Jimmy Cinnabon

Anthony Valencia HEW?

5 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

He was teched at nationals last season by O'Toole.  A couple of weeks ago he was tied 6-6 in the 3rd period when O'Toole cradled him up.  Not as 1-sided of a match as the pin might make it sound.

He was seriously hobbled by injury at NCAA's last year.  He probably shouldn't have even stepped on the mat against O'Toole and didn't against Amine in the 7th/8th match.  Not to say he would beat O'Toole anyway.  I just don't see him being able to wrestle the necessary pace for all 7 minutes.  But, this is a good point to show he can compete with anyone at the weight.  He just isn't built to go up against the very best at a very physical weight and win 5 in a row.

11 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'm not new here, but I don't read all the threads, and I didn't know what it meant either!  (60 years in the sport too)

That’s incredible just from this forum alone.  It’s used all the time here.

56 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

That’s incredible just from this forum alone.  It’s used all the time here.

Some of the older fellars don't really pay attention, let alone use, many of the common acronyms.  Hell, my dad thought until very recently that LOL mean "lots of love".  So, when most people were laughing at him, he thought people were madly in love with him!

Edited by MSU158

21 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Some of the older fellars don't really pay attention, let alone use, many of the common acronyms.  Hell, my dad thought until very recently that LOL mean "lots of love".  So, when most people were laughing at him, he thought people were madly in love with him!

Let's hope both were true.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

and he was probably happier for it.

I believe Valencia got hurt bad against Ethan Smith last year and toughed it out to AA status.

165 is top heavy but a 6 man show IMO:

O'Toole

Wick

Marinelli

Kharchla

Hamiti

Griffith (still think he's a contender despite how easy Wick has handled him this year) 

Then 7/8 have a ton of contenders IMO (can see someone not on the list below also sneaking on) 

Hall (has looked pretty good this year overall, got pinned by Weber in 47 seconds but also majored him)

Weber (made R12 last year and ran into O'Toole in the backside)

Valencia (think he has the best shot to upset one of the top guys since he can get hot, maybe he digs deep for his last tournament, he's put Griffith on his back the last 2 times they've wrestled)

Wentzel (not counting out a previous year finalist who can ride someone for days, only guy in college to beat Keegan O'Toole)

Ramirez (only guy who managed a win over the Top 6 but very inconsistent also)

Wittlake (don't think he AA's this year though with how he's looked, plus he just got hurt)

Hartman (I know he had a walk basically to the semis last year but he hasn't lost since Midlands 2.0)

9 hours ago, MSU158 said:

These threads make me laugh. If you AA, your career isn’t remotely a failure, regardless of where you are subjectively ranked by undeniably flawed humans out of High School. NEWSFLASH:  DI wrestling is really fricking hard!

The guy is 111-29 and has wins over both Finalists from last season. He has won 7 matches at NCAA’s and has a legit chance to win 10 over 4 years. How many guys do you think have actually done that?  This is a career 99% fall short of. 

With that said, he has really done about as well as he should have been expected to do. Anthony was over ranked because of his freestyle accolades. Sadly, that didn’t translate to folk. Why?  Because he was a big move guy on his feet, but lacked DI level stamina and physicality. This gets exposed when he wrestles very physical wrestlers, especially on the mat, that can go really hard the entire match. 

It really isn’t about HEW at all. It is simply about being in a DI room for a very long time, having developmentally plateaued. Throw in a couple of rough injuries and you aren’t going to see him shockingly become the number 1 guy in the country when he has always been a 6-12 type guy…

All great points about Anthony Valencia.  He has had a better career than over 90% of all Div. 1 wrestlers even if he never wrestles another match.  

Since no one has brought this up on the thread thus far, I think the other reason why he gets so much criticism here is the success of his brother Zahid.  They had similar accolades coming out of HS, and it doesn't make sense to some people how Zahid ended up fulfilling the expectations, while Anthony didn't. 

HEW - I thought that was a presidential cabinet post that used to exist - but got changed in the past few decades.

I know Anthony Valencia was hurt last year at Nationals - and when I saw him almost pin Griffith for his first loss EVER - he did not look HEW'ed.  

12 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

He was teched at nationals last season by O'Toole.  A couple of weeks ago he was tied 6-6 in the 3rd period when O'Toole cradled him up.  Not as 1-sided of a match as the pin might make it sound.

Valencia had him cradled in the second period when time ran out.