fadzaev2

Your single greatest NCAA finals match of all time

12 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

McIlravy, if I remember correctly, was pulled out of redshirt late his freshman year maybe right before the Big Ten Championship.  He came from behind to beat Abas 16-15 just about on the buzzer....doesn't get much better than thatl

Yes, hit several takedowns after cutting him in about 35 seconds, it was awesome

11 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

1993, 134 lbs.  Jaworsky over Kolat.  I think most people thought Kolat would never lose a match.  He ran out of gas.  Jaworsky was 3x NCAA champ though.

That was after he transferred from Okie State, because Smith wanted him to cut down lower than he was comfortable with. Smith also told him "You can't win it anywhere else!" 

10 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Mehki Lewis becoming VT’s first natty champ as the #8 seed over multi time champ Joseph 

Joseph pinning Imar was much, much, much bigger. Imar was well on his way to becoming a dominating one-career-loss 4x'er and the crowd erupted the loudest it had been since Bubba pinned Taylor.

Joseph pinning Imar was much, much, much bigger. Imar was well on his way to becoming a dominating one-career-loss 4x'er and the crowd erupted the loudest it had been since Bubba pinned Taylor.

Interesting that, as a result of that match, IMAR had two career losses at that point - both by LBF to PSU guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

That was after he transferred from Okie State, because Smith wanted him to cut down lower than he was comfortable with. Smith also told him "You can't win it anywhere else!" 

I did not know that.  When you look at what those 2 did in HS, college, and after college...hard to top that match.

5 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

No joy on Dustin Fox/JD Bergman's finals match?

If all I knew about JD Bergman was that dancing bear snoozefest, there is absolutely no way you could convince me that he was previously a 3x AA at 197. Thank god there are 285s that actually like to create offense nowadays.

13 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Mehki Lewis becoming VT’s first natty champ as the #8 seed over multi time champ Joseph 

He was a junior world champ at the time, so he wasn’t exactly a typical 8 seed.  But it was still an impressive and unexpected run.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

He was a junior world champ at the time, so he wasn’t exactly a typical 8 seed.  But it was still an impressive and unexpected run.

One of my faves, sitting in the middle of a Pennsylvania State group at Pittsburgh. This being Joseph’s home town also. 

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

I did not know that.  When you look at what those 2 did in HS, college, and after college...hard to top that match.

There was a guy that left Okie State for the same reason and he won 3 or 4 D2 titles.

13 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

its like the "dark horse" AA topics...people just post what they would  like as fans, blissfullly unaware of the sport as a whole.

OH.....I'm fully aware of the sport.....42 NCAA Championships,  36 in a row, around 30 Big Ten Championships,  and that's just a small segment of the resume.  This is good stuff!!

Edited by fadzaev2

15 hours ago, Wrestle81 said:

1-Patrick Milkovich vs John Fritz 2- Gene Mills vs. Joe Gonzalez 3- Kyle Dake vs David Taylor 4-Kyle Snyder vs Nick Gwiz 5-Cael Sanderson vs John Trenge...all great bouts

Gene Mills vs. Joe Gonzalez - Gets my vote - did not see Patrick Milkovich vs John Fritz

55 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

If all I knew about JD Bergman was that dancing bear snoozefest, there is absolutely no way you could convince me that he was previously a 3x AA at 197. Thank god there are 285s that actually like to create offense nowadays.

I was once deployed ModLoc on a navy ship off the Coast of Beirut for a month and it didn't seem as long (or boring) as that match.

JD was a fantastic wrestler (and even better broadcaster!), but that match...

4 hours ago, TexRef said:

I thought he transferred because of the sanctions Oklahoma State was looking at.