moodybooty

Kevin Jackson - Coach of the Year?

Michigan Wrestling's had an embarrassing amount of resources without much to show for it -- and until Kevin Jackson moved back to his home state to be an assistant coach in Ann Arbor, it looked like we were going to see much of the same. I'm one for a feel-good story, so I've been rooting all year for them to win NCAAs at home in Detroit, much like I was hoping for Penn State to put it all together at home in Philly a decade ago. Of course, a lot happens between conference championship weekend and NCAAs, but it's tough to see them losing in two weeks. They're looking great at Big 10s.

Really glad that Coach Jackson was able to bring the success he was seeing with the developmental program at USAW to the college level. Feels like he was the missing piece in making something really big finally blossom at Michigan. Hoping for a solid March for the Wolverines!

1 hour ago, moodybooty said:

Michigan Wrestling's had an embarrassing amount of resources without much to show for it -- and until Kevin Jackson moved back to his home state to be an assistant coach in Ann Arbor, it looked like we were going to see much of the same. I'm one for a feel-good story, so I've been rooting all year for them to win NCAAs at home in Detroit, much like I was hoping for Penn State to put it all together at home in Philly a decade ago. Of course, a lot happens between conference championship weekend and NCAAs, but it's tough to see them losing in two weeks. They're looking great at Big 10s.

Really glad that Coach Jackson was able to bring the success he was seeing with the developmental program at USAW to the college level. Feels like he was the missing piece in making something really big finally blossom at Michigan. Hoping for a solid March for the Wolverines!

Well put. KJ has done an amazing job there. I agree that he's a huge part of Michigan's climb back to national prominence. 

1 hour ago, moodybooty said:

Small bracket compression is a thing. I don't think they have what it takes to win in a large bracket.

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Small bracket compression is a thing. I don't think they have what it takes to win in a large bracket.

This. Michigan is having an incredible Big10 Tournament. I think they will win it. But this won't repeat in two weeks. 

Suriano will win Big10, but his NCAA place is 1 to 3 so he can only do worse. 

Ragusin probably can't get into the 3/4 match at NCAAs.

Micic in current form definitely can't get into the 3/4 match at NCAAs and decent chance he doesn't even AA. 

Storr won't qualify.

Lewan can't make an NCAA final. Will he even AA? 

Amine 165 can't make an NCAA final. Probably a 5/6 match at best. 

Massa probably can't make an NCAA final. 3/4 match? 

Amine 184 is great. Probably about same result at NCAAs. 

Brucki's will beat Panola and wrestle for 3rd at Big10s today, but his placement only goes down at NCAAs. 

Parris will get about same result at NCAAs. 

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Just now, TBar1977 said:

This. Michigan is having an incredible Big10 Tournament. I think they will win it. But this won't repeat in two weeks. 

Micic in current form definitely can't get into the 3/4 match at NCAAs and decent chance he doesn't even AA. 

Storr won't qualify.

Brucki's will beat Panola and wrestle for 3rd at Big10s today, but his placement only goes down at NCAAs. 

Devil's advocate here, but they will likely have 8 guys seedednto AA, yes?  Several with legitimate chances at titles/finals depending on draw.

They might do pretty well.

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This is as bad a take as the 'Ethan Smith hasn't improved since arriving in Columbus' bit.

All these pieces were clearly in place before Jackson arrived in Michigan and I guarantee you he would tell you that himself.

Of course he would.  He is a modest guy.

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Storr won't qualify.

That much confidence that Bartlett will beat Storr, Tbar?

57 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That's fair. But do you think the Penn State or Iowa that we're seeing will benefit more from bigger brackets compared to Michigan? Feel like they both have much more up in the air than Michigan, and it's a lot harder to put together a good tournament over three days than just two.

45 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Storr won't qualify.

The same could be said for both Penn State and Iowa. This is a stupid post. 

What this Big10s has done is help a few on the fence Michigan guys have a slightly better seeding path to make it close to the blood round.  They still have to figure it out from there.  They will be plenty of new and somewhat unknown land mines in their way after the opening NCAA session.  I’m just happy it’s not a automatic 1 or 2 team lock for Big10 or NCAAs this year. 

Edited by MadMardigain

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

That much confidence that Bartlett will beat Storr, Tbar?

Does he qualify with a win? I didn't even check. And no, my confidence is not high in that match. Can't wait to see Bartlett at his natural weight next year. 

9 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

The same could be said for both Penn State and Iowa. This is a stupid post. 

Not really, I actually agree with most of Tbar's post other than the Storr comment.

2 of Michigan's 5 finalists have a slim to none chance of making an NCAA final, and I'd give Massa an outside chance.

4 of PSU's 5 finalists will very likely be in the finals and are all the current favorites to win.  The other may also be the current favorite to win but anything can happen at 197.

For Iowa, Eierman, Marinelli and Cassioppi can absolutely make the NCAA finals, and I'd give Desanto an outside chance.  They also have 2 guys not in the B10 finals that have a shot at making the NCAA finals in Warner and Kemerer (if somewhat healthy for Kemerer).

3 hours ago, moodybooty said:

I agree that he's a great addition to the staff, but how long has he even been in Ann Arbor....did he even start the season with them????  I just looked it up....it was announced Oct. 13th ...so he's been there maybe 3 months....Is he a great addition, absolutely, but COY...no.  The whole staff is great, put together by Joe McFarland, now retired, the Head Coach, Sean Bormet and his assistants, Josh Churella, David Bolyard, KJ, and don't forget the CKWC coach, who's been a great addition, and is more behind the scenes....Sergei Belaglozov.

So you think it is equally likely Penn State's five finalists today falter at NCAAs as UM's five finalists today? Ok. 
Agree. No one is really deep this year. All pretty top heavy. So then you look to see who has the best top. Penn State by a long ways. You then look to see who may outperform seeds and have a good tournament. Anyone watched NCAA wrestling the last 10 years? Penn State will win it in Detroit, won't be that close.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

....and apparently all his wrestlers showed up on time for weigh in

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not really, I actually agree with most of Tbar's post other than the Storr comment.

2 of Michigan's 5 finalists have a slim to none chance of making an NCAA final, and I'd give Massa an outside chance.

4 of PSU's 5 finalists will very likely be in the finals and are all the current favorites to win.  The other may also be the current favorite to win but anything can happen at 197.

For Iowa, Eierman, Marinelli and Cassioppi can absolutely make the NCAA finals, and I'd give Desanto an outside chance.  They also have 2 guys not in the B10 finals that have a shot at making the NCAA finals in Warner and Kemerer (if somewhat healthy for Kemerer).

Exactly. UM can win the team race today and still likely take 3rd in two weeks.

That's fair. But do you think the Penn State or Iowa that we're seeing will benefit more from bigger brackets compared to Michigan? Feel like they both have much more up in the air than Michigan, and it's a lot harder to put together a good tournament over three days than just two.

When I have time tonight or tomorrow I will put together some analysis based on recent history. @BerniePragle and I just finished inputting the last 10 years of brackets. I will see if I can answer your question.