Katie

Greatest ectomorphs in NCAA history

13 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Getting there. 

Again, this might be in my head. Marstellar, Fix, Whittlake, and AD weren't.

But Mastro, Young, Stika, Harper, Camacho, Jack(s), Wilson, Trumble are.

I don't think its just in your head.  And it goes a long way back.  According to the below linked article, "in selecting wrestlers for his program, Gallagher favored a specific type of physique. He sought 'lean plainsmen' -- tall, slim, strong men, rather than compact, muscular types who were typical in college wrestling even 80-90 years ago. Ideally, these long, lean wrestlers must have quick reactions, according to the coach's criteria."

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3943/Rev-Rewind-Ed-Gallagher?

First, let me say that these tall lanky guys are often way stronger than they look! With the added leverage they have, they often feel like the strongest guys to wrestle. I think most would say John Smith fits this bill, so he is probably the answer to the question 

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Eye Eyeroll GIF - Eye Eyeroll The Office GIFs

Watching people who supposedly wrestled for a least a few years or even at a high level repeatedly and over and over exclaiming in “shock” at how “strong” long lanky guys are.. it gets to be a solid indicator. I also watch them pass up on recruiting those kids

42 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Watching people who supposedly wrestled for a least a few years or even at a high level repeatedly and over and over exclaiming in “shock” at how “strong” long lanky guys are.. it gets to be a solid indicator. I also watch them pass up on recruiting those kids

Re shock: I am always shocked when fireplugs worry about wrestling tall guys. I'm tall, and I always hated wrestling fireplugs. There was nothing to shoot at.  It was hard to tie up their arms/hand. I was worried about their short offense. 

Edited by jackwebster

20 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I think his career would be a great subject for a documentary. He was once Nolf's potential rival, but now is often the butt of jokes. A look at life in the shadow of his father would be compelling.

Edited by Janderson133
double post

20 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I think his career would be a great subject for a documentary. He was once Nolf's potential rival, but now is often the butt of jokes. A look at life in the shadow of his father would be compelling.

Be a good topic on the difficulties of coaching your own son also - obviously not easy at a high level.

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Re shock: I am always shocked when fireplugs worry about wrestling tall guys. I'm tall, and I always hated wrestling fireplugs. There was nothing to shoot at.  It was hard to tie up their arms/hand. I was worried about their short offense. 

I understand it from long lanky guys but again. The way certain people express such shock always tells me a bunch

23 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Getting there. 

Again, this might be in my head. Marstellar, Fix, Whittlake, and AD weren't.

But Mastro, Young, Stika, Harper, Camacho, Jack(s), Wilson, Trumble are.

Yes, Jack was one of the first to come to mind for me.

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I wrestled a "small person" when I was a freshman in high school at 103.  Not sure if anyone else had wrestled a dwarf but with such short stocky legs it does make you rethink how you may generate any offense.  I lost the match.  He was insanely strong and I couldn't get a Takedown

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

"Fireplug" here who enjoyed wrestling tall lanky guys.  : )

Jack Spates, Rico Chiapparelli, Greg Jones, Gregor Gillespie, Chris Taylor, Derek Moore, Quentin Wright, John Smith.

Someone listed Marsteller. I thought he was mesomorph all the way...stocky, muscular, not tall, etc.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, jackwebster said:

Fwiw most of the guys mentioned only look skinny in comparison to the Kharchla's that they are wrestling, e.g. I was coaching against Kendall Cross at Super 32 and that dude had broader shoulders than me and I'm 6'. 

Had Kendall up here a few years ago fishing and doing clinics. Good guy.

2 hours ago, Old Corps said:

Jack Spates, Rico Chiapparelli, Greg Jones, Gregor Gillespie, Chris Taylor, Derek Moore, Quentin Wright, John Smith.

Someone listed Marsteller. I thought he was mesomorph all the way...stocky, muscular, not tall, etc.

Are we talking about the 400 pound Chris Taylor? image.jpeg.cc69ae23b015288db0b6d2520ef9e18f.jpeg

8 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

Had Kendall up here a few years ago fishing and doing clinics. Good guy.

Alaska ... reminds me of another tall: Byers. It might be you. If so, you were hella mean. Respect.

Edited by jackwebster

On 3/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, jackwebster said:

One of my drill partners was a year behind me and a weight below me.  I was 6'3 160 as a sr in HS.  He was 5'5 152 as a jr.  Made for some good battles in the room.  I finished 8th at state as a sr and he would win state the next year as a sr.  I could ankle pick him to death.  If he got in close he could get to my legs but had a hard time finishing on me.  On top, he could get a quick stand up, but if I flattened him out I could cradle him pretty easily.  On bottom, he had a very tough time riding me ( and just about everybody else. He was a TD machine his sr year).  we wrestled each other off and on in grade school and were drill partners in HS.  I'd say in our official matches, we split the pretty evenly.  Consequently, I didn't really worry too much about wrestling shorter guys.