Jimmy Cinnabon

Most physically punishing wrestler?

51 minutes ago, dman115 said:

No sarcasm at all...here is why...he was very good on his feet and had great defense.  Yes his strength was on top, but isn't that what you need to do in freestyle, turn people?  It just seems like he wasn't the super funky wrestler that would be good in folkstyle but not in free, but rather the very technical wrestler that was strong on top and could turn people rather easily.  Clearly I was wrong.

To be fair to you and to him, he was still pretty dang good in freestyle.  He just wasn't nearly as dominant.  Free really took away his most dominant position. You just don't get the time to ride and turn in free that you get in folk, let alone the time to completely wear your opponent down like Zain did.  As good as Zain was on his feet, most of his scoring opened up once he broke most opponents riding them.  

He's just (ahead of) / (behind) the curve.  He'll be a 27 year old RS senior in college.

Are we actually certain of his age? I had heard that he was a little older, but I thought it was just an 18 year old Junior or something. Happens all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bo Jordan is a great example.  He made people cry out numerous times.  What about the wrestler from clarion around the same time period?  I cant remember his name.  He definitely hurt people.  Not sure that is punishing in the same way.  His was borderline dirty,

3 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

Bo Jordan is a great example.  He made people cry out numerous times.  What about the wrestler from clarion around the same time period?  I cant remember his name.  He definitely hurt people.  Not sure that is punishing in the same way.  His was borderline dirty,

James Fleming, I think.  I think his behavior prompted the rule equating a headlock and stalling.

21 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Karelin

Best Karelin GIFs | Gfycat   

The wrestler so strong only he could perform his most famous move - Fact  Fiend

Unfortunate part is we never got to see the best version of Karelin. That injury in the 96 Euros hampered him, for a couple of years. 

Karelin would have put on a masterclass in Atlanta if he was 100% healthy. There'd be tons of footage and cool throws from that event. 

The guy getting thrown in the blue singlet was like Gwiz to Karelin's Zare. I think every match they had he got pinned or suplexed. 

8 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

Weren’t the Schultz brothers borderline dirty as well? Mark intentionally broke a guys arm with a Kimura at the Olympics after all. And while everyone loves Dave off the mat, he was no stranger to controversy.

If you put them in Hawkeye singlets today and they kept their same style my guess is they would be vilified by this forum. 

Edited by wrestlingphish

Not as decorated as the others mentioned, but 4x All American Ben Bennett from Central Michigan was brutal with his leg ride and heavy handed from neutral. 

I enjoyed wincing while watching him hurt guys over for NF. I lived in Mt. Pleasant, MI during his years. 

Poor guy had to cover a lot of extra lateral ground just to walk with all that muscle mass on his legs! His stance was unusually static, just daring an opponent to take a leg so he could abuse them. 

3 hours ago, The_MO_Godfather said:

Holy crap.

Shultz vs. Koll

Absolutely, way ahead of his time and wish we got to see him continue.  My college coach who trained on the circuit told me that one time at a weigh in, Schultz was walking up and down the line looking at people in the face and then would move on to the next person.  My coach later on asked someone what he was doing.  “If he’s trying to intimidate everyone, I don’t know if it’s working.”  The response from his coach was, “no, he’s not trying to intimidate anyone… he’s looking at their ears.  If the cauliflower is worse on one side he knows they shoot to that side more and knows which side to defend more.”  

absolute legend

1 hour ago, Schuteandscore said:

Absolutely, way ahead of his time and wish we got to see him continue.  My college coach who trained on the circuit told me that one time at a weigh in, Schultz was walking up and down the line looking at people in the face and then would move on to the next person.  My coach later on asked someone what he was doing.  “If he’s trying to intimidate everyone, I don’t know if it’s working.”  The response from his coach was, “no, he’s not trying to intimidate anyone… he’s looking at their ears.  If the cauliflower is worse on one side he knows they shoot to that side more and knows which side to defend more.”  

absolute legend

This got me wondering just where we would be in freestyle if he were still around coaching.

20 hours ago, Chucktown_Luke said:

Metcalf

To me, Brent was more relentless than punishing.  He broke you with his gas tank,  and a lot of that was on the feet vs. a guy that threw legs like Dave Schultz or Mike Sheets who put the legs in and were punishing.

Dakes mat returns are quite demoralizing.

Logan Stiebers shoulder torture probably qualifies.

Gabe Dean relentless pace and bow and arrow.

Darmstadt seems painful from top.

Edited by madcat11
Typos

On 2/17/2022 at 10:50 PM, wrestlingphish said:

Weren’t the Schultz brothers borderline dirty as well? Mark intentionally broke a guys arm with a Kimura at the Olympics after all. And while everyone loves Dave off the mat, he was no stranger to controversy.

If you put them in Hawkeye singlets today and they kept their same style my guess is they would be vilified by this forum. 

Yes. Dave Schultz was a sadist. The whole "I'll-show-you-the-technique-I-used-to-choke-you-unconscious-after-you-tapped" is some bullsh*t. Something was wrong with that dude.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, madcat11 said:

The snapper!

I told this story in another thread, but Imma tell it again bc it is the most brutal thing I've ever seen in a wrestling match. In fact, several of my wrestlers became physically ill and emotionally crushed after what they saw / heard. 

About a decade ago, I was coaching a greco dual in Big Spring, PA. My guy attempted a high-dive, got sucked into a front headlock, and dragged down to the mat. To avoid a head pinch and the like, my kid bellys down. Instead of trying to lift us up or gator roll or go behind, the other kid keeps the front headlock and does a sorta somesault kip-up. It looked like the snapper, but they were in the north - south position. He just jumped straight over, pulling up my kids head while forcing my kids hips to stay flat on the mat. My kid was bent in half backwards ... Kerry-Strug-uneven-bars-style-catstrophe. Immediately after the kid somersaulted forward, you heard this sickening pop. It broke my kid's back. The rest of the team couldn't figure out whether to fight, cry, or throw up. Worst day of my career.

He never fully recovered. His career in the Marine Corps (a childhood dream) was cut short bc of the lingering effects. 

Edited by jackwebster