Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Concussions Post Protocol

It seems obvious that Julian Ramirez is not the same wrestler since his concussion. Of course he has been cleared to wrestle and I am not doubting that the clearance was proper. But is it common that the effects of a concussion linger even after an athlete has been cleared?

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

It seems obvious that Julian Ramirez is not the same wrestler since his concussion. Of course he has been cleared to wrestle and I am not doubting that the clearance was proper. But is it common that the effects of a concussion linger even after an athlete has been cleared?

That certainly seemed to be the case for Brady Berge, leading to his retirement.

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That certainly seemed to be the case for Brady Berge, leading to his retirement.

Yeah, and didn't US Olympian in greco (Deitchler, maybe) retire due to repeated concussions? In those cases, were they not cleared to wrestle and retired for that reason. Or did they have a choice?

As far as I know, Ramirez has not had multiple concussions, but I really don't know.

Edited by NJDan

Potent causes of action:

Sue the school and doctors for letting him wrestle when he shouldn't;

Sue the school and doctors for not letting him wrestle when he could;

Sue the doctors for overlooking complications which, if addressed, would ameliorate the predicament, eg, depression secondary to the injury, necessitating treatment;

Sue the doctors and drug companies for side effects of any medication which could have adversely affected performance;

So many potential opportunities for the scum we call lawyers.

4 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Potent causes of action:

Sue the school and doctors for letting him wrestle when he shouldn't;

Sue the school and doctors for not letting him wrestle when he could;

Sue the doctors for overlooking complications which, if addressed, would ameliorate the predicament, eg, depression secondary to the injury, necessitating treatment;

Sue the doctors and drug companies for side effects of any medication which could have adversely affected performance;

So many potential opportunities for the scum we call lawyers.

No one mentioned suing anybody. I said something close the the opposite, that I assumed his clearance was legit. I guess you think no one should ever be sued or wrestlers should never sue. Or what is that you do think? Are you a malpracticing doctor?

My junior year leaving 7 on 7 football, I was sitting in back middle. My friend made a left in a Honda Accord and a 70 year old woman accelerated into us at close to 45 in a huge Cadillac. Our car did  180 and then we hit another car and I elbowed my teammate’s face into the glass. My teammate sat out of sports for 15 months. One match into wrestling he was re-concussed. He never played sports again. I had to testify at this insurance hearing which was super awkward because my good friend was the driver and didn’t want his auto rates permanently impaired and my teammate clearly suffered major medical needs. I still don’t know how the woman accelerating into a turning car didn’t suffer any financial consequences. 

On 3/7/2022 at 4:59 AM, NJDan said:

Happened to me after I had three concussions in the span of a year - one of which was severe (unconscious for more than fifteen minutes).  My overall athletic ability was significantly hindered.  Also happiness, intelligence, social harmony, sleep quality, etc