Sign in to follow this  
D3UC157

Getting loud at NCAAs

In another thread someone mentioned the crowd getting loud in matches.. i.e.

Perry beats Hendricks. Rhon’s comeback pin over Lambrect. Gadsen pins Snyder. Moisey sticks Gilman.

What have been some of the loudest crowd moments at past NCAAs?

One of the things I love about wrestling is how it can me so quiet until something happens. It's not like football where people just scream the whole time, fans are too tense and wrapped up in the drama to distract themselves by randomly yelling. But when something big happens it's as loud and crazy as anything you'll see.

26 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

The roof blew off the building when Moisey pinned Gilman. 

Right? That was my first in-person NCAAs and my first round. I just figured stuff like that happened all the time. I've been to all NCAAs since then and haven't seen that big of a crowd reaction.

I don't know about in terms of decibels, but this has to be one of the most exciting moments in NCAA wrestling tournament history.  Last match of the entire event, defending world champion against 2X defending NCAA champion.  Sold out crowd at MSG.  Very rarely does a hyped up match live up to expectations, but this one surpassed them all.  

Here's a description of the noise level during the Owings-Gable match (from a Mark Palmer InterMat Rewind article):

First period: Right from the start, Larry Owings pressed the action in a way that wasn't typical of Dan Gable opponents, who usually took their time feeling out their undefeated rival, and wrestled with caution, fearful of making a mistake that would get them pinned. The Husky's aggressiveness fired up an already excited capacity crowd. More than one report has used the word "deafening" to describe the sound level in the hall; referee Pascal Perri described the noise as "comparable to Niagara Falls during the spring thaw." Various reports indicate that neither wrestler could hear Perri's whistle, and that he had to shout instructions to them, even though they were standing within a couple feet of the official.

As you may imagine, it only got louder as the match continued and in its aftermath.  Palmer described the scene on the podium as follows: 

After the 150-pound finals (which Grant won), medals were presented to the top six placers in the 142 weight class who had earned All-American honors. As he was about to be presented with his second-place medal, Dan Gable, whose chin had been on his chest, slowly raised his head, to a standing ovation that lasted at least a full minute (some reports indicate it was two minutes; Ken Kraft is quoted in A Season on the Mat that the ovation went on for five minutes).

Here is a clip of Gable just before he raised his head in response to the ovation.  Note Larry Owings applauding his opponent.

Dan Gable Part 4 - "They Came To See Dan Gable Win Again." Dan, Gable, Larry, Owings, Wrestling, Match GIF

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

46 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't know about in terms of decibels, but this has to be one of the most exciting moments in NCAA wrestling tournament history.  Last match of the entire event, defending world champion against 2X defending NCAA champion.  Sold out crowd at MSG.  Very rarely does a hyped up match live up to expectations, but this one surpassed them all.  

Extraordinary stuff, couldn't have been higher level for the reasons you nailed.  But not super loud, nothing at that tournament was, weirdly -- and there were some great super action matches, including Nickal-Martin I, particularly when they locked up and then went flying and it surprised everyone when it was 6 for Martin.  Also Garrett sticking Brewer.

I think the loudest I've heard were Nickal-Martin II, Joseph-IMar I, and, considering there were so many mats going, Conel sticking Moore.  

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Picc pinning Lee was loader so you don't even win by cheating.  

I have no idea what I'm talking about

GIA might have twice the capacity of Hershey, but something about these videos suggests a lot more passion in the DeSanto version :P

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

GIA might have twice the capacity of Hershey, but something about these videos suggests a lot more passion in the DeSanto version :P

Desanto/Lee doesn't count.
Desanto/Lee was back in the cave man days, before man had mastered the art of stalling defense from neutral.  Today's wrestlers who aren't interested in engaging from neutral against a Cro-Magnon like Desanto have perfected moonwalking defense to win 2-1 or 3-2 matches without resorting to barbaric tactics like shooting initiating action.  Today's stalling strategy makes wrestling much more entertaining for everyone.

Edited by BerniePragle

3 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

Desanto/Lee doesn't count.
Desanto/Lee was back in the cave man days, before man had mastered the art of stalling defense from neutral.  Today's wrestlers who aren't interested in engaging from neutral against a Cro-Magnon like Desanto have perfected moonwalking defense to win 2-1 or 3-2 matches without resorting to barbaric tactics like shooting initiating action.  Today's stalling strategy makes wrestling much more entertaining for everyone.

Let's also not forget that as the story goes, all those fans were cheering against Spencer Lee and not for Austin DeSanto. At least that was the story as reported in some precincts. Not here in PA, but in some places. 

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Wait a minute, I thought Lee wrestled all 4/7 years for Iowa, whats with the singlet, shirely you aren't talking high school wrestling?  ;)

I have no idea what I'm talking about