NJDan

Can Penn State Get 5

I believe the record for champs in a single NCAA tournament is five. Iowa did that in 1997. (Has anyone one else done it.) Iowa won five with a 6 seed (Whitmer) and a 5 seed (Fulhart) winning titles. The Other three were #1 seeds. Penn State has four #1 seeds and a #2 seed who is still likely the favorite. They also have a #4 seed, Kerkvliet, though none is giving him a chance. 

On paper, PSU has a better chance at five than Iowa did. But what are their chances of actually doing it.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Oh, right, and in five straight weights, 149 through 184.  Three of  were #1 seeds, and one was a #2 seed.

2 were 1 seeds Zain and Nolf won as the 1 seed , Cenzo beat Imar as the 3 , Hall won as the 5 seed and Nickel beat Dean as the 2 …also Suriano was the 2 or 3 and injury defaulted out , more than likely he beats Cruz in the finals if healthy 

Just now, portajohn said:

There you go again speaking nonsense.  Rivera has never beaten Nick lee

I think he meant have and can, with Rivera being in the "can" category. So no need to get all up in his face on this one.

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

2 were 1 seeds Zain and Nolf won as the 1 seed , Cenzo beat Imar as the 3 , Hall won as the 5 seed and Nickel beat Dean as the 2 …also Suriano was the 2 or 3 and injury defaulted out , more than likely he beats Cruz in the finals if healthy 

My bad. I guess Cenzo was The #1 seed the next year.

Just now, NJDan said:

My bad. I guess Cenzo was The #1 seed the next year.

Cenzo was never the 1 seed because he never won big tens , took 3rd as freshman , lost Imar as a sophomore , lost to the bull as a jr, and lost to the bull in the Covid year …

Pretty wild that in 2017. Rs freshman Cenzo beat rs freshman Massa in the semis and somehow Massa is still competing and still has yet to get back to the semis 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I think he meant have and can, with Rivera being in the "can" category. So no need to get all up in his face on this one.

Have is used as plural.  You wouldn't say, "Eierman have beaten Lee."  He meant both Eierman and Rivera

2 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Have is used as plural.  You wouldn't say, "Eierman have beaten Lee."  He meant both Eierman and Rivera

If so, his problem is grammar, not wrestling knowledge. And now I agree with you. Any man who cannot conjugate a verb deserves to have his ass kicked.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

If so, his problem is grammar, not wrestling knowledge. And now I agree with you. Any man who cannot conjugate a verb deserves to have his ass kicked.

Where have you been?  His problem is & has been wrestling knowledge.  He spreads more disinformation on this board than the Russian propaganda machine.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Oklahoma state has also done it, 2005 I think?

That is correct.  That team had some studs

Esposito, Hendricks, Pendleton, Rosholt (thank Stender for knocking off Trenge), and Mocco. 

22 minutes ago, portajohn said:

That is correct.  That team had some studs

Esposito, Hendricks, Pendleton, Rosholt (thank Stender for knocking off Trenge), and Mocco. 

And Hendricks can thank true frosh Perry for knocking off Letters. Not a good semis for LU.

LU's after finals party was in tent outside Hard Rock. Okie State's was inside the Hard Rock. Awkward walk inside to use restrooms...

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Cinnabon clearly said “have and can”, not “have or can”. Maybe we’ve discovered another alias. 

With 4 1 seeds and a 2 that's probably the betting favorite, I think they probably have a better chance of getting 5 this year than they had of getting 4 going into last year's NCAA's (where they won as one 1 seed, two 2 seeds and a 3 seed). 

But don't think it happens.

I would handicap the potential PSU champions as follows - from most likely to least likely:

1 Lee. - I think with Eiierman and Seabass hurt, he is pretty much a lock - maybe not as much as Gable and Yianni but close

2. Starocci - I just do not think Kemerer is healthy enough to seriously challenge him

3. Brooks - I love Myles but its hard to bet against a PSU talent like Brooks when Cael & Company have 2 weeks to prepare

4. RBY - he is awfully good but I think Fix is a man possessed and in my mind favored

5. Dean - he can win but he could also lose Friday - either in the AM or PM - and then if he won both he COULD lose on Saturday night 

7 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

I would handicap the potential PSU champions as follows - from most likely to least likely:

1 Lee. - I think with Eiierman and Seabass hurt, he is pretty much a lock - maybe not as much as Gable and Yianni but close

2. Starocci - I just do not think Kemerer is healthy enough to seriously challenge him

3. Brooks - I love Myles but its hard to bet against a PSU talent like Brooks when Cael & Company have 2 weeks to prepare

4. RBY - he is awfully good but I think Fix is a man possessed and in my mind favored

5. Dean - he can win but he could also lose Friday - either in the AM or PM - and then if he won both he COULD lose on Saturday night 

The weight has much more then kemmer mahki may have shot

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The abacus (pre-NCAA release expected early this week, of course, working on something extra for the team metrics) predicts four, with Starocci (who the abacus has not liked all season for some reason) missing.

Beware. It sounds like the abacus has become self aware. It wasn't much after that event that Skynet launched the nukes.