Sign in to follow this  
BigApple

Wrestlers With the Biggest Fuel Tanks

We've all seen wrestlers that just never seem to get tired in a match.

I watched Tommy Evans in practice for whole season when he was in his mid 40s, he could wear out any of his wrestlers. Dan Gable was that way,i was only able to see him wrestle in college one time, as I was in the Army for almost all of his career.

Some guys have a seemingly natural endurance, just like some like Danny Hodge are born strong.

Aaron Simpson who I've known since he was a sophomore in HS ran was a three sport star in high school, running track.

Bill Lam was considered to be by Tommy Evans his best conditioned wrestler. Bill had a full track scholarship to Kansas University, which has long been a powerhouse. He turned it down to walkon at OU to wrestle.

So who do you guys remember.

My first thought was Jack Cuvo. Googled him and found this info:

3x PIAA state champ, 139-2 HS record, 991 TDs in 141 matches = approx. 7 per match (no TF rule then)

2x NCAA Div 1 champ for E. Stroudsburg, 45-0 as a senior with 383 TDs = approx. 8.5 per match

Standout HS cross-country and long distance track. Not sure if he won state titles, but he set some district/regional records.

2x NCAA Div 2 All-American in cross-country (fall sport). I do not think he ran track (spring sport) in college.

^^Yes, Jack Cuvo - incredible aerobic conditioning. From Easton, PA. 3X PIAA champ, 1983-85 at 98, 98 and 105 pounds. Cuvo had 991 TD's in high school, went 139-2, going 35-0 as senior in high school. Attended East Stroud Univ and there was a 3X EIWA champ and two-time NCAA champ at 118 (1988 and 1989). Finished fifth in 1987. Jack had 383 TD's his senior year (1989) at ESU, and reportedly was only taken down 8 times. Went 45-0 his sr year, finishing with 89 straight wins and college career W/L of 164-7. Cuvo was a Div II AA in cross country. Cuvo could really "turn on the jets" during third periods of his bouts. Fantastic conditioning level.

"Gas tank" in wrestling is not about who has the best aerobic conditioning. It's about who has the best anaerobic conditioning. Obviously, one needs a strong aerobic base to build substantial anaerobic capacity, but in the end, what makes someone prevail on conditioning in wrestling is the ability to do very hard work for intense bursts, recover quickly during brief periods of relative (key word) inactivity, and then pour it on again and again when the other guy is in severe oxygen debt and is moving at half speed due to lactic acid buildup.

This is why when you cut 10%+ of your bodyweight, you can still perform aerobic work at a decent pace but your performance in a wrestling match suffers so badly. Your body's ability to take on near maximal workloads for brief amounts of time plummets when you dehydrate over 10% of your bodyweight.

Some examples of guys who sucked at running but had incredible tanks are the Brands brothers (they admitted themselves how much they hated running and how bad they were at it) and Lincoln McIlravy (running was his least favorite conditioning activity).

Also very important to maximizing the tank is technique, which leads to a highly economic style. Guys who are relaxed throughout the match and have exceptional technique will always consume much less energy than guys who are tense or often get stuck out of position and have to fight out of it. Guys with highly economic styles include John Smith, Cael Sanderson (looked like he was drilling most of the time), and Stephen Abas, among the best technical wrestlers college wrestling has ever seen. How many times in their careers were they struggling to suck a leg in or burning energy trying to power through a move? Not that many.

As far as raw physical work capacity, I'm surprised that McIlravy and the Brands have not been mentioned yet. I've never seen anyone consistently wrestle as hard all seven minutes as those three right from the first whistle. Rabid animals.

^^Yes, Jack Cuvo - incredible aerobic conditioning. From Easton, PA. 3X PIAA champ, 1983-85 at 98, 98 and 105 pounds. Cuvo had 991 TD's in high school, went 139-2, going 35-0 as senior in high school. Attended East Stroud Univ and there was a 3X EIWA champ and two-time NCAA champ at 118 (1988 and 1989). Finished fifth in 1987. Jack had 383 TD's his senior year (1989) at ESU, and reportedly was only taken down 8 times. Went 45-0 his sr year, finishing with 89 straight wins and college career W/L of 164-7. Cuvo was a Div II AA in cross country. Cuvo could really "turn on the jets" during third periods of his bouts. Fantastic conditioning level.

Is this the same Cuvo you are referring to?

I had a teammate in college who once told me that he had never been tired in a wrestling match. Craziest thing I ever heard, mainly because, knowing him, I knew he was telling the truth. The matches just were not long enough. He was about a .500 or slightly better wrestler for his career.

From what I saw at the NCAA tournament there is no way the Alton brothers belong in this conversation.

Seriously. These guys don't seem to be able to go a full 7

You guys say seven, ill give them 5.5 before they are gassed