Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Anthony Valencia HEW?

Recommended Posts

What's is up with him this year?  He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of high school, 3x California state champ, 4x PAC-12 champ, All American in 2021.

Yet this year he's taken 4 losses already, getting majored by Wick and pinned by O'Toole.  His trajectory seems to be on a decline....is he injured or is it HEW?

It's notable he graduated high school in 2015 and I think he was old for his graduating class... I think he may be 25 years old already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What's is up with him this year?  He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of high school, 3x California state champ, 4x PAC-12 champ, All American in 2021.

Yet this year he's taken 4 losses already, getting majored by Wick and pinned by O'Toole.  His trajectory seems to be on a decline....is he injured or is it HEW?

It's notable he graduated high school in 2015 and I think he was old for his graduating class... I think he may be 25 years old already.

God, how I hate these kind of threads. The passive invitation to bash a kid for not living up to your lofty ideals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What's is up with him this year?  He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of high school, 3x California state champ, 4x PAC-12 champ, All American in 2021.

Yet this year he's taken 4 losses already, getting majored by Wick and pinned by O'Toole.  His trajectory seems to be on a decline....is he injured or is it HEW?

It's notable he graduated high school in 2015 and I think he was old for his graduating class... I think he may be 25 years old already.

Another thought.

Anthony Valencia, even after 4 loses this year, is better at wrestling than I will ever be at anything.

I am pretty sure the same is true for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Another thought.

Anthony Valencia, even after 4 loses this year, is better at wrestling than I will ever be at anything.

I am pretty sure the same is true for you.

I would say this is true for the majority of us posting here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

God, how I hate these kind of threads. The passive invitation to bash a kid for not living up to your lofty ideals.

D1 wrestling is as big time as our sport gets. Fans are entitled to say whatever is in their hearts. Let the man speak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I would say this is true for the majority of us posting here.

Amen.

I guess this post put me on tilt a bit because the intent is so malignant. It really bothers me.

I get that this guy has a shtick. He likes to stir the pot and do things like propose wild bets, then redefine the terms to back out just to see the reactions he can get. So what. Harmless fun. But this kind of post is just shi**y.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You must be new here.  HEW = Had Enough Wrestling.  In other words, burned out.

I'm not new here, but I don't read all the threads, and I didn't know what it meant either!  (60 years in the sport too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since high school, he's probably spent relatively modest amounts of his own money -- while obtaining multiple degrees, collecting a ton of cool experiences, making a bunch of friends, and earning All America honors.  Pretty glorious if you ask me.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Katie said:

Since high school, he's probably spent relatively modest amounts of his own money -- while obtaining multiple degrees, collecting a ton of cool experiences, making a bunch of friends, and earning All America honors.  Pretty glorious if you ask me.

except for all the embarassing losses while wrestling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

except for all the embarassing losses while wrestling.

Despite having lost college wrestling matches, he’s already a D1 All American with an A+ life.  I’m sure he’ll be fine. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Despite having lost college wrestling matches, he’s already a D1 All American with an A+ life.  I’m sure he’ll be fine. 

and it took a watered-down tourney for him to “earn” AA honors by placing 8th.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Katie said:

Despite having lost college wrestling matches, he’s already a D1 All American with an A+ life.  I’m sure he’ll be fine. 

These are responses I don’t understand.  While the bun frequently posts goofy stuff, it is certainly legitimate to discuss why such a high level athlete and top recruit failed to live up the the athletic expectations.

As to your comments, I hope he looks at his personal experiences as you describe because if his lone reason for attending college was a title he has fallen way short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These threads make me laugh. If you AA, your career isn’t remotely a failure, regardless of where you are subjectively ranked by undeniably flawed humans out of High School. NEWSFLASH:  DI wrestling is really fricking hard!
 

The guy is 111-29 and has wins over both Finalists from last season. He has won 7 matches at NCAA’s and has a legit chance to win 10 over 4 years. How many guys do you think have actually done that?  This is a career 99% fall short of. 
 

With that said, he has really done about as well as he should have been expected to do. Anthony was over ranked because of his freestyle accolades. Sadly, that didn’t translate to folk. Why?  Because he was a big move guy on his feet, but lacked DI level stamina and physicality. This gets exposed when he wrestles very physical wrestlers, especially on the mat, that can go really hard the entire match. 
 

It really isn’t about HEW at all. It is simply about being in a DI room for a very long time, having developmentally plateaued. Throw in a couple of rough injuries and you aren’t going to see him shockingly become the number 1 guy in the country when he has always been a 6-12 type guy…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...