Sign in to follow this  
Wrestleknownothing

With Seeds Coming out Tonight...

I thought I would share how the Big 3 title contenders this year have performed relative to their seed for the past ten years.

image.thumb.png.68ba5d8c639ca136e1c76b77c0801fdf.png

The upper graph shows what the average seed is for each team for each of the last ten years. As a reminder, for the years where seeds ended at 8 (2011 - 2012) or 12 (2013 - 2018) I use the mid-point of the unseeded position for all unseeded wrestlers (normalized seed).

The lower graph is the difference between the normalized seed and the finish.

Observations:

• Strong correlation between seed and deviation (duh)
  • 2017 was a tough year for Michigan
  • 2019 was a strong tourney for Iowa.
  • It is not your imagination, PSU performs the best at NCAAs relative to their seed.

Removing the year granularity and looking at it for the ten years as a group.

image.thumb.png.7460c277653b2081965ab113d8a9a905.png

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Any of these will work.

Synonyms for Bar graph:
  • n. • coordinate, axis, design, curve. •Other relevant words: (noun) bar chart, chart.
  • Other synonyms: • graphically, visual, organogram, map, flow chart, diagram, organigram, Gantt chart, line graph, spreadsheet, floor plan, cross-section, Venn Diagram, flow sheet, y-axis, x-axis, tabular,

46 minutes ago, ionel said:

Good stuff!  It'd be interesting to see top 3 conferences places translated to seeds to final NCAA placement.  We know you can whip this out in 5 minutes or less.  :)

Sounds like a betting opportunity. Loser has to type all that in. Wait, that makes me and @BerniePragle losers for typing in the brackets. That can't be right. Never mind.

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I thought I would share how the Big 3 title contenders this year have performed relative to their seed for the past ten years.

image.thumb.png.68ba5d8c639ca136e1c76b77c0801fdf.png

The upper graph shows what the average seed is for each team for each of the last ten years. As a reminder, for the years where seeds ended at 8 (2011 - 2012) or 12 (2013 - 2018) I use the mid-point of the unseeded position for all unseeded wrestlers (normalized seed).

The lower graph is the difference between the normalized seed and the finish.

Observations:

• Strong correlation between seed and deviation (duh)
  • 2017 was a tough year for Michigan
  • 2019 was a strong tourney for Iowa.
  • It is not your imagination, PSU performs the best at NCAAs relative to their seed.

Removing the year granularity and looking at it for the ten years as a group.

image.thumb.png.7460c277653b2081965ab113d8a9a905.png

So, for the ten years it looks like PSU outperforms Iowa by a little less than one (place vs seed).  At first, I thought that was small potatoes, but then I realized... Small potatoes if you're seeded 16, not small potatoes if you're seeded 1.  They may want to hire you in Vegas.