Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

Gatsalov vs Cormier

You are right how time flies! Who can forget that heartbreaking loss? Up to that match Cormier looked unstoppable.

And to think up to that match Gatsalov was a relative nobody. That match basically put Gatsalov on the map!

Before that point Gatsalov was a two time European champion, won gold at two world cups, and won Russian nationals where he had been a runner up in the past. He also had been a Yarygin finalist, if not winner. He had beaten multiple world and Olympic medalists at two weights and held wins over Eui Jae Moon and Cael Sanderson. He was regularly discussed on these very boards in the years before his Olympic appearance.

He was also a Junior world champion

He was about as far from a nobody as one can come

That was a statement steeped in the deepest ignorance

He was about as accomplished as Gadisov now but you see Gadisov lost to Herbert and since then hasn't pan out on the World scene for various reasons I will not go into detail here. That match against Cormier at Olympics was deciding for Gatsalov to cement his spot on the World scene or retreat into an army of Russian hopefuls.European Champion is nice but multiple World/Olympic champion is much better. Its like Opan Sat is good but he is no Kudukhov.

You said he was a relative nobody which is laughable

And you can make no rational argument that he was not already vastly more accomplished than Cormier at 96kg at that point. In 2004, before that Olympics, at 96kg he had already won probably the second third and 4th toughest tournaments in the world: Russian Nationals, Yarigin, and Europeans. At the European championships in 2003 he beat Eldar Kurtanidze, who was then the reigning world champion and would win it again later that year.

Gatsalov's Olympic victory in 2004 was expected. His only real envisionable competition was an aging Heidari, Kurtanidze over whom he had already beaten, and maybe the Uzbek he faced in the finals. Just like Otarsultanov's was in 2012, past world teams or not.

Cormier up to that point had never won a tournament in the Eastern hemisphere, he beaten nobody of consequence at those Olympics leading up to that match, and his most meaningful career win to that point had come against Wilfredo Morales of Cuba.

You need to start paying attention to little things called facts.

In 2004 Cormier did destroy everyone but he didn't beat a top 5 guy. He stormed through the 04 nationals and utterly killed Hartung. I remember hearing everyone saying he had passed Cael. Then he wrestled his first three matches at the Olympics and techs everyone until Gatsalov. I was one who thought he has progressed and would over power the smaller Gatsalov-really anticipated that match becasue Cael I though beat Gatsalov afew months earlier and thought Cormier was going to take it to him. But Gatsalov controlled him and went on to win 5 world titles. I then never though Cormier has passed Cael.

All I am saying is this match was a defining one for both wrestlers.

Why? Gatsalov already had several bigger wins coming into that match. It was a step forward for Cormier to dominate US Open/OTT and place 4th at the Olympics, which he did not match until 2007, but this particular loss is not career defining.

All I am saying is this match was a defining one for both wrestlers.

at the start of the thread, you couldn't if Gatsalov and Cormier ever wrestled each other. now you're saying that when they did wrestled it defined both their careers.

so i guess that means you didn't know much about either wrestler until just now?

For Gatsalov it was a defining match because he proved he can make finals at Olympics at 96kg. Sometimes nerves get even the best guys so it had more to do with proving himself than beating Cormier. However, Cormier looked super hot that year and even PRyan here says he thought Cormier would win so not everybody thought Gatsalov would win hands down.

Cormier learned in that match that even if he destroys every American and most International wrestlers it might not be enough to make World or Olympic finals beacause Russia can always come up with a wrestler even better than him.

For Gatsalov it was a defining match because he proved he can make finals at Olympics at 96kg. Sometimes nerves get even the best guys so it had more to do with proving himself than beating Cormier. However, Cormier looked super hot that year and even PRyan here says he thought Cormier would win so not everybody thought Gatsalov would win hands down.

Cormier learned in that match that even if he destroys every American and most International wrestlers it might not be enough to make World or Olympic finals beacause Russia can always come up with a wrestler even better than him.

Oh yeah, because both were in the semi finals at Yarigin the year before, Cormier got fourth, Gatsalov 1st.

I'm sure Gatsalov's skills were totally unknown to Cormier at that point though.

But congrats, you completed your transparent troll attempt, even though it reveals vast ignorance on your part.