Jump to content
BSUBroncoDynasty

Ferrari - trouble brewing at Okie State?

Recommended Posts

Does seem like a bad move by a teammate.  But is he a captain?  If so - it is an ugly signal to your team.  Hoping someone can better explain why he would choose to do what he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I don't think all good wrestling teams need to be all Ra-Ra to be honest.  It's not a team sport.  My best years I hated my drill partners and tried to take it out on him on a daily basis

This!  I am not saying I agree with Ford Focus, heck half of the time I can't stand his antics as it is very douche and Jersey Shore'ish, but people thinking he is a terrible person for what he did...well I just don't see it.  Again, I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't want my teammates to do it, but this isn't middle school where you are teaching team aspect and life lesson's...these are grown ass adults.  I'd say it is more of a bad look for Oklahoma State's program than it is for the little compact car.  Coach should have VERY clear expectations for the team and the teams behavior.  If there is no expectation that he be with the team, and he makes a bad decision and goes to Vegas to party (I'm jealous), then it is what it is and you can't throw the idiot under the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if he is the team captain or not.  But he is a national champ and the face of your program.  No question he should have been at Big 12's with his team.  That is of course unless John Smith gave him his blessing to go party in Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Idk why it's an issue, but I feel like rumor mongering. So, here goes:  Ferrari was in Vegas at the same time his current team was being embarrassed. Some of the kids that were there -- wrestling -- looked like they didn't want to be there ... or even on the team. Maybe the coaches, too. Why do I say this? Something about the fact that Whitlake, Stika, and others weren't wearing identifiable OSU team gear during warm up rubbed me the wrong way. (Gfeller did the same thing last year when he had checked out)Same thing with John Smith not cornering his student athletes on Sunday morning. Usually not a big deal ... but the team is in free fall. The whole thing just felt off. 

 

Re couldn't travel with the team: Tulsa is a lot closer than Vegas.

AJ doing something short sighted alone would be concerning but that plus things like this (not first time I’ve heard similar things) has me much more worried about tOSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that was not a starter in college on a regular basis,   I think it doesn't help morale when the more elite guys don't do the small things the others do.  Supporting team in nearby Tulsa,  rolling up mats,  etc.   Wondering if Masvidal's team is donating money to OSU?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I am not a fan of Ferrari, whatsoever. 

That being said, where's the thread about Spencer Lee?  He wasn't at his conference tournament either.  Shouldn't a team captain be there rooting on the boys if he himself isn't competing?

Iowa didn't finish 4th in the Big 12 ... behind OU. Iowa didn't have 2 AAs go 0-2 and another AA wrestle below his already poor seed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jackwebster said:

Iowa didn't finish 4th in the Big 12 ... behind OU. Iowa didn't have 2 AAs go 0-2 and another AA wrestle below his already poor seed. 

You're right.  They finished 3rd in the Big 10 and forfeited 40% of their placement matches. Perhaps if Spencer were there he could've given his teammates the necessary confidence to actually compete.  

No skin off my back, though. Forfeiting a chance to win a Big 10 title is just the new Iowa Way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jp157 said:

AJ doing something short sighted alone would be concerning but that plus things like this (not first time I’ve heard similar things) has me much more worried about tOSU

True, passing three cars on a two-lane highway and causing a head on collision much more troubling than a trip to Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Iowa didn't finish 4th in the Big 12 ... behind OU. Iowa didn't have 2 AAs go 0-2 and another AA wrestle below his already poor seed. 

So you think everything should go wonderful wrestling first time after an ACL and cracked rib/injury.  At least they went out and wrestled, what did the Iowa guys do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ionel said:

So you think everything should go wonderful wrestling first time after an ACL and cracked rib/injury.  At least they went out and wrestled, what did the Iowa guys do?

No, the results are understandable. What I don't get is why the team didn't seem to have each others' backs. On Sunday  morning, Mastro is out there battling while clearly injured. Wrestling tough. John Smith isn't in his corner. I know that coaches delegate this sort of thing, and it's usually not a big deal. But, in this situation it seems off. If I'm Mastro and I'm battling for the team when I could just MFF (really, how much would his seed change if he qualified with the 6 spot instead of a 3rd? His team has no chance to win the tournament. He's wrestling for pride.),  I would want the G.O.A.T. ,  the dude I travelled half way across the country to wrestle for in my corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I am not a fan of Ferrari, whatsoever. 

That being said, where's the thread about Spencer Lee?  He wasn't at his conference tournament either.  Shouldn't a team captain be there rooting on the boys if he himself isn't competing?

I somehow doubt that Spencer Lee was in Vegas this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

No, the results are understandable. What I don't get is why the team didn't seem to have each others' backs. On Sunday  morning, Mastro is out there battling while clearly injured. Wrestling tough. John Smith isn't in his corner. I know that coaches delegate this sort of thing, and it's usually not a big deal. But, in this situation it seems off. If I'm Mastro and I'm battling for the team when I could just MFF (really, how much would his seed change if he qualified with the 6 spot instead of a 3rd? His team has no chance to win the tournament. He's wrestling for pride.),  I would want the G.O.A.T. ,  the dude I travelled half way across the country to wrestle for in my corner.

Most all teams figure out coaching assignments before the tournament.  Mastro is "dinged" up a bit, he's figuring out how to wrestle thu it, next week or so of rest might help but MFF would not help him figure it out.  Everyone is dinged up a bit now, some guys are actually injured.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Most all teams figure out coaching assignments before the tournament.  Mastro is "dinged" up a bit, he's figuring out how to wrestle thu it, next week or so of rest might help but MFF would not help him figure it out.  Everyone is dinged up a bit now, some guys are actually injured.  

Ok. I hope you are right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting aside the moral obligation to his team and responsibility to set a good example.....wouldn't he just want to be there?

These are his buddies, people he trains with and spends countless hours hanging out with (I would assume), and they all love wrestling. In what world is Vegas and hanging out with an MMA guy more fun than going to a college wrestling conference championship? (And I'm not being sarcastic - we're all supposedly wrestling people, so this comparison should be a no-brainer.) It should be something he's looking forward to.

I'm going to Detroit next weekend, I'm obviously not competing, and I'm looking forward to this trip more than any trip I have planned this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

No, the results are understandable. What I don't get is why the team didn't seem to have each others' backs. On Sunday  morning, Mastro is out there battling while clearly injured. Wrestling tough. John Smith isn't in his corner. I know that coaches delegate this sort of thing, and it's usually not a big deal. But, in this situation it seems off. If I'm Mastro and I'm battling for the team when I could just MFF (really, how much would his seed change if he qualified with the 6 spot instead of a 3rd? His team has no chance to win the tournament. He's wrestling for pride.),  I would want the G.O.A.T. ,  the dude I travelled half way across the country to wrestle for in my corner.

Can I assume Zack Espo was in his corner? Given the Blair connection, I expect he's the reason he went there as much as Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devil's advocate for the sake of stirring the pot: how many starters get the opportunity to go on spring break? Zero. Why WOULDN'T Ferrari take advantage of what is likely to be his only free spring break during his time in college?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Setting aside the moral obligation to his team and responsibility to set a good example.....wouldn't he just want to be there?

These are his buddies, people he trains with and spends countless hours hanging out with (I would assume), and they all love wrestling. In what world is Vegas and hanging out with an MMA guy more fun than going to a college wrestling conference championship? (And I'm not being sarcastic - we're all supposedly wrestling people, so this comparison should be a no-brainer.) It should be something he's looking forward to.

I'm going to Detroit next weekend, I'm obviously not competing, and I'm looking forward to this trip more than any trip I have planned this year.

Agreed Fletcher!  I personally don't understand why he wouldn't want to be there for his buddies and his team and as a fan of wrestling...even if it is Vegas.  But I'm also not going to judge him as a person since I have never met the guy, or know his reason's, the circumstances behind it, what the expectations are, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jp157 said:

AJ doing something short sighted alone would be concerning but that plus things like this (not first time I’ve heard similar things) has me much more worried about tOSU

What does this mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...