Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1032004

Good in depth article on Pat Pop and NC State

Recommended Posts

Clearly one of the best coaches in the NCAA.  Nobody really will argue with that.  So to spice up your thread a bit (I hope you don't mind).  

What programs do we think he would actually leave NC State for?

I guess he wasn't considered at Cornell, but maybe if Mike Grey doesn't work out would he go there with the NY ties?

Okstate of course, but there's a replacement for smith waiting in the wings already. 

Iowa won't be looking for a new coach any time soon now that Brands has won another NCAA team title.

Ohio State  maybe?  How many more years before Tom Ryan starts getting some pressure?  Or has he earned the right to coach there as long as he'd like given that he's the best coach in the history of the program and his continued recruiting success?

Oklahoma  Was he considered here in the past?  Is it even a better job than NC State at this point? Will likely be a vacant job soon.

Iowa State Dresser seems to have the program moving in the right direction. Is this still a top 10 job? 

 

Or is he just another Brian Smith, where he has built a program and a legacy from the ground floor, and there's no point in starting over anywhere.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Ohio State  maybe?  How many more years before Tom Ryan starts getting some pressure?  Or has he earned the right to coach there as long as he'd like given that he's the best coach in the history of the program and his continued recruiting success?

The wheels would have to fall off in CBUS for Ryan to be let go.  Anything could happen though. Koll is in Palo Alto FFS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

The wheels would have to fall off in CBUS for Ryan to be let go.  Anything could happen though. Koll is in Palo Alto FFS...

He has gotten so much talent in there over the past two years that I don't see it happening unless he wants to transition to more of an administrative role.  But when Snyder, Kerk, and everyone else was leaving, it seemed for a second like things were going in the wrong direction.  His one flaw as a coach is his refusal to ever practice mat wrestling, which has yielded dividends for FS results, but could cause problems at some point in the future. 

I'm just trying to think about which jobs are actually worth leaving NC State for at this point. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

 

Or is he just another Brian Smith, where he has built a program and a legacy from the ground floor, and there's no point in starting over anywhere.  

I think this is the answer. At least with his current administration. Especially because it was an administration at an ACC school that actually took the time to find a good coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The program I may see Pat Pop leaving NCST for would be Pitt.  A wealth of in-state talent, but he may be left with Cael's hand me downs.  Of course he already seems to be able to recruit Pa to NCST.  I don't know how in love with Gavin Pitt is.  In the context of Rob Koll leaving CU for Stanford, which was almost out of business, I guess the answer is... Who knows??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Clearly one of the best coaches in the NCAA.  Nobody really will argue with that.  So to spice up your thread a bit (I hope you don't mind).  

What programs do we think he would actually leave NC State for?

I guess he wasn't considered at Cornell, but maybe if Mike Grey doesn't work out would he go there with the NY ties?

Okstate of course, but there's a replacement for smith waiting in the wings already. 

Iowa won't be looking for a new coach any time soon now that Brands has won another NCAA team title.

Ohio State  maybe?  How many more years before Tom Ryan starts getting some pressure?  Or has he earned the right to coach there as long as he'd like given that he's the best coach in the history of the program and his continued recruiting success?

Oklahoma  Was he considered here in the past?  Is it even a better job than NC State at this point? Will likely be a vacant job soon.

Iowa State Dresser seems to have the program moving in the right direction. Is this still a top 10 job? 

 

Or is he just another Brian Smith, where he has built a program and a legacy from the ground floor, and there's no point in starting over anywhere.  

I was actually thinking this when I read the article.  Kept talking about how his goal was to win a title.  Clearly he thinks he can win one there and I’d agree.  But if he stays another ~10 years or whatever and still doesn’t win could definitely see him leaving. 
 

I have no real reason for this but I wonder if he’d want to get back to the NY/NJ area. Rutgers if Goodale leaves? Lehigh if Santoro leaves? Columbia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...