portajohn

Rule Changes

What are rule changes that you believe can make wrestling better and more entertaining

My List

1) All periods start in the neutral position. 

2) This way riding time is accumulated after Wrestler A has secured a takedown or after Wrester B  converts a reversal

3) Adopt a push out policy

4) At the end of regulation if the score is tied the wrestler with more riding time is rewarded the victory.

4) Overtime: In a scenario when the match is tied at the end of regulation and the opponents riding times are equal a sudden death period begins in neutral.  First takedown wins. Each period is 3 minutes w/a 15 second break in between.

5 minutes ago, GockeS said:

he did

he deleted it

i agree with him

starting all 3 periods in neutral it's no longer about being a complete wrestler but a takedown artist.

And? Why should a solid "top rider" be rewarded a start in that position when he didn't earn a takedown? I've never watched a UFC fight that started the 2nd round in the guard

Edited by portajohn

If a match goes to OT you should have to win by 2pts.

Either you get that Sudden death TD, escape twice, or escape and accumulate over a minute of riding time for the extra.

I've always found the current rideout system to be lackluster. This would also create amazing situations.

1) no

3) can you elaborate?  If it involves stalling, kindly kiss my grits

4) , 5) I'm for anything that ends the match at the end of regulation, anything is preferred over two people making a mutual decision to stop wrestling with time on the clock.

My own: tds are three points.

-2nd/3rd period no choice of neutral.

If you’re on top you may still let up your opponent at the start.

If you’re so bad you can’t go down or your opponent is that good on top they should be rewarded. No opting out.

-3 sets of 4-point near falls is a tech regardless of score differential. You’ve been on your back three times, TKO.

-Only eligible for riding time if you’ve earned a near fall count. Don’t need points, just a count.

-Earn riding time with no near-fall count, stall call added at the end of regulation.

-Top wrestler, 3 count below the waist, not 5.

-Top wrestler, 5 count for trapping the ankle.

5 hours ago, portajohn said:

What are rule changes that you believe can make wrestling better and more entertaining

My List

1) All periods start in the neutral position. 

2) This way riding time is accumulated after Wrestler A has secured a takedown or after Wrester B  converts a reversal

3) Adopt a push out policy

4) At the end of regulation if the score is tied the wrestler with more riding time is rewarded the victory.

4) Overtime: In a scenario when the match is tied at the end of regulation and the opponents riding times are equal a sudden death period begins in neutral.  First takedown wins. Each period is 3 minutes w/a 15 second break in between.

1) not sure I agree with this one - it may allow guys off the hook easy if they haven't properly trained for mat wrestling

2) I don't think I understand

3) definitely agree

4) the near impossibility of overtime could be interesting because you would see guys going as hard as possible at the end of regulation.  pretty cool idea I think.

4) also agree

37 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

--3 sets of 4-point near falls is a tech regardless of score differential. You’ve been on your back three times, TKO.

-Only eligible for riding time if you’ve earned a near fall count. Don’t need points, just a count.

-Earn riding time with no near-fall count, stall call added at the end of regulation.

-Top wrestler, 3 count below the waist, not 5.

-Top wrestler, 5 count for trapping the ankle.

These are all great ideas.

And I love the riding time eligibility on getting at least one swipe.  

Plus, that and the step out rule really prepares our guys for freestyle.  

2. Riding time only goes if you earned your way on top, a takedown or getting a reversal. Starting a period on top due to choice -not riding time.

Right?

Edited by D3UC157

1 minute ago, D3UC157 said:

2. Riding time only goes if you earned your way on top, a takedown or getting a reversal. Starting a period on top by choice -not riding time.

Right?

Correct, why should a wrestler collect riding time when he didn't earn the position?  If you want riding time then you have to have the skills to take your opponent down

6 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Correct, why should a wrestler collect riding time when he didn't earn the position?  If you want riding time then you have to have the skills to take your opponent down

I don't view it as an award for collecting, but rather, a punishment for the bottom man being unable to escape

I'm bothered by the equivalency of two escapes and a TD.  How about implementing a rule allowing top wrestler to choose neutral without surrendering a point? Or 3 pt TDs?  Or no escape pts at all but 1 pt for each 30 seconds of riding time?  

Reversals should be worth three points,  There's little incentive under the current structure to get them, since an escape by the bottom man makes it a neutral exchange as far as match tactics.

Definitely disagree with the "all neutral" idea.  Mat wrestling is an important part of wrestling, we just need to incentivize aggressive, offensive mat wrestling.  The argument that the top wrestler hasn't "earned" that position is arbitrary to me, since in neutral the better takedown guy hasn't "earned" it.  It's just how we've decided matches should start.  It's arbitrary.

16 hours ago, portajohn said:

And? Why should a solid "top rider" be rewarded a start in that position when he didn't earn a takedown? I've never watched a UFC fight that started the 2nd round in the guard

again 

this isn't the ufc

its not even the olympics

folkstyle wrestling is about control.

ufc is about knocking someone out or submitting... multiple ways to do that.

if i can control you in wrestling, that means im a good wrestler. if i can pin you...which wrestling is also about that means im a good wrestler.

takedowns can show a means of control...but thats not the only way

Edited by GockeS

51 minutes ago, GockeS said:

again 

this isn't the ufc

its not even the olympics

folkstyle wrestling is about control.

ufc is about knocking someone out or submitting... multiple ways to do that.

if i can control you in wrestling, that means im a good wrestler. if i can pin you...which wrestling is also about that means im a good wrestler.

takedowns can show a means of control...but thats not the only way

If folkstyle wrestling is about control then a push out rule is a no brainer.

I like 3 pt. takedown but then we couldn't yell   twooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I had a non-really wrestling fan attend the gridiron grapple in Iowa city before the football game and all he could say was WOW I'm sitting there and all of a sudden everyone gets up and yells twooooo he felt like the only one sitting, didn't know what was happing, lol he sure knows now and when I see him first thing out of his mouth, yes twoooooooooooooo lol

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

If folkstyle wrestling is about control then a push out rule is a no brainer.

so you really like iowa and their style of wrestling

but yeah, your argument makes logical sense... 

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

If it’s about control and you can’t stay on the mat you clearly aren’t in control. Doesn’t matter what singlet you have on.

i agree. 

see this is why i can't understand why ppl want a pushout. ppl gripe all the time about iowa pushing and nothing else.

yet they want them to also score a point from said wrestling style

I wonder if the better "folkstyle" solution is not a pure pushout point, but just making it automatically stalling on the guy going out.  5 pushouts is match termination for getting stalled out.

If there was a pushout, we would see dramatically less of it.  Look at Freestyle.