There were diplomatic boycotts of the 2022 Winter Olympics in China over Chinese human rights issues.  So it seems like Russia’s military operation in Ukraine could very well trigger repercussions in wrestling.  But at this point I’m not sure anybody knows what those repercussions will be.

In the near term, at the Yasar Dogu tournament, it’s certainly possible that Turkey will refuse to approve Russian and Belarusian athletes’ visa applications.

Edited by Katie

6 hours ago, 152lbs said:

Wrestling seems so unimportant right now

Isn't it always unimportant compared to so many things? Same is true of football (both kinds), basketball, hockey, baseball and track and field. The only sport that is always important in the grand scheme is probably curling.

People are acting like there have never been boycotts or wars before during wrestlings stint as an Olympic sport. This has happened many times, but before widespread social media. The quiet times are not always the norm.  Nothing completely disruptive has happened  (for now...)

30 minutes ago, HawkY said:

People are acting like there have never been boycotts or wars before during wrestlings stint as an Olympic sport. This has happened many times, but before widespread social media. The quiet times are not always the norm.  Nothing completely disruptive has happened  (for now...)

As I’m sure you know, the 1916, 1940, and 1944 Olympics were totally canceled due to war.

But at any rate, the world is more interconnected and interdependent now than it ever was before, so boycotts could become an ever increasing feature of diplomacy.  There have been boycotts before — including diplomatic boycotts at the recently concluded 2022 Winter Olympics — and there may be more and more aggressive boycotts to come.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

Edited by Katie

12 minutes ago, Katie said:

As I’m sure you know, the 1916, 1940, and 1944 Olympics were totally canceled due to war.

But at any rate, the world is more interconnected and interdependent now than it ever was before, so boycotts could become an ever increasing feature of diplomacy.  There have been boycotts before — including diplomatic boycotts at the recently concluded 2022 Winter Olympics — and there may be more and more aggressive boycotts to come.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

That is what I was referring to. A partial disruption is banning/boycott nations. Complete disruption is the World War periods. Things short of those have popped off many times before.

There won't be an olympics or world championships awarded to Russia any time soon.  Other than that, Americans wrestling in Yargyn and other Russian tournaments probably won't be possible moving forward. Then of course there's the impact on the Ukrainian team, but wrestling is the least of their concerns right now.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

18 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

There won't be an olympics or world championships awarded to Russia any time soon, not that there would have been anyway.  Other than that, Americans wrestling in Yargyn and other Russian tournaments probably won't be possible moving forward. Then of course there's the impact on the Ukrainian team, but wrestling is the least of their concerns right now.  

Agreed they won't have them for many years to come. I mean the last time they invaded Ukraine in 2014 they didn't get an Olympics in Sochi for like 4 years.

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Agreed they won't have them for many years to come. I mean the last time they invaded Ukraine in 2014 they didn't get an Olympics in Sochi for like 4 years.

Sochi was 2014 and the Crimean invasion happened a little under a week after the closing ceremony.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Sochi was 2014 and the Crimean invasion happened a little under a week after the closing ceremony.

Yes that was the bad joke. As I'm sure we have all seen ad nauseum, Russia likes to time its military offensives to the closing of winter olympics games.

5 hours ago, irani said:

It's meaningless.  FIFA is still allowing the Russian team to play under the name RFU.  They are proving to be just as weak as the IOC.  Poland, to their credit, has basically stated... we don't care what you call them - it's still Russia & we're not playing them.

In line with recommendations from the International Olympic Committee, FIFA on Sunday announced that no international competition would be played on Russian territory, with home games taking place at neutral sites and without spectators; the team will participate under the name "Football Union of Russia" (RFU) and not Russia; and the Russian flag will not be displayed and the anthem will not be played during competitions.

“Today’s FIFA decision is totally unacceptable,” Polish football federation president Cezary Kulesza tweeted. “We are not interested in participating in this game of appearances. Our stance remains intact: Polish National Team will NOT PLAY with Russia, no matter what the name of the team is.”

Edited by lu_alum

Just now, lu_alum said:

It's meaningless.  FIFA is still allowing the Russian team to play under the name RFU.  They are proving to be just as weak as the IOC.

I don't disagree, but I believe FIFA will change their minds. FWIW...FIFA is probably more corrupt than the IOC.

6 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I don't disagree, but I believe FIFA will change their minds. FWIW...FIFA is probably more corrupt than the IOC.

Things are about to get very interesting.

• The head of FIFA is close to Russia, and was awarded the freedom medal by Putin after the world cup in Moscow
  • FIFA just said Russia can compete, but not under the Russia name, no Russian anthem, no Russian home games
  • Sweden, Czeck Republic, and Poland are in the same bracket competing for one spot in the upcoming FIFA comes
    • All three countries have said that they will refuse to play Russia
    • FIFA will have to make a decision, call it a forfeit and let Russia qualify, automatically.  or ban Russia
    • The next match is scheduled in late March between Poland and Russia

Not letting Russia host events is so modest a sanction it doesn't even merit mention.  The real question is whether UWW will bar Russian athletes from competing in UWW sanctioned events.

That's where soccer is headed.  FIFA is cowardly, but as of right now, everyone playing Russia in a world cup qualifier is forfeiting.  If that stands, it means FIFA has to choose between letting Russia take a world cup spot by forfeit wins alone, and raises the question whether it'll let Russia *win* the world cup on forfeits. The more countries that refuse to play Russia, the more it forces FIFA's hand to choose between excluding a country and handing wins and championships to a pariah.  

If FIFA excludes Russia, there will be significant pressure on other international sport bodies, including UWW, to do the same. 

And if that happens, it has real repercussions at home for Russia.  Not hosting an event is one thing, but telling all the guys that their favorite teams in their favorite sports can't play anymore would make them furious and have a massive internal effect.  That's real pressure.  Some, presumably, would lash out in anger at the West, but you have to assume that a lot of it will be directed at Putin.  If he feels his grip on power slipping, then things start to change.

I've got to think that UWW would be one of the last dominoes to fall if we start seeing Russia get excluded like this.  And from a wrestling fan standpoint, it would make every year feel like the 1984 Olympics, which would be tragic.  But there are bigger things than wrestling, and I can't say I'd disagree if UWW and other organizations took that step.

19 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Did they ban the US from sporting events for invading Iraq? Remember the weapons of mass destruction hysteria?

9/11 was from Saudi Arabia. Did they face any sanctions?

How about bombing the hell out of Syria?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

i think the invasion of ukraine is evil and putin is a tyrant, but the self-righteousness of the american/western media over this is a little rich. america has been deposing democratically elected governments and invading sovereign nations all over the world for 70 years. maybe we should have some self-reflection now that the victim is on "our side" and understand that's what we've made countries feel like over and over again and stop doing it. nationalism is a cancer.

saw an incredible clip yesterday of a fox news anchor correctly saying "invading a sovereign nation is a war crime, right?" and then the camera cuts to condoleeza rice who is sitting next to her on the panel. incredible lol.