Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Should Iowa make an offer to JB?

14 hours ago, Katie said:

Here’s an idea that JB could potentially pitch to tv networks.

He could do a Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) type thing, except with wrestling. Of course the success of the show would depend on how entertaining and compelling he is, and not on the wrestling stories.

But I bet we would love the wrestling stories.  Imagine JB in Mongolia or Turkey or Cuba or wherever.  And if there are no visa issues, he could go to Iran where I assume he’d be treated like a star.  

Could be good if well done. But if you have any familiarity with television, you know that cooking and eating draws a lot more viewers than does wrestling. Also, Bourdain was an established author as well as a chef.

14 hours ago, Katie said:

He could do a Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) type thing, except with wrestling. Of course the success of the show would depend on how entertaining and compelling he is, and not on the wrestling stories.

But I bet we would love the wrestling stories.  Imagine JB in Mongolia or Turkey or Cuba or wherever.  And if there are no visa issues, he could go to Iran where I assume he’d be treated like a star.  

There was a guy who did this with various fighting styles and martial arts. Really cool show,  I will see if I can find a clip....I think he may have been a wrestler, but I am on my first cup of coffee so I don't think everything is firing just yet.

1 minute ago, JBluegill133 said:

There was a guy who did this with various fighting styles and martial arts. Really cool show,  I will see if I can find a clip....I think he may have been a wrestler, but I am on my first cup of coffee so I don't think everything is firing just yet.

I think this is it.

Human Weapon

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1083163/

15 hours ago, Better Call Stall said:

Yes, I believe Iowa's Athletics Director and Board of Regents would hire a qualified head coach with actual coaching experience before handing the job over to Spencer Lee. You think if TnT unexpectedly quit next month and Spencer said he'd take the job, they'd give it to him over Metcalf or M*? Don't be stupid.

It's Spencer Lee's job if he wants it. He will transition in. The lesson of ISU losing Gable is very fresh in Iowa. 

15 hours ago, Katie said:

The travel channel did a show like this a while ago with Dhani Jones who played in the NFL for a while.  Wasn't wrestling specific, but did have a couple of wrestling episodes (in Sweden and Senegal, if I remember right).

20 hours ago, Boompa said:

I will never understand why programs only hire their "guys" as head or assistant coaches.  I think you always need a fresh perspective especially when your program starts to look a little stale which is starting at Iowa and is definitely happening at Oklahoma State/Ohio State.

I assume when you talk about Ohio State and their guys, you are talking about the assistant coaches and not Tom Ryan (Iowa guy).  But I agree, Tom Ryan needs to go, he is too interested in developing the "man" and not the wrestler. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

One thing Jordan Burroughs said in the most gentlemanly way possible (I suppose that last part was redundant) is that he hates folkstyle.

This.  100%.  He'll go the entrepreneur/private club route, be a media ambassador, and obviously have some connections to college programs/RTC's, but I don't see him as an NCAA HC, ever.

I want to be VERY clear that I do not mean this in the racially loaded way (ie. "well spoken"): JB is incredibly articulate, carries himself well and oozes charisma.  He ought to have a job for life as being the face of USAW, even after he's done competing.  If he weren't 5'7" with gnarly ears, he's the type of athlete I could see crossing over into Hollywood.  I also see him opening his gym and it quickly expanding into a network of gyms in the Northeast, ala Ben Askren in Wisconsin who now has like 4 gyms with a network of coaches on his payroll.  Who wouldn't want to wrestle for team JB?

Edited by Konquest

I don't mean this to sound bad against JB, as he's iconic in USA Wrestling. But what could he possibly offer as a coach in both freestyle and folkstyle? His "technique " isn't quite as an elite Wrestler, per se. His explosiveness and freak athleticism is not the most teachable attribute.

Was he an amazing top wrestler in Folkstyle? How about his hand fighting? Did he turn well?

In free, how was his par terre? How was his technique when not allowed space? Did he even have an ankle pick? A HC? How well could he finish if it wasn't his infamous blast?

I just don't understand the possibility of him being an elite coach. Granted, he'll get recruits no matter where he goes, if he decides to. I just don't see the way he dominated to translation as an elite coach. 

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don't mean this to sound bad against JB, as he's iconic in USA Wrestling. But what could he possibly offer as a coach in both freestyle and folkstyle? His "technique " isn't quite as an elite Wrestler, per se. His explosiveness and freak athleticism is not the most teachable attribute.

Was he an amazing top wrestler in Folkstyle? How about his hand fighting? Did he turn well?

In free, how was his par terre? How was his technique when not allowed space? Did he even have an ankle pick? A HC? How well could he finish if it wasn't his infamous blast?

I just don't understand the possibility of him being an elite coach. Granted, he'll get recruits no matter where he goes, if he decides to. I just don't see the way he dominated to translation as an elite coach. 

If you’re a Hodge winner and a 6x world-level champ, you’re technique, understanding of strategy, and understanding of timing is going to be off the charts, particularly when compared with college-level talent. (He even won two world titles with serious injuries, which likely means he had to reformulate his entire approach in order to win.)

What you’re saying is comparable to saying Steph Curry just makes tons of three pointers, how could he possibly coach college kids.  

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

Is this a joke?  How many JB matches have you watched the last 5 years?  How about his hand fighting?  

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

If you’re a Hodge winner and a 6x world-level champ, you’re technique, understanding of strategy, and understanding of timing is going to be off the charts, particularly when compared with college-level talent. (He even won two world titles with serious injuries, which likely means he had to reformulate his entire approach in order to win.)

What you’re saying is comparable to saying Steph Curry just makes tons of three pointers, how could he possibly coach college kids.  

But, the flipside to that is, none of those accomplishments mean you can teach others, let alone be great at teaching others.  They are NOT mutually exclusive...

11 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

But, the flipside to that is, none of those accomplishments mean you can teach others, let alone be great at teaching others.  They are NOT mutually exclusive...

Or recruit

32 minutes ago, MDC said:

I get what you are saying in a way in that an amazing freestyle wrestler won’t necessary be a great folk style coach.

But Burroughs has adapted significantly to deal with losing a step and he has added a killer single leg. His hand fighting is fantastic as is his defense. He might also be the most clutch mat savvy wrestler our country has ever produced. He is more than just a great double legger.

He has an incredible mindset and never seems to get too down or too high.

All that aside, Burroughs was also a fantastic collegiate wrestler. Look at his bracket his senior year (I think it was his senior year) as it was absolutely stacked yet he dominated. He was super dominant his last two years when he made massive jumps in his game.

And all of this aside, as you say, he would be a great recruiter. And recruiter is arguably even more important than being a good coach. He is also a great communicator which would have benefits as a coach.

I don’t know if he will ever get into coaching but if he does I’m sure he would excel at it. It’d be great for the sport so I’d love to see it.

Edited by wamba

Just now, wamba said:

I get what you are saying in a way in that an amazing freestyle wrestler won’t necessary be a great folk style coach.

But Burroughs has adapted significantly. Has he has aged he has added a single leg. His hand fighting is fantastic as is his defense. He might also be the most clutch mat savvy wrestler ever. He has an incredible mindset and never seems to get too down or too high.

All that aside, Burroughs was also a fantastic collegiate wrestler. Look at his bracket his senior year (I think it was his senior year). He was super dominant his last two years when he made massive gaps.

And all of this aside, he would be a great recruiter as you say. And recruiter is arguably even more important than being a good coach. 

I don’t know if he will ever get into coaching but if he does I’m sure he would excel at it. It’d be great for the sport so I’d love to see it.

The REAL truth is that the best head coaches bring in the best staff for the on the mat stuff anyway.  Make no mistake, PSU is great on the mat because they have Casey Cunningham, Cody Sanderson, Jake Varner and even Jimmy Kennedy.  

If JB could recruit like his recognition suggests, the key would be the staff he puts together.  He would need to work on the CEO type processes that come with the job, but the right support staff could definitely make for a really tough product on the mat.  It is just too early to tell if he can be a Rob Koll or Tom Ryan type or the quiet my name speaks for itself like Cael type and put all the parts in around him(Funding, RTC, staff and recruiting) that would put him at the top.

I am not saying he isn't capable of it.  I just don't like anointing the best wrestler as automatically the best coach.  DI Wrestling is the one sport I see where that success is almost a demanded prerequisite to even being considered as a Head Coach and I don't always believe it is the best approach to getting a Head Coach that can see things from all angles...

3 hours ago, Konquest said:

This.  100%.  He'll go the entrepreneur/private club route, be a media ambassador, and obviously have some connections to college programs/RTC's, but I don't see him as an NCAA HC, ever.

I want to be VERY clear that I do not mean this in the racially loaded way (ie. "well spoken"): JB is incredibly articulate, carries himself well and oozes charisma.  He ought to have a job for life as being the face of USAW, even after he's done competing.  If he weren't 5'7" with gnarly ears, he's the type of athlete I could see crossing over into Hollywood.  I also see him opening his gym and it quickly expanding into a network of gyms in the Northeast, ala Ben Askren in Wisconsin who now has like 4 gyms with a network of coaches on his payroll.  Who wouldn't want to wrestle for team JB?

As an educator, when I hear and/or read JB, what's clear to me is that he values reflection. Not only collecting his thoughts and feelings, but taking the time to write them down,  challenge them, and present them after internal deliberation, probably in conversation with people he trusts too. I'm sure majoring in sociology was helpful in establishing that practice. I imagine he could write something longer after he steps away from competition, and that it'd be good. 

He's great on camera too! Easy on the eyes. Uses a vocabulary that's well informed but still accessible. It certainly appears that he's practiced speaking a lot more than other wrestlers, and if he hasn't, then that's a true talent that he's still growing into. 

Obviously, I agree that the future is bright for Jordan Burroughs. 

Iowa would be crazy to get rid of the Brands Brothers and they’re not going to anytime soon. 

However, from what I have seen*, JB has been elite at everything he has ever done. College wrestler, international wrestler, and now public/media figure. 

He is head and shoulders above Dake and Taylor in media presentation and can make a career out of that alone. 

Somehow I think if he decided to go into coaching he would figure it out. 

*maybe y’all know about his failure as a junior in college to learn mandarin or have seen his subpar cubism paintings

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

The REAL truth is that the best head coaches bring in the best staff for the on the mat stuff anyway.  Make no mistake, PSU is great on the mat because they have Casey Cunningham, Cody Sanderson, Jake Varner and even Jimmy Kennedy.  

If JB could recruit like his recognition suggests, the key would be the staff he puts together.  He would need to work on the CEO type processes that come with the job, but the right support staff could definitely make for a really tough product on the mat.  It is just too early to tell if he can be a Rob Koll or Tom Ryan type or the quiet my name speaks for itself like Cael type and put all the parts in around him(Funding, RTC, staff and recruiting) that would put him at the top.

I am not saying he isn't capable of it.  I just don't like anointing the best wrestler as automatically the best coach.  DI Wrestling is the one sport I see where that success is almost a demanded prerequisite to even being considered as a Head Coach and I don't always believe it is the best approach to getting a Head Coach that can see things from all angles...

This is a good point and I agree with you.

14 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Did he explain how he was going to pull that off? Not many other revenue streams in wrestling after competing is over other than coaching in some form or fashion.

He did not specifically say what he would be doing. He is an incredible person. He will figure it out. Maybe he finds some sort of role with USAW. I am not sure. It was just very clear that he did not want to coach and he will not be going into MMA.