Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Does anyone have a chance vs. Howe (apart from Burroughs)?

After seeing him toy with Storley at 174, does anyone think that Dake or Taylor can give Howe a real match at 163.

I know Dake wrestled Howe pretty tough two years ago (after a season wrestling at 149) so I'd give him a chance, I guess. But I'm not sure.

And what about Taylor?

You also have to remember that Howe beat up Storley at 79 kg - not 74. I was also impressed with the way Howe took it to Storley, but another 11 pounds can take a heavy toll on one's ability to perform.

You also have to remember that Howe beat up Storley at 79 kg - not 74. I was also impressed with the way Howe took it to Storley, but another 11 pounds can take a heavy toll on one's ability to perform.

So it then took a toll on Howe's ability to preform??? God if thats the case I'm scared to see his performance level at 74 then.

So it then took a toll on Howe's ability to preform??? God if thats the case I'm scared to see his performance level at 74 then.

Um...? Howe will have to lose another (approx.) 11 pounds as compared to the weight he made at University's for the WTT, which will probably take some kind of toll on his ability to perform. That's what was intended by my statement.

I wouldn't really put much stock into the weight cut for Howe. He said he can make 74kg just fine. He wrestled up a weight since this was his first tournament back since the trials last year and he just wanted to wrestle and not have to worry about weight. Plus with day before weigh-ins, 11lbs won't be a big deal for Howe

I think Dake may have the best chance of the field against Howe, so it will be very interesting (and maybe consequential) how the seeds turn out. Howe has consistently beat the Paulsons and I think he's a bad match-up for Taylor. But depending on seeds I could see any of these four wrestlers making the finals. Howe has to be the favorite though.

I think Howe would big boy Dake and Taylor, Taylor more so. People get wrapped up in Dake's 4 titles, which is an incredible feat, and then think he is automatically ready to challenge Burroughs for the spot. I think Dake struggles with both Howe and Paulson. I pick one of those two to wrestle Burroughs.

Whether or not Dake will actually beat any of these guys is unknowable, but the title of this thread asks whether he has a chance or not. You'd have to be so biased as to be delusional to think Dake does not have a chance against Howe. He has improved very substantially - both physically and technically - since the last time they met, and it was close then.

I too think Howe is a monster, but I still like Dake to beat Howe in a close one if they meet.

As stated earlier does anyone have a chance? Yes, several have a chance I don't think anyone can objectively say Dake Taylor or Paulson have no shot. Despite the outcome and others opinion Taylor and Dake are not all that far apart in ability I personally think either one could beat Howe will they we will find out but either one could.

I have it finishing JB, Magicman, Kid dynamite,Howe, Paulson.

As stated earlier does anyone have a chance? Yes, several have a chance I don't think anyone can objectively say Dake Taylor or Paulson have no shot. Despite the outcome and others opinion Taylor and Dake are not all that far apart in ability I personally think either one could beat Howe will they we will find out but either one could.

I have it finishing JB, Magicman, Kid dynamite,Howe, Paulson.

Get off Taylor's nuts. He has no chance to make it to face JB with Howe, Dake, Paulson

I know you want it but you will have to wait on that to happen.

Its kind of funny how in the college forum, everyone overhypes Dake & Taylor vis-a-vis Howe, and in the international forum, several posters seem to think they don't even belong in the conversation as Howe. Not much objectivity around here.

I think the three are very close, along with Paulson. Howe was clearly superior a year ago at OTTs, but the X factor is that while Dake and Taylor have spent the last year making each other better, Howe has been sidelined with an injury. That's a long time, and there's got to be residual rust. I give little significance to his win in the 79kg class last month, as there was no competition there to test him. Beating Storley is nice, but Storley isn't elite yet -- he has no senior level accomplishments, and even in college he got teched 17-1 by Ruth last year.

I remember watching Dake vs. Howe a couple years ago, when Dake was up a weight, and was surprised at how well Dake matched up against him despite the size difference. With the strides he's made and Howe's layoff, I like Dake over Howe this time around.

Taylor could surprise, and he had a good showing at the U.S. Open but he seems to struggle against guys with bull strength and good positioning -- which makes Howe, Dake and Paulson a tough match-up. But his technique is top-tier, so you never know.

My guess is Dake-Howe-Paulson-DT. And no way I'm picking against JB against anyone.

The wild card may be the shot clock. Will be interesting to see if Dake can or will change his style or potentially fall victim to the shot clock. I think Dake has the ability to score so he may not have much of a problem if he is put on the shot clock. Will be interesting to see how he adapts or if he will be hurt by it.

Yeah the shot clock could be a concern but one thing about Dake is when he pulls the trigger and goes he usually scores. Plus, his explosive lifts and quick hips could see him picking up a couple three pointers if people try to shoot on him just to make him look less offensive in an attempt to get on the shot clock. Dake seems to be the type of person that adjusts his style well to whatever rules he is wrestling under so I would expect him to be more offensive in the opening minutes.