Sign in to follow this  
Swayz

Hypothetical Dual (2013 B10 Champs vs. 2003 Nat Champs)

Ok if you took the Big 10 individual champs from this year and put them against the 2003 National Champs of Division 1, how close would it be dual wise?

125 Jesse Delgado (ILL) vs. Travis Lee (Cornell)

133 Logan Stieber (OhSt) vs. Johnny Thompson (OSU)

141 Hunter Stieber (OhSt) vs. Teyon Ware (OU)

149 Dylan Ness (Minn) vs. Eric Larkin (AzSt)

157 Jason Welch (NW) vs. Ryan Bertin (Mich)

165 David Taylor (PnSt) vs. Matt Lackey (Ill)

174 Matt Brown (PnSt) vs. Robbie Waller (OU)

184 Ed Ruth (PnSt) vs. Jake Rosholt (OSU)

197 Quentin Wright (PnSt) Vs. Damion Hahn (Minn)

285 Tony Nelson (Minn) vs. Steve Mocco (Iowa)

I think Q vs. Hahn would be an interesting and exciting match up...as well as Delgado vs. Lee.

Id see it like this.

Delgado dec. Lee (Is that shot even stoppable now?)

Stieber dec. Thompson

Ware dec. Stieber

Larkin dec. Ness

Welch dec. Bertin (I think experience and style gets Welch this win vs. 03 Bertin)

Taylor maj Lackey (Sorry Matt :? )

Waller dec. Brown

Ruth dec. Rosholt (I honestly wouldn't be surprised by a major, but Ed with the win for sure)

Hahn dec. Q (this was a tough one)

Mocco dec. Nelson

Final I have at 16-15 B10 - on the back of a Taylor major. Obviously other bonus is possible, or none at all...but I think he is the most likely in the lineup on either side to score bonus.

Ok if you took the Big 10 individual champs from this year and put them against the 2003 National Champs of Division 1, how close would it be dual wise?

125 Jesse Delgado (ILL) vs. Travis Lee (Cornell)

133 Logan Stieber (OhSt) vs. Johnny Thompson (OSU)

141 Hunter Stieber (OhSt) vs. Teyon Ware (OU)

149 Dylan Ness (Minn) vs. Eric Larkin (AzSt)

157 Jason Welch (NW) vs. Ryan Bertin (Mich)

165 David Taylor (PnSt) vs. Matt Lackey (Ill)

174 Matt Brown (PnSt) vs. Robbie Waller (OU)

184 Ed Ruth (PnSt) vs. Jake Rosholt (OSU)

197 Quentin Wright (PnSt) Vs. Damion Hahn (Minn)

285 Tony Nelson (Minn) vs. Steve Mocco (Iowa)

125 - I got Lee on this one. Delgado's strength, is his strength and Lee always combated the really strong guys with his quickness and technique. I don't think it'd be a shutout, but I do believe that Lee's mat awareness and speed would earn him the W here..

133 - I won't play favoritism here, as I think this would be a good and exciting match. I will say though that if Steiber got himself out of position like he did with Ramos in the finals, Thompson would have nailed a least a 4 point if not a 5 point move on him. If you go to your back against Thompson, you WILL give up points, if not the fall. Thompson had some off days during his career, I can admit that. It'd be a good match.

141 - Ware's defense is just too much for Steiber. It'd be a 1-0, 2-1 match with Ware countering, yet not scoring on all of Steiber's shots.

149 - I don't think this would be pretty for Ness. His go-go-go mentality is fun to watch, and I hope it earns him more medals, but against Larkin it would make for an annihilation. Major decision for Larkin.

157 - I don't think Bertin would have any problem with Welch. About 3 to 4 take downs and a 6-2, 8-3 type score.

165 - Boy this one is hard to measure. I wanna go with Lackey, cause as you can tell I almost always give the nod to the older guys. Yet, I also want to say that Taylor's ability to score from about any position would give Lackey fits. Coin flipper on this one.

174 - I think Brown's strength would measure too much for Waller here. Waller's best hope would be that Brown couldn't get away from him, and that he'd be able to ride him out for a point. I say Brown would escape though, and that'd be the match maker.

184 - You know Ruth reminds me a lot of Phil Davis, in build, style and attitude. I thought Davis would beat Rosholt when they met in the finals years ago, but Rosholt damn near pinned him. As dominate as Davis is, I see him winning here, but Rosholt was one you just never bet against. This is a match that'd be very fun to see.

197 - let's start a campaign to get this to happen at this years Midlands!! I'd pay $$ for this.

HWT - The only guys who seem to be able to beat Mocco are those bigger and stronger than him. Nelson isn't either one of those. Mocco here.

You know your post really makes me loathe graduation. It keeps us from seeing some really interesting matches!

You know your post really makes me loathe graduation. It keeps us from seeing some really interesting matches!

Well on the bright side there are plenty of schools that don't graduate kids. :roll:

Well on the bright side there are plenty of schools that don't graduate kids. :roll:

:( Concurred.

You know, what a joy it would've been had RPW been able to not only survive but thrive. I'd really like it if a second shot could be taken at the idea, and see what some re-marketing and re-strategizing could do for us. We only get such a short period of time to watch our athletes compete at this sport. Such a short period of time.

I wonder if we had RPW and it was to last for a substantial amount of time, how long would one's career last? 5 years? 10 years?

You know heckuva an Idea. I have been inspired by what is going on with Teague's idea of the 5 weight classes, no time, first to 10 points idea , but do something a bit different instead of single elimination tournament:

12 weights: 121, 128, 136, 147, 152, 160, 168, 177, 187, 200, 238 and Unlimited

10 wrestlers max per weight with $12 entrance fee. 2 pools of 5, with 1,3,5,7,and 9th paid entries going into pool A and 2, 4,6, 8 and 10 into B. Wrestle 5 matches in day.

Eligible Wrestlers: Any wrestler that has qualified (key word being qualified) for state/national tournament or placed at high caliber tournament such as Fargo, Midlands, etc.

I've got a ton of former smaller division NCAA guys, NAIA and NJCAA guys interested this year (August 3) for doing an event. probably won't have enough to do tournament format, so I am going to pair em up and do an All Star "Giving Back to Schools" event. Goodwill donation clinic with all of the individuals, then pairing them up based on credentials and other things of that nature. I have had PA, MO, OK, KS, and IL former prep/college athletes said they would come out on the 3rd to compete and give back to the sport.