Sign in to follow this  
buckshot1969

It's never too late to start wrestling

I've heard lots of opinions on kids not having a chance to be good unless they start young. If you're one of those people (or even if you're not) you should check out this article on Nico Tocci or Warwick HS in PA. He's going to the Air Force Academy to wrestle despite not starting to wrestle until 8th grade. This is a good article that also mentions his brother who started in 9th grade but it was written before sectionals. Nico was the #2 seed behind the returning state champ Kaedyn Williams  whom he beat in the finals and it wasn't a fluke. His younger brother also fought back for 3rd place to also qualify for districts. I remember seeing Nico compete in cross country and was amazed at how such a little guy could keep up with much bigger runners but he would hit that finish line at a sprint every race and consistently outpaced kids who looked more like a runner than he does. I think it's telling that it was Nico who broke the returning champ in the 3rd period and literally out-gassed him. He's a heck of an athlete who has the heart to qualify for states imo.

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/highschool/wrestling/warwicks-nico-tocci-pushing-for-final-postseason-wrestling-run/article_45a97e58-8c83-11ec-8655-37bc1aec8d7e.html

In reality. HS junior and senior is too late. A complete noob Hs senior starting wrestling in varsity and then never doing it again after a couple months would be strange. 

I'm sure it has happened but to what end. 

This thread seems to think the only reason to start wrestling is to compete at an elite level.  There are plenty of kids who wrestle from 6-17 who don't make it to that high of a level.  Even if a 17 year old joins a team for one season, makes some friends, gets a little healthier, sees success and failure, gains some new skills and develops some inner strength it was worth it.

While perhaps few, there are certainly state champions (and even NCAA medalists) who did not start wrestling until grade 10 or later, and some college coaches perhaps view a higher ceiling for such a wrestler.  Granted, CT and New England may not be a hot-bed for producing D1 talent, but one example would be Richard Perry (Bloomsburg) who only had a couple of seasons of HS wrestling and took 2nd in New England as a senior.  I do believe that the likelihood of more immediate success is greater at the upper weights, where a gifted athlete might be able to close the gap faster than some lightweights.  Again, using anecdotal evidence, there was a 285 first-year wrestler who medaled at New Englands a few years back...and just this past weekend, one of the finalists at 220 (who was 3rd in MA) had only been wrestling for 2 months.