BoilerUp$

How often do champs go down a weight and win?

I see NCAA champs go up a weight class and win another title but don't remember any guys going down a weight and winning another title. Suriano has a chance to do that this year. What other wrestlers have gone down a weight and won another title?

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of his name, but Ben Peterson made the defending 190 lb champ drop a weight to win his second title from either Oklahoma or Oklahoma St. Rich Lawinger Wisconsin dropped from 150 to 142 for a NCAA championship. Mike Van Arsdale dropped from 177 to 167 for a NCAA title. Penn St Prescot dropped from 126 to 118 because of Terry Brands to win a title.

A little interwebs search showed a handful of three-timers in the 1930-1950s either went down or down then back up and won.

Wayne Martin, Oklahoma

1934, 135

1935, 145

1936, 134

David Arndt, Ok St.

1941-1942, 145

1946, 136

Myron Roderick, Ok St.
1954, 137

1955-1956, 130

William Nelson, UNI

1947, 165

1949-1950, 155

Greg Ruth Oklahoma appears to be the most recent (on the list i came across) 

1965, 167

1966, 160

15 hours ago, boconnell said:

Also not a champ but Louden Swain went down a weight and won.

Actually, I think Louden's coach challenged them putting him in the down position after the no TD call. We're still waiting on the video review.

4 hours ago, Fishbane said:

According to wrestling stats Sheets was 167 all 4 years.  http://www.wrestlingstats.com/okstate/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=361

Monday was 142 as a freshman and then 150 the next three seasons.

thanks. Rudis has an awesome doc about the two of them. there's something in there about flipping weights. maybe it was monday and someone else or maybe it was when they hit senior level.

only watched it once. but man...it might be the best wrestling doc i ever saw.

Drake Houdashelt of Missouri won a national title in 2015 at 149.  He previously wrestled 157.

As have several others. The OP is referring to those who dropped/won after winning at the higher weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk