patmilkovich

Decrease in FALLS and increase in OT's since 70's...why?

I think the decrease in falls is attributed to the implementation of the tech fall rule. Surprised it took so long for someone to mention this.

The increase in OT is interesting. I have not seen any good explanations for this. What gives? Maybe the average points scored per match decreased. Tech falls would need to be removed from that data set to determine this.

Again. Even if you ascribe a lot of it to the tech fall. Which I think has contributed  some as well.

Because like many real world things.. it’s complex and multifaceted. 

However, 

There truly is no good faith argument that doesn’t acknowledge the rise in parity and quality of competition.. especially at the college level. The number of places for the best kids to go literally shrunk. there has been a massive spread of good coaching to younger ages and to more schools and clubs etc etc

Hell, I’m pretty sure you even said “kids training year round and less places for competition to go has nothing to do with it” with a straight face. 

Not acknowledging the rise of parity and technical acumen and just blaming it not so subtly on the “younger generations” and a couple of rules.. is a deliberately disingenuous argument 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, OldGrappler said:

...(Gets away from the original topic, but a lot of the four point "near falls" that I see are in no way, shape or form worth two takedowns.)

Combine that with bottom wrestlers understanding that they cannot afford higher risk moves for reversals that might end up with the referee "swiping" four points on them, or even a quick two points, and you get a lot more conservative bottom wrestling tactics.   Get to your feet, and stay up, and the top man almost has to let you go to avoid a stalling call.

Not a fan of the four point near fall either.  Taking into account most TDs are follow shortly by an escape, One four NF can equal 4 TDs

8 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Not a fan of the four point near fall either.  Taking into account most TDs are follow shortly by an escape, One four NF can equal 4 TDs

At the highest level, NF points of any value are usually the end of the match.