You can get in a ton of trouble at a campus like tOSU. I bet his behavior was classic college type stuff.

It was funny watching the Gable documentary that aired a few years ago on ESPN, where they said Gable would go to the bars at night to gather up his wrestlers. I do not think in this day and age going to a bar is even tolerated. I could be wrong.

What's the story with Tessai gone?

I don't know details but it appears he was not conforming to Coach Ryan's ideal of dedication.

Ryan has dealt with a lot of talented tOSU recruits that haven't panned out. I think he's out of patience with guys that aren't hell bent on being the best. Just speculating...I don't know specifically if this is the case with Tessari.

I enjoyed watching Cam wrestle. I wish he were still part of the program.

What's the story with Tessai gone?

The bar fight incident was the last straw for Ryan as he already put up with a number of disciplinary infractions Tessari had built up to that point. Cam is generally a good kid and a great natural talent, but he is just a little hellion. The " college life" at tOSU is just too much of a temptation for him to go out and party and get into mischief. As it was apparent last season, this took a toll on his wrestling performance. Ryan had enough and cut the cord.

Cam was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. I truly hope he can recover from this and continue wrestling and graduate from college.

I wonder how much all this turnover will affect tOSU's APR? PSU had a similar purge of wrestlers just before Sanderson came in and their APR got to a level where you had to keep a close eye on it.

Would imagine most, if not all coaches run the numbers after every transfer or academic blow out to know where they stand.

Also, haven't heard about Derek Garcia in ages.

I think he is still there, otherwise our local Web Site would have gone nuclear !!! I'll double check.

I was thinking the same thing, and was wishing he could get down to '57#, yet evidently it's too much of a cut. He was a 4.0 student in HS, and in fact, graduated a semester early. He's a good student.

Good to see coach Ryan bumping up guys in weight. More coaches IMO, should look closer at the weight management plans, and let the guys wrestle at more suitable weights. On several occasions he mentioned the "cut" was too much.

whats the deal with Andrew Camp? why is he gone from tOSU

There was a thread on here about how he was arrested for something pretty bad... but then was released and had the charges dropped against him so who knows what the real story is.

whats the deal with Andrew Camp? why is he gone from tOSU

There was a thread on here about how he was arrested for something pretty bad... but then was released and had the charges dropped against him so who knows what the real story is.

I believe some, not all, charges were dropped. I do not believe he is facing felony distribtution charges anymore though.

I don't know the details of Tessari's situation but I am a little tired of this holier than thou attitude that I see from quite a few coaches these days. If you are 21 and of legal age, why shouldn't you be able to party a little if you want? Just because it's against a coach's religious beliefs doesn't make it wrong. I don't think any coach, especially one at a publicly funded institution, should hold any athlete to their personal convictions derived from their chosen religion.

I don't know the details of Tessari's situation but I am a little tired of this holier than thou attitude that I see from quite a few coaches these days. If you are 21 and of legal age, why shouldn't you be able to party a little if you want? Just because it's against a coach's religious beliefs doesn't make it wrong. I don't think any coach, especially one at a publicly funded institution, should hold any athlete to their personal convictions derived from their chosen religion.

I am betting that he was doing it during the season which is what led to the dismissal.

I am sure the coaches tell recruits drinking will not be tolerated during certain parts of the year.

If they don't want to adhere to the rules, don't sign with the program.

Yeah I don't think a coach is asking to much for his wrestlers to stay out of trouble during the season.

I feel the same way. Honestly I find Ryan's entire routine worn out and hypocritical.

Is it the coaches or the NCAA, where they are nailing institutions for every infraction? A female golfer gets busted for using university water to wash her car? Come on already. I think the environment created by the NCAA is making these coaches swing far to the right. I agree Ankle and Steamboat, someone's personal religious convictions should not dictate the direction of a publicly funded institution. It is an interesting topic though, worthy of its own thread (which would probably devolve into the old NWT forums).

Is it the coaches or the NCAA, where they are nailing institutions for every infraction? A female golfer gets busted for using university water to wash her car? Come on already. I think the environment created by the NCAA is making these coaches swing far to the right. I agree Ankle and Steamboat, someone's personal religious convictions should not dictate the direction of a publicly funded institution. It is an interesting topic though, worthy of its own thread (which would probably devolve into the old NWT forums).

The NCAA already commented that the car wash incident was not a violation. The school self-reported it out of caution.

I'm not sure on the Tessari situation, but I think it is 10 policy that coaches are required to renew scholarships unless there is some type of cause to pull. And no, legally drinking in a bar out of season does not count as "cause" even if it is team rules to prohibit drinking. Having a disappointing season or a perceived lack of work ethic/commitment are not grounds for removal of funds. Given Ryan's history of honoring scholarships, it's very likely that some type of violation did occur that gave him grounds for the dismissal.

I hate our society's double standard. Hating on religion for intolerance while themselves being intolerant of religion. Ryan makes his religious beliefs publicly known and suddenly every coaching decision is rooted in them.

This decision has nothing to do with Ryan's personal convictions. I think it is pretty obvious that he is trying to establish a wrestling culture at Ohio State. Matt Mcdonough had an awesome quote after winning his 2nd title. He said that wrestling has to be a lifestyle. You have to live it, eat it, breathe it. Ryan absolutely has the grounds to forbit partying if he believes it is detrimental to performance. Which, by the way, it absolutely is. Alcohol is toxic. Where do you think the word intoxication comes from? Even without the alcohol, late nights affect the next morning's training. I applaud Ryan for establishing a standard for his wrestlers. Come to Ohio State with the primary goal of being the best, or get the heck out. Wrestling collegiately is a privilege. It should not be taken lightly. You will have plenty of time to waste partying after your career is over.