Another way to view the event (wrestlers and schedule) from a US vantage:

2022 YASAR DOGU INTERNATIONAL – UWW RANKING SERIES EVENT
Feb. 24-27, 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
61 kg: Nico Megaludis(Titan Mercury WC)
61 kg: Daniel Deshazer
(Gopher WC RTC)
65 kg: Evan Henderson(Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Jordan Oliver (Sunkist Kids WC)
70 kg: James Green (Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault(Scarlet Knights WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg: Joey Lavallee(Titan Mercury WC)
79 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)
79 kg: Chance Marsteller(Titan Mercury WC)
79 kg: David McFadden(Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
86 kg: Mark Hall(Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg: Kollin Moore (Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Spartan Combat RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Hayden Zillmer(Gopher WC RTC)

U.S. women’s freestyle roster
50 kg: Amy Fearnside(Titan Mercury WC)
50 kg: Erin Golston(Wisconsin RTC/New York AC)
53 kg: Dom Parrish(Sunkist Kids WC)
55 kg: Jacarra Winchester(USOPTC/Titan Mercury WC)
55 kg: Sophia 
Mirabella(Team Tornado WC)
59 kg: Michaela Beck(Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids)
62 kg: Macey Kilty(TarHeel WC/Sunkist Kids)
62 kg: Emma Bruntil(USOPTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Mallory Velte(Beaver Dam RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Forrest Molinari(Sunkist Kids WC)
65 kg: Solin Piearcy(Menlo WC)
76 kg: Victoria Francis(Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury WC)
76 kg: Precious Bell (Titan Mercury WC)

Schedule (8 hours ahead of U.S. ET)
Thursday, Feb. 24
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)
5 p.m. – Opening ceremony (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)

Friday, Feb. 25
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (WFS 57, 62, 68, 76 kg; GR 72, 77, 82 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (WFS 57, 62, 68, 76 kg; GR 72, 77, 82 kg)

Saturday, Feb. 26
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (WFS 50, 53, 55, 59, 65, 72 kg; MFS 97, 125 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (WFS 50, 53, 55, 59, 65, 72 kg; MFS 97, 125 kg)

Sunday, Feb. 27
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (MFS 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 79, 86, 92 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (MFS 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 79, 86, 92 kg)

I'm surprised to not see Snyder, Gilman, Ringer, Zahid, and Nolf among others.

79kg participants really caught my attention. Nolf in particular has been doing a great job of travelling to take it to the next level. Maybe he wants to avoid JB, but what about Imar and Ringer? I get that Imar is coaching and thus skipping but is Ringer actively coaching at UM? Oh well those 3 aren't going so bully for Marstellar and McFadden.

Marstellar intrigues me. Might be a really disappointing trip but if I'm being honest I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he turns some heads.

Turkey has sided with Ukraine in its present dispute with Russia.  Perhaps not surprising given that a Turkic group — Crimean Tatars — have long inhabited Crimea.

In fact, it seems like a lot of countries have lined up against Russia in this dispute — with a few exceptions, including Belarus and Cuba.

Hopefully none of this spills over into the tournament.

I don’t want this thread to be deleted so let’s please stay away from domestic politics, and only describe the geopolitical situation in neutral terms.  

Edited by Katie

18 hours ago, Katie said:

Turkey has sided with Ukraine in its present dispute with Russia.  Perhaps not surprising given that a Turkic group — Crimean Tatars — have long inhabited Crimea.

In fact, it seems like a lot of countries have lined up against Russia in this dispute — with a few exceptions, including Belarus and Cuba.

I don’t want this thread to be deleted so let’s please stay away from domestic politics, and only describe the geopolitical situation in neutral terms.  

I just want a meme with Justin Timberlake in  Europe singing "Crimea River" with some sort of wacky Russians splashing around in a body of water....
That's not too much to ask is it?

22 hours ago, Katie said:

why would it impact a tournament held in Turkey (not Russia or Ukraine)? Are you saying that Russians might not want to travel to Turkey?

36 minutes ago, NJDan said:

why would it impact a tournament held in Turkey (not Russia or Ukraine)? Are you saying that Russians might not want to travel to Turkey?

If — as it appears — Russians and/or Belarusians will be there alongside Ukrainians and others, there could be some bad blood.  And people from Turkey — the host county — may not take kindly to the presence of Russians and Belarusians.

It just seems like there could be an edgy atmosphere. This would be particularly true if Russia takes additional military actions just before the tournament, or during it.

Edited by Katie

I'd be surprised if Russia's latest military escalation affects the Yashar Dogu.

Russia invaded Ukraine back in 2014 and Ukraine and Russia have been competing in all sports against each other since then without incident.

Azerbaijan and Armenia fought a war with thousands of casualties on both sides in 2020 and those countries have competing against each other in sports since then without incident. 

Additionally most of the Russian, Belarussian & Ukrainian athletes (on the freestyle circuit at least) are from the Caucasus region and will be less personally affected by what happens in Ukraine. 

But I don't know for sure and things could be different this time. The current escalation could turn into a much bigger deal and/or the athletes may feel like some sort of response from themselves is warranted. 

24 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I'd be surprised if Russia's latest military escalation affects the Yashar Dogu.

Russia invaded Ukraine back in 2014 and Ukraine and Russia have been competing in all sports against each other since then without incident.

Azerbaijan and Armenia fought a war with thousands of casualties on both sides in 2020 and those countries have competing against each other in sports since then without incident. 

Additionally most of the Russian, Belarussian & Ukrainian athletes (on the freestyle circuit at least) are from the Caucasus region and will be less personally affected by what happens in Ukraine. 

But I don't know for sure and things could be different this time. The current escalation could turn into a much bigger deal and/or the athletes may feel like some sort of response from themselves is warranted. 

Blood+in+the+Water+Match.jpg

54 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Yeah, there are (and have been) conflicts between many nations, and all the while those nations’ athletes compete. (But there also seems to be a regular stream of boycotts — including diplomatic boycotts of the 2022 Winter Olympics.)

The conflict between Russia and Ukraine has been ongoing since 2014, and could become catastrophic soon. (Hope not.) What a tense time.

Edited by Katie

Now that military operations have escalated as of this morning, it seems possible that Turkey could deny visa applications from Russians and Belarusians.

But there are obviously tremendously bigger issues to hash out right now.  So I’ll see myself out of this thread.  

Riza lost by pin in the semis and gave up points.  I don't like to make that big of a deal of results outside of Worlds Contis and domestic eliminators,  but Riza does not lose. Since 2016 he has only lost 3 times and two of those were ref point matches. The third was an injury/form related collapse against a far inferior opponents.  I don't know what shape he was in but Riza has a lot of miles on his body and not everyone ages gracefully. He has not historically been like a Geno or Snyder who takes odd loses and bounces back no problem.  

1 hour ago, Crash said:

Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2022/February/25/Yasar-Dogu-Draws-MFS

This crap (US vs. US) in early rounds happens so often at international tournaments that you have to wonder whether host nations stack the deck (rig the brackets) in order to eliminate as many of their foreign opponents as they can.   Why travel half way around the world in order to wrestle a domestic opponent right off the bat?

21 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2022/February/25/Yasar-Dogu-Draws-MFS

This crap (US vs. US) in early rounds happens so often at international tournaments that you have to wonder whether host nations stack the deck (rig the brackets) in order to eliminate as many of their foreign opponents as they can.   Why travel half way around the world in order to wrestle a domestic opponent right off the bat?

Turkey, Iran, India, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Russia all have wrestlers meeting in the first round. I agree the countries should be separated but don't think it's a conspiracy against the United States. Turkey, the host country, has as many first round head to heads as the US.

Turkey, Iran, India, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Russia all have wrestlers meeting in the first round. I agree the countries should be separated but don't think it's a conspiracy against the United States. Turkey, the host country, has as many first round head to heads as the US.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ukraine invasion may not affect the Dogu, but I think two-time World Champion and Olympic Champion Zhan Beleniuk (along with boxing world champions Alexander Usyk and the Klitschko brothers)  would argue that future competitions will not be fun and games and kumbaya.

May be an image of ‎1 person and ‎text that says '‎ن Liked by heavyweightnation and 11,101 others zhanbeleniuk You want peace prepare for war! Keep the gunpowder dry, and "Makarova" clear and the main thing is a hot heart, and a cold mind! Keeping‎'‎‎

I agree it’s not a US bias, but it still doesn’t make it right. Why is it so hard to separate people from the same country? Especially without true double elimination format. Imagine flying halfway around the world trying to get international experience just to get one match with someone from your own country who you have already wrestled many times!

6 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

The Ukraine invasion may not affect the Dogu, but I think two-time World Champion and Olympic Champion Zhan Beleniuk (along with boxing world champions Alexander Usyk and the Klitschko brothers)  would argue that future competitions will not be fun and games and kumbaya.

May be an image of ‎1 person and ‎text that says '‎ن Liked by heavyweightnation and 11,101 others zhanbeleniuk You want peace prepare for war! Keep the gunpowder dry, and "Makarova" clear and the main thing is a hot heart, and a cold mind! Keeping‎'‎‎

Why single them out? Those particular athletes except for maybe Zhan won't face any. 

Klitschkos are retired and old. Usyk is a prize fighter in a professional "sport" with no meritocratic draws,  tournaments, or anything like that. He won't fight a Russian unless he goes out of his way to. None of the current Russian prize fighters are big money draws.  And in any case Usyk is pretty old and tied up with big money fights against  Brits and Americans. 

Gwiazdowski over Zillmer 3-0

1st

Zillmer warned for passivity

Gwiazdowski warned for passivity

Zillmer on clock-Gwiazdowski point, 1-0

1-0 Gwiazdowski after 1.  Nothing from either, really

2nd

Gwiazdowski comes out a little more aggressive and Zillmer responds with a little more as well.

Gwiazdowski shot.  Nothing.

Zillmer low single.  Gwiazdowski working a crotch lift.  Zillmer flattens out and Gwiazdowski spins behind.  Gwiazdowski 3-0.

Zillmer low single.  Nothing.

Zillmer shot.  Stuffed.

Final minute is a lot of Zillmer noncommittal low singles.  Small little push out of frustration at the end from Zillmer.

3-0 Gwiazdowski FINAL.

Interestingly enough, to me, Gwiazdowski outmuscled him.  He controlled the ties, the hand fighting, and was just the stronger wrestler.  Once he added a little aggression Zillmer really didn't have anything for him.  That ks interesting to me because while Dom Bradley was noticeably stronger than Zillmer at WTT, Zillmer did a great job of not getting outmuscled.  If I had to guess Zillmer looked 225-230 - he was very lean still, leaner than WTT.

Edited by nhs67

UWW has made some great steps in making wrestling easy to watch, but following the tournament starting today I can see that the stream sucks and they have gone backwards. Why can you now only rewind to 1 minute back? You used to be able to rewind and re watch every match or sequence on a mat until the whole session ended and the stream stopped, even if it was 2 hours ago.  This new player they are using with the yellow bar is not good. Not sure why they changed it but they should go back to the old one which was perfectly fine. 

Edited by Shiraz123