Jump to content
VakAttack

I know we often disagree on what is top stalling, but...

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

So you don't mind the endless nauseating stall call begging from one fan base, just the times when someone calls them out for it. Got it. 

quick question......... how many times have you been to Carver for matches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

 the two times I have attended  matches at PSU it was just as bad.I guess your hearing fails you when PSU fans do the same thing. Got it.

Can confirm, I was at the Collegiate Duals in Florida and an NC State fan I was sitting with turned to his buddy behind me and was commented on the Penn State fans being just as abad as the Iowa fans regarding the calling for stalling.

The truth is, most fan bases are pretty bad about it in general, but the larger the base, the louder it sounds.

Anyway, did anybody even mention an Iowa wrestler in this thread before tbar went off?  The only thing I can find is somebody criticizing Cassioppi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Can confirm, I was at the Collegiate Duals in Florida and an NC State fan I was sitting with turned to his buddy behind me and was commented on the Penn State fans being just as abad as the Iowa fans regarding the calling for stalling.

The truth is, most fan bases are pretty bad about it in general, but the larger the base, the louder it sounds.

Anyway, did anybody even mention an Iowa wrestler in this thread before tbar went off?  The only thing I can find is somebody criticizing Cassioppi.

Nope, it was just another b!*ch fest for TBar.  PSU fans and all college wrestling fans are just as bad at calling for stalling and to answer your question TBar, Iowa gets more calls because they are usually the ones forcing the actions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

 the two times I have attended  matches at PSU it was just as bad.I guess your hearing fails you when PSU fans do the same thing. Got it.

Honestly, I don't like the stall call begging from any fanbases, but it is even worse when it comes from coaches. And to memorialize it in a statue? No wonder the fans do it so relentlessly, instictively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Can confirm, I was at the Collegiate Duals in Florida and an NC State fan I was sitting with turned to his buddy behind me and was commented on the Penn State fans being just as abad as the Iowa fans regarding the calling for stalling.

The truth is, most fan bases are pretty bad about it in general, but the larger the base, the louder it sounds.

Anyway, did anybody even mention an Iowa wrestler in this thread before tbar went off?  The only thing I can find is somebody criticizing Cassioppi.

They don't have to mention an Iowa wrestler. This is like a proxy fight with Iowa fans. Anything to keep the "HE'S STALLING!!! agenda going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Honestly, I don't like the stall call begging from any fanbases, but it is even worse when it comes from coaches. And to memorialize it in a statue? No wonder the fans do it so relentlessly, instictively.

don't know if you missed it .........but that statue memorializes Gable wanting his own wrestler called for stalling.

by the way you didn't answer the question regarding how many times you have been to a wrestling match in Carver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

don't know if you missed it .........but that statue memorializes Gable wanting his own wrestler called for stalling.

by the way you didn't answer the question regarding how many times you have been to a wrestling match in Carver.

which Iowa wrestler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

don't know if you missed it .........but that statue memorializes Gable wanting his own wrestler called for stalling.

by the way you didn't answer the question regarding how many times you have been to a wrestling match in Carver.

Gable was so virtuous he only wanted his own guys called for stalling? Sounds entirely believable. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

don't know if you missed it .........but that statue memorializes Gable wanting his own wrestler called for stalling.

by the way you didn't answer the question regarding how many times you have been to a wrestling match in Carver.

I am sure you realize being there is not required to have a POV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Gable was so virtuous he only wanted his own guys called for stalling? Sounds entirely believable. Lol. 

No, he wanted ALL wrestlers including his own to be called for stalling instead of just backing up like most of Iowa opponents did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

I am sure you realize being there is not required to have a POV.

so you haven't heard this personally.......yet you call them out ......no mention of PSU being as bad.......... or any other team for that matter. it's a bad look for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such thing as top stalling. Stalling means not trying to score. There is a riding time point in college, so all riding is in an effort to get the riding time point, or to neutralize your opponent from getting this point. TLDR: It is impossible to stall on top in college wrestling and anyone who tries to get these rules enforced is just playing stylistic favorites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Twooooo said:

No, he wanted ALL wrestlers including his own to be called for stalling instead of just backing up like most of Iowa opponents did.

So it really always was about Iowa's opponents. Let's be real. This nonsense it was about an Iowa wrestler is just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

so you haven't heard this personally.......yet you call them out ......no mention of PSU being as bad.......... or any other team for that matter. it's a bad look for you.

I never said I haven't heard this personally. Let's keep things real. 

Btw, pretty sure Vak stated he has never even been in Iowa - I have - but curious you seem to have no problem with him having a POV. Maybe you just don't like people having a POV you don't like or are unwilling to give consideration to. 

The Iowa fanbase is completely emotionally invested in the STALL CALL for its point scoring potential in key matches. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I never said I haven't heard this personally. Let's keep things real. 

Btw, pretty sure Vak stated he has never even been in Iowa - I have - but curious you seem to have no problem with him having a POV. Maybe you just don't like people having a POV you don't like or are unwilling to give consideration to. 

The Iowa fanbase is completely emotionally invested in the STALL CALL for its point scoring potential in key matches. 

Literally the only person who made this about Iowa is you.  I was talking about a match between an NC State wrestler and a Virginia Tech wrestler.  You understand that more schools wrestle than just your favorite and my favorite, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty common knowledge about gable wanted his man to be called

but the statue is made from a pic at the national duals i believe...where he wanted it called against another wrestler

semantics i know..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 1979 I believe...in reference to the Gable statue...it was a signature posture for Dan and it wasn't unusual for him to do it to is own wrestler as well as opposing ones. He demanded and trained them to constantly pressure in and then change direction with head snaps..."Iowa also lost the 177‐pound bout as Mark Lieberman of Lehigh successfully defended his championship when Bud Palmer was disqualified for stalling." (excerpt)

They had a rule for a couple years in the 70's that if you took two steps backward, it was automatic stalling...it was a great a rule for awhile and Gable/Iowa used it brilliantly...Two on one, two steps back..STALL!...inside tie, two steps back..STALL!  undertook, two steps back...STALL!  Problem was, you could get called 15 seconds into the match and you had that stall call hanging over your head for the next 7:45 min...if you lasted that long. It forced everyone to stay centered and wrestle and that played into Iowa's hands...Gable/Iowa mastered the push, push, resist...snap/shot...push, push, snap, front head..they just wore you out and they pinned a boat load of folks too in the process. Iowa's conditioning was superb, so that helped. Lots of "NCAA Champ pinned/loses after leading Iowa..." type headlines... I witnessed quite a few NCAA champs stare up at the lights after being up 5-6-7 points going into the third period..and you didn't get to choose feet...you had to go down and they pounded you there too...opponents would be so damn tired, they literally quit.  Until folks basically stopped actually "wrestling." Then, the rule changed... it became who was strongest and positioned best to push and get stall calls with no real "wrestling." That's why the idea of a push-out, step out, or whatever you want to call it is not a good idea imo...we already have rules for avoiding contact or fleeing the mat..

Edited by patmilkovich
misspelled word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, patmilkovich said:

 1979 I believe...in reference to the Gable statue...it was a signature posture for Dan and it wasn't unusual for him to do it to is own wrestler as well as opposing ones. He demanded and trained them to constantly pressure in and then change direction with head snaps..."Iowa also lost the 177‐pound bout as Mark Lieberman of Lehigh successfully defended his championship when Bud Palmer was disqualified for stalling." (excerpt)

They had a rule for a couple years in the 70's that if you took two steps backward, it was automatic stalling...it was a great a rule for awhile and Gable/Iowa used it brilliantly...Two on one, two steps back..STALL!...inside tie, two steps back..STALL!  undertook, two steps back...STALL!  Problem was, you could get called 15 seconds into the match and you had that stall call hanging over your head for the next 7:45 min...if you lasted that long. It forced everyone to stay centered and wrestle and that played into Iowa's hands...Gable/Iowa mastered the push, push, resist...snap/shot...push, push, snap, front head..they just wore you out and they pinned a boat load of folks too in the process. Iowa's conditioning was superb, so that helped. Lots of "NCAA Champ pinned/loses after leading Iowa..." type headlines... I witnessed quite a few NCAA champs stare up at the lights after being up 5-6-7 points going into the third period..and you didn't get to choose feet...you had to go down and they pounded you there too...opponents would be so damn tired, they literally quit.  Until folks basically stopped actually "wrestling." Then, the rule changed... it became who was strongest and positioned best to push and get stall calls with no real "wrestling." That's why the idea of a push-out, step out, or whatever you want to call it is not a good idea imo...we already have rules for avoiding contact or fleeing the mat..

this

i had to quote, b/c i am out of likes for the day

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tbar........ maybe now you realize it wasn't "nonsense" . another question.......... how do you get nauseated when you have never personally seen said actions?

thanks for the clarity Pat.

Edited by AKHUNTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such thing as top stalling. Stalling means not trying to score. There is a riding time point in college, so all riding is in an effort to get the riding time point, or to neutralize your opponent from getting this point. TLDR: It is impossible to stall on top in college wrestling and anyone who tries to get these rules enforced is just playing stylistic favorites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...