Katie

Do any wrestlers avoid the weight room?

It's 2022.  All top Division 1 athletes, much less wrestlers, do strength training.  Even guys who are skinny like Wick and Hamiti, even guys who've transformed their body to shrink like Suriano, all of them.  On the topic of weightlifting, what is crazy to me is how Hayden Hidlay went from being one of the most jacked college wrestlers at 157 to being one of the most jacked college wrestlers at 174.  Dude looks like a cartoon superhero up two weights with no fat whatsoever.  That's like bodybuilder genetics.  Deakin could probably do the same.  20 lbs of solid muscle in one year in a weight cutting sport is nothing to sneeze at.

6 minutes ago, Konquest said:

It's 2022.  All top Division 1 athletes, much less wrestlers, do strength training.  Even guys who are skinny like Wick and Hamiti, even guys who've transformed their body to shrink like Suriano, all of them.  On the topic of weightlifting, what is crazy to me is how Hayden Hidlay went from being one of the most jacked college wrestlers at 157 to being one of the most jacked college wrestlers at 174.  Dude looks like a cartoon superhero up two weights with no fat whatsoever.  That's like bodybuilder genetics.  Deakin could probably do the same.  20 lbs of solid muscle in one year in a weight cutting sport is nothing to sneeze at.

I think Hidlay was cutting a huge amount to make 157. I wonder what he walks around at.

28 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Dake does functional patterns or something like that. Does that involve a weight room?

Don't be fooled by the arms, pecs, etc.  I've met many youngsters anymore who look like Charles Atlas from a distance.  I shake hands with them and their hands are like my wife's when she was 25.  Soft and chubby.  I suspect Noodle-Arms had vise grip hands.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have been so deadly with that cradle.

13 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Don't be fooled by the arms, pecs, etc.  I've met many youngsters anymore who look like Charles Atlas from a distance.  I shake hands with them and their hands are like my wife's when she was 25.  Soft and chubby.  I suspect Noodle-Arms had vise grip hands.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have been so deadly with that cradle.

I talked to one of his teammates once and they said he was crazy strong. But if you walked in off the street and saw him taking the mat against Brucki in Pittsburgh, you would be tempted to run out there and stop the fight for humanitary reasons. But then this happened.

Every college program that I have been around has weight training built into their regimen - even during the season.  They may have the attitude to avoid..but they aren't avoiding. 

2 hours ago, Konquest said:

Exactly...it's built into the regimen along with diet. They may have the "attitude" to stay away...but they can't avoid. 

17 hours ago, Michael Hansen said:

My kid is an 184lber.  He walks around at about 182.  He’ll be dropping to 174 next season and lifts every day and has since his jr year in HS.  

He wrestled a great match going for 3rd at Pac12s!

17 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

What happened to your wife’s hands after 25 is my main question here?