Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

World Team Trials

Are there a list of qualifiers somewhere? How do people qualify and how many? I see on the homepage it talks about 74K being loaded and saw a preview for a greco weight but couldn't find anything else.

Thanks!

The front page article on themat.com says he got fourth at 2012 OTT

If I'm working through it correctly, Dake beat Marable for 3rd in the challenge part of the Olympic Team Trials. That equals out to 4th overall behind Burroughs (automatic finalist), Howe (Challenge tournament winner), and Paulson (2nd in Challenge Tournament). No True Thrid place match occured since Paulson beat Dake earlier in the Challenge Tournament. Maybe the should have listed Paulson as 3rd at Trials instead of Dake.

How will the seeds go for 74Kg ?

Just a spit ball seeding below. This will be very interesting.

1. JB - Obviously

2. Taylor - Has competed at the weight class

3. Howe - out with injury for long period of time, last competition was not at this weight

4. Dake - limited competitions on Sr level

The front page article on themat.com says he got fourth at 2012 OTT

If I'm working through it correctly, Dake beat Marable for 3rd in the challenge part of the Olympic Team Trials. That equals out to 4th overall behind Burroughs (automatic finalist), Howe (Challenge tournament winner), and Paulson (2nd in Challenge Tournament). No True Thrid place match occured since Paulson beat Dake earlier in the Challenge Tournament. Maybe the should have listed Paulson as 3rd at Trials instead of Dake.

Thanks. Flo had Dake as true third.

How will the seeds go for 74Kg ?

Just a spit ball seeding below. This will be very interesting.

1. JB - Obviously

2. Taylor - Has competed at the weight class

3. Howe - out with injury for long period of time, last competition was not at this weight

4. Dake - limited competitions on Sr level

Jordan gets to sit out

1. David Taylor (thats weird considering dake has beat him)

2. Marble

3. My guess Paulson

4. My guess Howe

5. My guess Dake

hard to seed but dont get DT at #1 besides marble

he has lost to howe and dake

If you read the article, it says Taylor is top seed as the highest nationals finisher who didn't get a bye to the finals. Seems like they are incentivizing guys to wrestle at the nationals by giving the top two seeds to the highest finishers. After that could be Howe or Paulson, depending on the criteria they use with Howe 2nd at Olympic trials, but Paulson placing in an international tournament this season.

Isn't Taylor just focusing on universities this year? I recall him stating that.

that was his quote after winning universities. in a recent interview he stated he was looking forward to the competition at WTT. i can't remember where i saw the second interview.

Where do you see the seeds? According to this ranking, Howe is second behind Burroughs, followed by Taylor, then Dake. Trent Paulson is ranked 8th, after Marable, Morningstar and Sponseller, which seems odd, since I am pretty sure he beat all those guys.

http://www.themat.com/section.php?secti ... ingID=1475

I wouldn't pay attention to those rankings right now. They are basically the finishes from nationals with a few guys who didn't compete at nationals thrown in. Paulson hasn't competed since the trials last year which is why he was thrown in low at 8. Howe while he wasn't at 74kg, competed recently at university nationals and won. Dake didn't compete at nationals but wrestled in the Iran dual. Seeds aren't released yet. Most likely seeds will be based off of nationals results and then a few guys thrown in the mix. The article about 74kg last week(not the preview article yesterday) said that Taylor would be the #1 seed since he finished 2nd at nationals(Burroughs has a bye to the finals). Dake will probably be #2 or #3, Howe will be either #2 or #3.

Just to clear up the seeding issue. The 2nd and 3rd place finisher from the us open will get the 1 and 2 seeds in the challenge tournament. therefore it will be 1. taylor 2. marable. Then based on previous results most likely will be howe at 3 based on his 2nd place finish at trials last year (over all the same guys in the bracket this year) and paulson/dake 4/5 (doesnt really matter as they will wrestle in quarters. Again this is not locked in stone, but these are the likeliest seeds at this time.

Just to clear up the seeding issue. The 2nd and 3rd place finisher from the us open will get the 1 and 2 seeds in the challenge tournament. therefore it will be 1. taylor 2. marable. Then based on previous results most likely will be howe at 3 based on his 2nd place finish at trials last year (over all the same guys in the bracket this year) and paulson/dake 4/5 (doesnt really matter as they will wrestle in quarters. Again this is not locked in stone, but these are the likeliest seeds at this time.

What about at 84 KG?

Copied this from a post on the PSU board. "Ruth at 4 and Keddy at 5. They both lost to the same guys at the Open this year with Ruth getting beat worse than Keddy in both losses and Keddy owns a head to head victory from last year's Olympic Trials as well as a gold medal at the Pan American Championships this year."

It seems to me that Keddy should be ahead of Ruth but the rankings (and probably seedings) don't reflect that. Did they just look strictly at the placings from the Open to do these? Or are we looking at total body of work over the last year?

What about at 84 KG?

Copied this from a post on the PSU board. "Ruth at 4 and Keddy at 5. They both lost to the same guys at the Open this year with Ruth getting beat worse than Keddy in both losses and Keddy owns a head to head victory from last year's Olympic Trials as well as a gold medal at the Pan American Championships this year."

It seems to me that Keddy should be ahead of Ruth but the rankings (and probably seedings) don't reflect that. Did they just look strictly at the placings from the Open to do these? Or are we looking at total body of work over the last year?

I think 1st criteria is placing from nationals this year. So Keddy would be #1 and Foster #2. Ruth and Keddy would be 4/5 so they would be in the same position as the Paulson/Dake scenario above. They would meet in the quarters so that seed is essentially the same.

I cant give you a definite answer on the rankings aspect since I did not do them but I do believe us open results played the most influential part in the rankings. Having said that the rankings do not constitute seeding for the trials. There will be your usual seeding meeting to hash it all out so id expect head to heads to come in to play in the situation your asking about with ruth and keddy

I think 1st criteria is placing from nationals this year. So Keddy would be #1 and Foster #2. Ruth and Keddy would be 4/5 so they would be in the same position as the Paulson/Dake scenario above. They would meet in the quarters so that seed is essentially the same.

Gavin is the 1 and gets the bye to finals. Challenge tournament will be foster 1 seed, reader 2 seed, then up in the air as of right now on ruth/keddy for 3 and 4 then trotman 5 most likely