Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Singlet vs. grappling two piece

I personally believe that "touching" is bigger than the singlet issue and the reason that some of the decision makers at the highest level don't know it is because they don't coach youth wrestling and don't have the privilege of building those relationships with mothers and kids that don't stay around. As others on this thread have stated, some of the same kids that may complain about wearing a singlet also will wear dry fit gear in a practice lol.

I do understand why some of the bigger guys are self aware regarding how their bodies look in singlets but we should not under estimate the influence of a mom that chased after the football and bball players and the dad who never wrestled and teases the kid about wrestling.

Touching is an issue for many kids yes. Is it a bigger issue? Probably, but those kids aren't going to wrestle anyways.

Fix the singlet issue and you may get a few more wrestlers here and there.

There are some issues that can be fixed and others that can't. Lets try to fix the ones that can!

We had a ten team dual event this week, very informal. You saw everything from shorts/tee shirts to singlets. I didn't see anyone wearing compression shorts/shirt.

I liked the old Hofstra two piece, but that's just me. I always hated singlets.

I definitely think the singlet is an issue getting guys into wrestling. Most guys would be more comfortable with compression shorts and shirtless, than in a singlet. It looks cool, like a UFC fighter. For some guys the tightness is an issue, but not as much as cut of the singlet. I think we should give kids an option: singlet, or compression shorts, or even board shorts, with or without an optional compression shirt.

http://shirtlessfreedom.blogspot.com/2009/11/wrestling.html

https://sites.google.com/site/wrestlinguniformoptions/home