Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Should Iowa make an offer to JB?

The Brands brothers have done tremendously well, and I don't blame the Hawks if they stick with them.  They would have likely won the team title in 2020, before NCAAs were canceled, and then they won NCAAs last year.  There are also good sentimental reasons for sticking with the Brands brothers, since they were Hawkeye wrestlers themselves. In short, they have done everything right and deserve a lot of praise.

Nevertheless, is it time for a fresh perspective in Iowa City? They've got a big and excited fan base. They've got great facilities.  They've got a women's team with elite recruits about to start up (which adds to the culture). They've got an RTC. Why not JB to the mix? He could potentially turn the Hawkeyes into an absolute juggernaut.

1 minute ago, Katie said:

The Brands brothers have done tremendously well, and I don't blame the Hawks if they stick with them.  They would have likely won the team title in 2020, before NCAAs were canceled, and then they won NCAAs last year.  There are also good sentimental reasons for sticking with the Brands brothers, since they were Hawkeye wrestlers themselves. In short, they have done everything right and deserve a lot of praise.

Nevertheless, is it time for a fresh perspective in Iowa City? They've got a big and excited fan base. They've got great facilities.  They've got a women's team with elite recruits about to start up (which adds to the culture). They've got an RTC. Why not JB to the mix? He could potentially turn the Hawkeyes into an absolute juggernaut.

One thing Jordan Burroughs said in the most gentlemanly way possible (I suppose that last part was redundant) is that he hates folkstyle.

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

One thing Jordan Burroughs said in the most gentlemanly way possible (I suppose that last part was redundant) is that he hates folkstyle.

Anyone else noticed that every since knownothing won that sig bet with me he has become a wealth of wrestling knowledge overwhelming us with all sorts of intellectual information and vast quantities of tableau data.  :)

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I will never understand why programs only hire their "guys" as head or assistant coaches.  I think you always need a fresh perspective especially when your program starts to look a little stale which is starting at Iowa and is definitely happening at Oklahoma State/Ohio State.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I believe Spencer Lee is the heir apparent to the Brands Brothers. 

Sounds good in theory, but Metcalf, DSJ, Evans, McDonough, and Dennis are all popular Hawkeyes with actual coaching experience. Tony Ramos would be a solid choice but it's unclear where he left things with Iowa and the fanbase. I assume he would be welcomed with open arms but there's no telling in this age of media drama.

1 minute ago, Better Call Stall said:

Sounds good in theory, but Metcalf, DSJ, Evans, McDonough, and Dennis are all popular Hawkeyes with actual coaching experience. Tony Ramos would be a solid choice but it's unclear where he left things with Iowa and the fanbase. I assume he would be welcomed with open arms but there's no telling in this age of media drama.

Spencer is going to be Iowa's only 4x national champion and if he can get those knees working again, will also have international accolades.  He is the next head coach.

Question on JB.  You always hear he hates folkstyle or doesn't want to coach college.  Does he have something lined up with USAW?  The reason I ask, the money is about to dry up as a competitor, what is his next step?

3 minutes ago, Better Call Stall said:

None of those guys are Spencer Lee.  The only person more worshipped by Hawkeyes is Dan Gable.  I'm not exaggerating.  If Spencer Lee says he wants to coach at the college level Iowa will be the first one to call him.

Burroughs said on Joe Rogan that he wants to be the example of how you can be a superstar wrestler but not have to move into coaching or MMA as a career path. Give it a listen. It is great. I think that interview answers your question.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

None of those guys are Spencer Lee.  The only person more worshipped by Hawkeyes is Dan Gable.  I'm not exaggerating.  If Spencer Lee says he wants to coach at the college level Iowa will be the first one to call him.

Why do you say so many stupid things

17 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Burroughs said on Joe Rogan that he wants to be the example of how you can be a superstar wrestler but not have to move into coaching or MMA as a career path. Give it a listen. It is great. I think that interview answers your question.

Did he explain how he was going to pull that off? Not many other revenue streams in wrestling after competing is over other than coaching in some form or fashion.

18 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

What does he plan to do when he’s done competing? Podcaster and part-time color commentator?

4 hours ago, Boompa said:

I will never understand why programs only hire their "guys" as head or assistant coaches.  I think you always need a fresh perspective especially when your program starts to look a little stale which is starting at Iowa and is definitely happening at Oklahoma State/Ohio State.

It happens in other sports too.  Look at North Carolina basketball.  Every coach since Dean Smith has had UNC ties.  They are no longer a power house like they used to be.  Is Iowa headed down this path?  Is OK St.?  Maybe.

5 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Did he explain how he was going to pull that off? Not many other revenue streams in wrestling after competing is over other than coaching in some form or fashion.

He hasn’t given specifics, that I’ve heard at least, but he’s talked about his return ‘home’ is to make his mark there and raise his family there. He will have all the opportunity he wants with PRTC. And there will be plenty, plenty of opportunities for him to bring in some income. In a number of different ways 

6 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

It happens in other sports too.  Look at North Carolina basketball.  Every coach since Dean Smith has had UNC ties.  They are no longer a power house like they used to be.  Is Iowa headed down this path?  Is OK St.?  Maybe.

Michigan

Here’s an idea that JB could potentially pitch to tv networks.

He could do a Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) type thing, except with wrestling. Of course the success of the show would depend on how entertaining and compelling he is, and not on the wrestling stories.

But I bet we would love the wrestling stories.  Imagine JB in Mongolia or Turkey or Cuba or wherever.  And if there are no visa issues, he could go to Iran where I assume he’d be treated like a star.  

Edited by Katie

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

Here’s an idea that JB could potentially pitch to tv networks.

He could do a Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) type thing, except with wrestling. Of course the success of the show would depend on how entertaining and compelling he is, and not on the wrestling stories.

But I bet we would love the wrestling stories.  Imagine JB in Mongolia or Turkey or Cuba or wherever.  And if there are no visa issues, he could go to Iran where I assume he’d be treated like a star.  

Count me in as a customer for this show idea 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You think the Hawkeyes are going to turn down Spencer Lee because Derek St. John wants to be head coach?

Yes, I believe Iowa's Athletics Director and Board of Regents would hire a qualified head coach with actual coaching experience before handing the job over to Spencer Lee. You think if TnT unexpectedly quit next month and Spencer said he'd take the job, they'd give it to him over Metcalf or M*? Don't be stupid.

13 hours ago, Better Call Stall said:

Yes, I believe Iowa's Athletics Director and Board of Regents would hire a qualified head coach with actual coaching experience before handing the job over to Spencer Lee. You think if TnT unexpectedly quit next month and Spencer said he'd take the job, they'd give it to him over Metcalf or M*? Don't be stupid.

I think they might honestly (outside of the fact that Lee is planning to wrestle next season).   I also think they’d hire Lee over Burroughs who has barely coached also.