Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Minnesota Wrestling: What's On The Horizon?

Reading the Intermat Recruiting Ranking Article, I was surprised to see that Minnesota was outside the top 10 for the third consecutive year (18th). They look really strong going into next year but with a team of Junior/Senior Starters, will we see a distinct drop off in the not so distant future? Also, considering J.Rob's health issues/age, what are the odds he retires during this possible transition phase?

I have always felt that MN recruiting classes fall under the radar due to the fact that high school talent in the area garners less attention than East Coast wrestlers. I could be wrong, but that is the impression that I get.

Going into next year with 3 seniors and 5 juniors, this next year will be their big recruiting class. We still have a lot of talent in the room that isn't starting. I

Here are some of the top tier guys waiting in the wings. I listed what their grade will be next year and also their overall ranking coming out of high school according to D1CW.

125-Sam Brancale (2012-74 overall)- RFR. Could be a solid starter either after Thorn or Dardanes leave, not sure if he would make AA

133-Judson Preskitt (2013-120 overall) FR. Comes from WY Sem. don't know much about him. After Dardanes plural leave he may find a spot in the line up.

141-MN recruited Dakota Trom (2012-79 overall), but he is currently enrolled at a JUCO. My guess is he transfers in after next season.

149-Jake Short (2013-18 overall, was as high as 7, but lost a couple all star matches and ranking dropped)-FR. I presume he will take over after Ness and be a 3 year starter

157-Brandon Kingsley (2012-37 overall) RFR. He could potentially start over Danny Zilverberg this year. He struggled with some injuries last season, but still overall had a good redshirt season. Whenever he ends up starting he will do well.

165- Dylan Reel (2012-89 overall) RFR- He had a very good redshirt season last year and even had a win over starter Yohn. I haven't seen him wrestle in person, but others who have are very excited about him.

174- Nick Wanzek (2013-23 overall) FR The coaches and wrestlers are really excited about him. He will sit behind Storley for a year unless Storley goes to 84 for his senior season.

184- Brett Pfarr (2012-171 overall) RFR. He will take over for Steinhaus and he will be good. Much like Steinhaus he will far surpass his ranking coming out of high school.

197-We have two more years of Schiller, plus there are some really good big guys coming out of MN in the next couple years that they will hopefully land atleast one of them.

285- Michael Kroells (2012-22 overall) He has looked awesome at all the open tournaments I saw him wrestle in. He is undersized, but so was Tony Nelson when he first stepped on campus. Another year of lifting and wrestling with Nelson every day and he will be ready. He will take over for Tony and be a 3 year starter and continue the MN heavyweight dominance IMO.

I think the Gophers recruit 125-141 really hard this season, but overall we have good depth in place.

IMO, Minnesota almost always outperforms their recruiting rankings, maybe even more than that of Okla. St., Iowa, or Ohio State. I agree with others that the East Coast schools get more attention, but Minny flys under the radar when it comes to recruiting.

Going into next year with 3 seniors and 5 juniors, this next year will be their big recruiting class. We still have a lot of talent in the room that isn't starting. I

Here are some of the top tier guys waiting in the wings. I listed what their grade will be next year and also their overall ranking coming out of high school according to D1CW.

125-Sam Brancale (2012-74 overall)- RFR. Could be a solid starter either after Thorn or Dardanes leave, not sure if he would make AA

133-Judson Preskitt (2013-120 overall) FR. Comes from WY Sem. don't know much about him. After Dardanes plural leave he may find a spot in the line up.

141-MN recruited Dakota Trom (2012-79 overall), but he is currently enrolled at a JUCO. My guess is he transfers in after next season.

149-Jake Short (2013-18 overall, was as high as 7, but lost a couple all star matches and ranking dropped)-FR. I presume he will take over after Ness and be a 3 year starter

157-Brandon Kingsley (2012-37 overall) RFR. He could potentially start over Danny Zilverberg this year. He struggled with some injuries last season, but still overall had a good redshirt season. Whenever he ends up starting he will do well.

165- Dylan Reel (2012-89 overall) RFR- He had a very good redshirt season last year and even had a win over starter Yohn. I haven't seen him wrestle in person, but others who have are very excited about him.

174- Nick Wanzek (2013-23 overall) FR The coaches and wrestlers are really excited about him. He will sit behind Storley for a year unless Storley goes to 84 for his senior season.

184- Brett Pfarr (2012-171 overall) RFR. He will take over for Steinhaus and he will be good. Much like Steinhaus he will far surpass his ranking coming out of high school.

197-We have two more years of Schiller, plus there are some really good big guys coming out of MN in the next couple years that they will hopefully land atleast one of them.

285- Michael Kroells (2012-22 overall) He has looked awesome at all the open tournaments I saw him wrestle in. He is undersized, but so was Tony Nelson when he first stepped on campus. Another year of lifting and wrestling with Nelson every day and he will be ready. He will take over for Tony and be a 3 year starter and continue the MN heavyweight dominance IMO.

I think the Gophers recruit 125-141 really hard this season, but overall we have good depth in place.

Totally agree with this assessment. The upperweight backups and redshirts are very underrated at this point. The future at 125-141 is a little shakey, as you mentioned, but they do have Tommy Thorn (Sr. next year) commited, and he will fill one of those weights.

Next year - Minny will vie for the title. Extremely loaded.

Intermediate term - lots of high level AA's at upper weights, probably get another Hwt stud.

Long term/J Rob retires - ?? who knows, but given their past success, don't think they'll slip down much.