portajohn

Most Overlooked "Greats"

Apologies for the Cinnabonesque question but who to you are wrestlers that often get overlooked when presented with, "who's the greatest at..." hypotheticals.

As a PSU fan I often notice Ed Ruth gets overlooked in regards to anything that is PSU related even though anyone could easily argue he is at the top of the list in many if not all categories.  I've also noticed Greg Jones, Chris Pendleton,  TJ Williams, and many others often get overlooked.  

Alan Fried gets more love and respect than any other 1x champ ever. He’s the opposite of what the OP is asking for, imho. My answer would be almost any 2x or 3xer from anywhere other than Iowa, OkSt, or more recently, PSU. Guys like Valenti, Russell, Cuvo, Krieger, Volker, and many others. Just not as many fans of those teams on the forum so they get talked about way less. 

H. DeMarsh:  there was a point in time when he was the only NCAA champ, yet folks don't even mention him.  Without DeMarsh leading the way there'd be no Hutton, Hodge, Uetake, Gables, Sanderson etc.

have no idea what I'm talking about

Probably people from long ago because recency bias is real and  many are no longer with us. Also wrestlers who had highest of peaks types careers that get overlooked in favor of longevity accomplishments. 

Greg Jones, Kevin Randleman and Markus Mollica.  These three were all time college greats that did not have much success after college in freestyle (not sure Randleman did any post-collegiate freestyle) so tend to probably get forgotten more than those who we can remember as world team members.

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

Greg Jones, Kevin Randleman and Markus Mollica.  These three were all time college greats that did not have much success after college in freestyle (not sure Randleman did any post-collegiate freestyle) so tend to probably get forgotten more than those who we can remember as world team members.

Randleman was terrifying. I met him once at an mma gym. Super nice in person. 

Watching footage of him vs Coleman training is insane. Randleman had abilities I have never seen before. He was a ridiculous talent

19 hours ago, portajohn said:

Apologies for the Cinnabonesque question but who to you are wrestlers that often get overlooked when presented with, "who's the greatest at..." hypotheticals.

As a PSU fan I often notice Ed Ruth gets overlooked in regards to anything that is PSU related even though anyone could easily argue he is at the top of the list in many if not all categories.  I've also noticed Greg Jones, Chris Pendleton,  TJ Williams, and many others often get overlooked.  

Probably because Ed lost as a senior, to a freshman.  

Comparatively, Bo Nickal as a sophomore then beat that guy who was a senior 2X champ in the finals.

Taylor also smoked Ed in freestyle.  For me Ed is an easy PSU #5 behind Nickal, Taylor, Nolf and Retherford.  Ahead of Hall, Wright, Joseph, Megaludis and Molinaro.

Wow that’s a pretty good top 10 since Cael arrived.  Did I miss anyone?