Sign in to follow this  
vhsalum

Respond to FILA's new rules on Facebook

Nice, long discussion on the FILA's newest rule changes... Check out the FILA OFFICIAL Facebook page.

Would like to see some of our regular posters join the discussion. Silent Dziedzic finally makes an appearance, tells us that World and Olympic Champions don't mind the rule change because they've 'never been 5'd'

The concept 'out of touch' doesn't exist within FILA.

While I respect Stan D's accomplishments as a wrestler, I cannot really say the same for his representation at fila. The impression I get is that he no longer has the best interests of wrestling in mind. He constantly praised the accolades of the failed two out of three that 99% of the population hated. Rather than get into a bunch of "what ifs", let's just let them wrestle. Look up an old Todd Giles - Michal Foy match and you will see that in the third match of an Olympic Festival/World Trials match, Foy was down 7 or 8 to 0 and had given up at least one three point move if not two. He came roaring back and was ahead 12-9 or something when Giles finally defaulted due to injury. My scores are not exact but the gist is correct, Foy was down a bunch before coming back and this kind of thing does happen. It may not be the norm, but it is enough that it merits consideration and is what makes the sport exciting. A 7 point "tech" offers no such opportunity for an exciting comeback.

I'm heavily involved with the conversation on FB, and I wish I was getting better answers than I am. Stan finally explained the 7-0 tech and his argument at least made sense, but comparing a 5-0 wrestling match of 6 minutes to a 5-0 soccer match of 90 minutes is a bit of a stretch, especially when a single move can score 5. My biggest concern is the match-ending 3s and 5s, which seemingly no one knew about between May 18th and the publication of the rules. Stan is claiming it was clearly outlined they'd be part of the rules, but if that is the case, why did it catch everyone off guard and why weren't they used at any of the events using the new rules?

We were caught off guard because Stan D is full of it. Those provisions indeed were NOT at all outlined previously.

Very untrue (at least about the 5).

It was clearly shown in some of the things I had seen and when USA made it's determination the next week after the LA event I kept asking about the 5 pt ending the match if ahead in the score and people kept saying it wasn't included.

We were caught off guard because Stan D is full of it. Those provisions indeed were NOT at all outlined previously.

It was clearly shown in some of the things I had seen and when USA made it's determination the next week after the LA event I kept asking about the 5 pt ending the match if ahead in the score and people kept saying it wasn't included.

Can you provide an example of where you had seen the match-ending 3/5 mentioned on or before their May 18th announcement? I'm simply interested because I haven't been able to find anything, nor have many others. Was it used at Ali Aliev or Russian Grecos?

Can you provide an example of where you had seen the match-ending 3/5 mentioned on or before their May 18th announcement? I'm simply interested because I haven't been able to find anything, nor have many others. Was it used at Ali Aliev or Russian Grecos?

Appears to be in a proposal FILA sent out at some point. I believe I saw it in two different documents. I have one in front of me on paper. Don't remember where I got it and seem to remember seeing it somewhere online.

Appears to be in a proposal FILA sent out at some point. I believe I saw it in two different documents. I have one in front of me on paper. Don't remember where I got it and seem to remember seeing it somewhere online.

Fair enough, I will continue looking for it online. What I'm interested in is if it was mentioned at the Moscow meeting to the federations as a rule that was actually taking effect (not just a proposal). It isn't mentioned in the release on the FILA website on May 18th and it wasn't mentioned to media (none I've found anyways) that talked to officials and participants at the meeting. If everyone was aware that it was being included, you would think it would have been used in the USA, Canada or Russia when they used the new rules that were to take effect immediately on May 19th.

Fair enough, I will continue looking for it online. What I'm interested in is if it was mentioned at the Moscow meeting to the federations as a rule that was actually taking effect (not just a proposal). It isn't mentioned in the release on the FILA website on May 18th and it wasn't mentioned to media (none I've found anyways) that talked to officials and participants at the meeting. If everyone was aware that it was being included, you would think it would have been used in the USA, Canada or Russia when they used the new rules that were to take effect immediately on May 19th.

The document shows no time indiciations. Just a FILA logo. Obviously written sometime after the 11/23 meeting since that's mentioned. It could be from Dziedzic since it's mentioned in first person the he was to make something of the suggestions.

While I respect Stan D's accomplishments as a wrestler, I cannot really say the same for his representation at fila. The impression I get is that he no longer has the best interests of wrestling in mind.

No way is any of this possible. I couldn't disagree with you more.

There is a huge disconnect between FILA and their fan base/media representation. They ask for opinions, then disregard the opinion when it's 99% unified. I understand the opinion beyond North American borders matters, but that's the reality on the social media end of things. It can be claimed that the Wrestling world worked together to create these rules, but the evidence of such doesn't reflect that claim.

We are all on the same side and I want nothing more than wrestling to prosper. The opinion and wishes of the bureau, congress and high-level athletes is fantastic. However, it's the fans, media, parents, grassroot athletes, family and outsiders that will increase wrestling's viewership and strength.