moodybooty

I predict Austin DeSanto wins Big 10s, handily

24 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

oxymoron alert (composed ADS)

I really appreciated seeing Austin hold it together while Lucas taunted mid-match, and appreciated seeing the sportsmanship at the end even more. You don't think he seemed composed?

26 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

I really appreciated seeing Austin hold it together while Lucas taunted mid-match, and appreciated seeing the sportsmanship at the end even more. You don't think he seemed composed?

I thought he did a good job....Byrd appeared to be stirring the pot during the match.....trying to get Austin going.

only listened to the matches and I don't know Lucas... the forum comments were contradictory as to who did what when and as far as I know the audio didn't register who said what at the end.   so maybe he's a new man?  we shall see. 

28 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

I couldn't tell what was said at the end, after they got a bit chippy.  It looked like they were both respectful, but Byrd still looked a bit wild-eyed, so I wasn't sure.  And FWIW, ADS has been a good sport for pretty much the last two years now, even when his opponents get in his face.  He sometimes erupts for a hot second, but always calms himself down immediately, and IMO, goes out of his way to meaningfully shake hands, etc.  

I was cheering hard for Byrd, but anyone that doesn't respect what De Santo brings to NCAA wrestling should probably re-evaluate their interest in the sport.

39 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I couldn't tell what was said at the end, after they got a bit chippy.  It looked like they were both respectful, but Byrd still looked a bit wild-eyed, so I wasn't sure.  And FWIW, ADS has been a good sport for pretty much the last two years now, even when his opponents get in his face.  He sometimes erupts for a hot second, but always calms himself down immediately, and IMO, goes out of his way to meaningfully shake hands, etc.  

I was cheering hard for Byrd, but anyone that doesn't respect  appreciate what De Santo brings to NCAA wrestling should probably re-evaluate their interest in the sport.

Good post - but maybe replace "respect" with "appreciate" and I'm 100% with you.

Not that respect is out of reach, just that it isn't something that is required at this point. A lot of history here.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

Good post - but maybe replace "respect" with "appreciate" and I'm 100% with you.
Not that respect is out of reach, just that it isn't something that is required at this point. A lot of history here.

Agree. People liked to take pot shots at the Brands brothers and how they handled DeSanto in the early years after the transfer, but I’ve got to admit ADS has noticeably matured over the past couple years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Probably semantics to a degree, but to clarify, I used 'respect' to mean 'recognize that the way he wrestles is good for the sport'.

I feel similarly about Byrd. 

Everybody talks about constantly getting to their offense, and how they're always looking to put up points, but few actually wrestle with that mentality.  Given the risks associated with being offensive, that's understandable, but when so many shut it down and try to coast with a 1-0 lead in the second, the few that nearly always wrestle at 100% for seven minutes really stand out.

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

I was cheering hard for Byrd, but anyone that doesn't respect what De Santo brings to NCAA wrestling should probably re-evaluate their interest in the sport.

I actually suspect that there is no one DeSanto respects more in the weight class than Byrd.  No one else can match the intensity and that includes Fix and RBY who just happen to be better wrestlers 

If DeSanto loses a closely (maybe even controversial) contested match to RBY in the last seconds and doesn't go ballistic, I will concede that he has it together.  (Too easy to give hugs when you win.)

Let's all hope that that happens so I don't have to re-evaluate my interest in NCAA wrestling!  (eyeroll)

I've mentioned this before but Byrd has just steadily improved. Gas tank, wrestling and he has an attitude(started last season) which was obvious last night. He did everything he could to get DeSanto to engage him in extracurriculars. DeSanto waited until he won and then responded. He was calm, cool and collected the entire seven minutes.

20 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I've mentioned this before but Byrd has just steadily improved. Gas tank, wrestling and he has an attitude(started last season) which was obvious last night. He did everything he could to get DeSanto to engage him in extracurriculars. DeSanto waited until he won and then responded. He was calm, cool and collected the entire seven minutes.

It was a great match! My second favorite of the semis behind the pin at 149, probably. Seemed like a pretty fun atmosphere in the arena, and like you said, Byrd has been wrestling with an edge this year. 

How do you think it would go if the referees had not stepped between them ? The referees all know to be ready at the end of his matches. I'm serious what happens if the referees do not step in at he end of the match?

2 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

How do you think it would go if the referees had not stepped between them ? The referees all know to be ready at the end of his matches. I'm serious what happens if the referees do not step in at he end of the match?

What do you think? DeSanto was going to attack him. LOL

Byrd chirped and chipped the entire match. DeSanto made zero respones. At the final whistle, DeSanto told him about it. It was a good match.

Isn't that a slight exaggeration. I just have a problem when referees have to step in between the wrestlers at the end of matches to prevent whatever is going to happen. It is the referee  job during the match to control the chirping or the chippiness. It is also the coaches job to keep it under control.

27 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Isn't that a slight exaggeration.

Paul...your entire post is an exaggeration...

44 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

46 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

What do you think? DeSanto was going to attack him. LOL

Byrd chirped and chipped the entire match. DeSanto made zero respones. At the final whistle, DeSanto told him about it. It was a good match.

If the entire match is Byrd waving to the pro Iowa crowd noise after getting the mid 2nd period reversal then you are right. 

If the entire match is Byrd waving to the pro Iowa crowd noise after getting the mid 2nd period reversal then you are right. 

During a return to center on an earlier exchange, he also mocked the manner in which ADS quickly shows two hands to indicate he wants to cut his opponent to go neutral.

36 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

During a return to center on an earlier exchange, he also mocked the manner in which ADS quickly shows two hands to indicate he wants to cut his opponent to go neutral.

Also the end of the 1st. I just choose not to argue with TBar. He's rarely wrong.

Byrd was doing his best all match to get Desanto sauced up, Desanto did the exact right thing to wait until the end and then you let them hear about it back. Byrd is my kind of dude, lol, fun style both on the mat and demeanor. This is entertainment and Byrd appears to be HERE FOR IT. Gomez another one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk