Uwwdoc

UWW makes statement-not inviting Russian athletes or officials to international competition.

Alongside Belarussian athletes and officials. All international events in these countries this year also cancelled.

Mad and sad times in all aspects.

Unitedworldwrestling.org has more.

Edited by Uwwdoc

In this deplorable situation, the Bureau has decided that no wrestlers or officials belonging to the UWW affiliated and associated federations in Russia and Belarus shall be, with immediate effect, invited or allowed to participate in international competitions in the UWW calendar.

https://uww.org/article/united-world-wrestlings-statement-conflict-ukraine?fbclid=IwAR1yBBATbpE8c7yvyqwF__tpMGYdpJO_OeNiZTlIhvrR_phcDFf-Z5qtN7s

Edited by lu_alum

The full UWW statement mentions a few factors behind its decision to ban all Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials from competitions this year:

• Preserve the safety of all athletes.
  • Preserve the integrity and fairness of all competitions
  • Reciprocity for all athletes prevented from traveling due to the situation (the war in Ukraine)
  • Align with IOC's recommendation to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials
  • UWW also acknowledged messages from stakeholders and members

UWW has also banned all international competitions in Russia and Belarus this year.  So far, worlds in Russia next year (2023) are not affected.

Between the country sponsored doping, the bold face lies, and what they are doing in Ukraine, I’m glad the world sporting community is taking a stand and saying enough!!

I do hope that sport will be a way to build bridges again once the Russian war on Ukraine is no more.  I am worried that there are very little options for how this might reasonably resolve quickly though.

One option is that the Russian people rise up and make their government actually listen to them.  I can hope and dream.

Edited by nom

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Disgraceful.

At least now no one can say anything to Iran about "politicising" sports. 

Nobody is refusing to acknowledge the existence of Russia. Nobody is saying wrestlers should refuse to compete against Russians. What is happening is that Russia is being punished for their actions on many fronts, by many sporting bodies.

That’s not politicizing sports-it’s acknowledging that sports aren’t feasible sometimes. 

I do also agree with the sentiment though that these medals will now be viewed (rightfully so) with a grain of salt. So it’s a shame this is happening, but if UWW were to do nothing, I guess that would be worse.

It is sad to see the people of Russia, the majority of which want nothing to do with this regime or their actions, paying the hefty price they are and will continue to pay, for those actions.  I have a few friends over there and have not been able to reach them to this point, (up until this morning heard back from one who had studied in Israel, and went back).  Their people have been cut off from the world's social, financial, and other platforms.  

BUT......for years the world has allowed and fueled this current Russian regime's idea that they can do whatever the hell they want.  The olympic sports world a major contributor to that.  This is happening because Putin believes, and has been led to believe by the world, that if he says its his and he wants it for the taking, he can do whatever he wants and needs to do to take it.  So the sanctions, all of them, while horrible for the people, are justified and necessary to turn this around.........talking about more than just the current conflict in Ukraine.  

This is about isolating Russia in every conceivable way. It’s a small step compared with things like economic sanctions and air flight restrictions but the hope is to turn the people of Russia so completely against Putin for what he is doing to them, that he’s left no choice but to step back. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:16 AM, The Genius said:

Disgraceful.

At least now no one can say anything to Iran about "politicising" sports. 

So you mean to tell me that Ukrainian athletes, coaches and officials are to stand side by side with the Russian delegation, after the Russian head coach(and I am sure some athletes) have been vocal(in favor) of Russia invading Ukraine?  Seriously, think about it.   I am glad to see UWW  siding with FIFA, the IOC, IJF and others.  Time to teach a lesson.  

after watching the video, im becoming more inclined to support individual athletes b/c of the idea that if i do something wrong i will be disappeard

just like the chinese woman tennis player...

and perhaps this guy in the video... i bet he is never seen again

16 hours ago, rod_frufit said:

So you mean to tell me that Ukrainian athletes, coaches and officials are to stand side by side with the Russian delegation, after the Russian head coach(and I am sure some athletes) have been vocal(in favor) of Russia invading Ukraine?  Seriously, think about it.   I am glad to see UWW  siding with FIFA, the IOC, IJF and others.  Time to teach a lesson.  

do you fanatics hear yourselves? no politics in sport didn't last long lol, luckily I was always the one calling out the bull**** when it's used against Iran and others. glad to see I was proved right. 

35 minutes ago, The Genius said:

do you fanatics hear yourselves? no politics in sport didn't last long lol, luckily I was always the one calling out the bull**** when it's used against Iran and others. glad to see I was proved right. 

You only call it out when it’s used against Iran, but not when Iran gets political.

You can’t claim to be the voice of reason and pretend that Iran doesn’t pull the same nonesense.

17 hours ago, rod_frufit said:

i dont disagree, but do you ever wonder what other choice the coach has? 

i mean , yes he can refuse... but his career is basically over...

yes we can all say that he should... but come on... its not the same here as there 

Edited by GockeS

3 hours ago, GockeS said:

after watching the video, im becoming more inclined to support individual athletes b/c of the idea that if i do something wrong i will be disappeard

just like the chinese woman tennis player...

and perhaps this guy in the video... i bet he is never seen again

I agree that the athletes are not at fault. I hope they all find a country whose flag they can compete under. 

51 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Genius level logic right here. What actions against Iran are political? Nobody is directing athletes to refuse to compete against Russian athletes-they are saying the federation isn’t welcome in the competition. The US boycott of the world championships in Iran was for security reasons, not political. 

On 3/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, nom said:

Between the country sponsored doping, the bold face lies, and what they are doing in Ukraine, I’m glad the world sporting community is taking a stand and saying enough!!

I do hope that sport will be a way to build bridges again once the Russian war on Ukraine is no more.  I am worried that there are very little options for how this might reasonably resolve quickly though.

One option is that the Russian people rise up and make their government actually listen to them.  I can hope and dream.

I agree with this.  People in America, unlike Russia, can all have their own opinions.  However, even our fractured and neutered government stands as one on this.  So do our NATO and other Allies, even the EU.

Further, this one involves nuclear issues.  As Nom infers, you want sanctions lifted and sport resumed, rise up.  Anyone opposing all these sanctions, including sport, is out of touch with just about every civilized country.

For all of Trump’s odd statements, I never worried about nuclear problems.  Others may have. I get it.  But Putin was talking nuclear before the invasion and just took over the largest nuclear plant in Europe.  I’m not smart enough to know where and when this ends but I don’t like where it is at now.

Our wrestlers are much more competitive on the world stage than in 84 (and I thought 80 was not the right decision under those circumstances).  I see no less value in the medals now vs. before.  If the Russian wrestlers want us they now how to get to us.